Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: This Day in History  (Read 200044 times)

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #750 on: May 16, 2023, 09:55:57 AM
1152.  King Henry II of England (19) weds Eleanor of Aquitaine (30).

A jolly Christmas of that typical English family, the Plantagenets.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fKoYHKpCSc4&pp=ygUadGhlIGxpb24gaW4gd2ludGVyIHRyYWlsZXI%3D

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #751 on: May 16, 2023, 12:03:02 PM
I remember that wedding. I was carrying Eleanor's train for her. Then later me and the Beef-Eaters got 'royally' drunk.   :party:

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #752 on: May 16, 2023, 07:18:52 PM
Here's A gumdrop of knowledge.
When chess was invented in India, the powerful piece was called the Grand Vizier, or the General.
The first time it was called the Queen, was at a winter court of Queen Eleanor.

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #753 on: May 19, 2023, 09:26:20 AM
In 1777, Frederick the Great of Prussia declared, "Many battles have been fought and won by soldiers nourished on beer, and the king does not believe that coffee drinking soldiers can be  depended upon."He barred his soldiers from imbibing this beverage.
Frederick was quite disappointed with coffee.  As a young man, he finally got access to a splendid library (his father believed books and culture would make him a sissy).  Enjoying himself thoroughly, he felt sleep was a waste of time.  For most of a week, he tried to avoid sleeping by drinking fifty cups of strong coffee a day.
It took almost two years for his digestion to recover.

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #754 on: May 19, 2023, 11:26:57 AM
Geez, no wonder he was always invading somebody.  :o

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

GROGnadsUSA

Reply #755 on: May 19, 2023, 04:48:17 PM
Geez, no wonder he was always invading somebody. :o
Yes, them 'Bohemian Bier & Pretzels' "WAR Games" had made HIM: "Bloodthirsty"-!   8)

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #756 on: May 20, 2023, 11:08:55 AM
In 1498, Portuguese explorer Vasco de Game arrives in Calicut, India. 
After this auspicious event, all navigators will be nicknamed Vasco.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #757 on: May 21, 2023, 10:12:22 AM
In 1762, the Spanish frigate Hermione was captured off of Cadiz by the British ships Active and Favorite.  The Hermione was transporting the annual treasure of Peru to Spain.
Prize Money was the value of a captured ship and it's cargo, determined by a Royal Court.  The value of this capture was set at a very uninflated 519,705 pounds.
In the past, all captures were the property of the crown, who got the value of the captures, Droits of the Crown.  However, the king - God bless him - gave over his captures to the Lord High Admiral, Droits de Admiralty, who shared it with the sailors who actually accomplished the captures.
Thus admiral Hawke (victor of Quivering Bay but was not even present),  and Captains Pownall and Sawyer 65,000 pounds each.  Then using traditional rules, each crew member received their share.  Even the lowliest cabin boy had a share, in the case 482 pounds. Taking into account inflation and various costs of living, this comes out to about $180,000 in today's money.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #758 on: May 21, 2023, 10:55:18 AM
that's good money for a cabin boy

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #759 on: May 24, 2023, 10:43:58 AM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tRzNr9Q9iOw&pp=ygUYc3F1YWx1cyBzdWJtYXJpbmUgcmVzY3Vl

On this day in 1939, Swede Momsen saves 33 crew of the sunken sub, Squalus.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #760 on: May 26, 2023, 09:22:05 AM
On this day in 1789, a duel was fought between the Duke of York, colonel of the Coldstream Guards, and lt. Colonel Charles Lennox of the Cold stream Guards.  Firing first, Lennox slightly wounded the Duke, who chivalrously refused to fire.

In 1922, Lenin suffered a stroke, which unfortunately was not fatal.

In 1946, the US filed for a patent on the H bomb.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #761 on: May 27, 2023, 10:31:08 AM
1541.  Margaret de la Poole, 67, beheaded for being catholic and royal.
1606, the False Dmitri, usurping tsar, butchered by the people of Muscovy.
1610, Francis Ravallaic, 32, hung, drawn and quartered for the murder of French king Henri IV.
1661.  Archibald Campbell, chief of clan Campbell, beheaded.

A busy day.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #762 on: May 27, 2023, 03:51:31 PM
1541.  Margaret de la Poole, 67, beheaded for being catholic and royal.
1606, the False Dmitri, usurping tsar, butchered by the people of Muscovy.
1610, Francis Ravallaic, 32, hung, drawn and quartered for the murder of French king Henri IV.
1661.  Archibald Campbell, chief of clan Campbell, beheaded.
1941.  Admiral Gunter Luytjens and approximately 1,500 crew of battleship Bismarck.

A busy day.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #763 on: May 28, 2023, 09:56:07 AM
On this day in 1509, Catering Sforza Riario de'Medici, the tigress of Forli, died.  A woman of the Renaissance, she schemed, and fought, with kings, popes, condotterio, and brigands.  A foe of Cesar Borgia, when Forli was besieged, she refused to surrender.  The attackers brought out her children and threatened to kill them.  Sneering, she cupped her belly and said, "I can always make more."

In 1967, Sir Francis Chichester was knighted by Queen Elizabeth fII for making the first solo, non stop, circumnavigation of the globe.  The sword used was the same one that Queen Elizabeth I used to knight  Francis Drake after his round the world voyage.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #764 on: May 28, 2023, 12:19:58 PM

In 1967, Sir Francis Chichester was knighted by Queen Elizabeth fII for making the first solo, non stop, circumnavigation of the globe.  The sword used was the same one that Queen Elizabeth I used to knight  Francis Drake after his round the world voyage.

That is awesome!  :rockon:

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners