Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Micro-transactions in TTRPGs?  (Read 7003 times)

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
on: September 23, 2019, 01:54:14 PM
https://comicbook.com/gaming/2019/09/23/dungeons-and-dragons-microtransactions/

Scott Thorne's weekly "Rolling for Initiative" column discussed ways for board game retailers to boost their revenue, whether it's through renting games or via the popular board game/cafe model. Thorne also noted that some stores are exploring the pay-to-roleplay model, in which players pay for a seat at an RPG table. Paying to play a tabletop RPG isn't a new experience (conventions do this all the time), but Thorne notes that some stores are using a microtransaction model to enhance playing experiences. "Other stores with successful pay-to-play programs further monetize the sessions by stocking gumball style machines with plastic capsules containing in-game bonuses such as a +1 to hit, a potion of healing, or a certificate giving the player a rare pet," Thorne notes. "Sometimes these machines clear $50 to $200 per day with huge profit margins."

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 09:21:02 AM
Wow, that's a brilliant idea.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 03:59:07 PM
Uh...why would I pay to play an RPG when I could play D&D adventurers league or pathfinder league for free at most lgs? Heck you can even sign up for free campaigns run thru fantasy grounds for several different RPGs.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 04:26:54 PM
Uh...why would I pay to play an RPG when I could play D&D adventurers league or pathfinder league for free at most lgs? Heck you can even sign up for free campaigns run thru fantasy grounds for several different RPGs.

These transactions are at the game stores. They're packing gumball machines with pop-open containers that include in-game bonuses like healing potions or +1 die adjustments.

You're playing for free.  You're paying for upgrades

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 04:29:37 PM
Some FLGSs will charge a fee for sitting and gaming, whether it's RPGs or board games (five bucks seems to be a standard I've heard, at least it was in the Houston area).

I don't know how they'd tie that to a GM running a game, unless it was a store employee doing so to run a promo of a company's product.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #5 on: September 24, 2019, 04:31:34 PM
People pay for sillier things I guess but it really seems to undermine the basic concept of most RPGs...adventure to gain special items or character advancements. It really seems like a silly MMO promo you’d see to renew your subscription to world of Warcraft or Everquest. I fully admit I’ve purchased such silly thing things in my MMO playing days. 😔

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #6 on: September 24, 2019, 04:35:54 PM
Well D&D Adventures League does promos and provides materials for stores to run the game and give to DMs and occasionally players. Now there are issues I’ve seen at some Adventures League games. The biggest is a lack of DMs and some stores the groups are pretty exclusive and not very welcoming to new or younger players. Sad state of course but people are occasionally asses and store owners let it go.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #7 on: September 24, 2019, 04:36:17 PM

These transactions are at the game stores. They're packing gumball machines with pop-open containers that include in-game bonuses like healing potions or +1 die adjustments.

You're playing for free.  You're paying for upgrades

No self respecting DM would allow that in their campaign.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #8 on: September 24, 2019, 04:37:54 PM
Hell at my table it’s generally a given I’m giving the party, especially at 1st level, a couple of healing potions to stave off TPKs.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #9 on: September 24, 2019, 04:46:40 PM
As long as it's you the GM do it that's perfectly fine. But no way I would allow someone to jump up and go buy a gumball to improve a die roll on their own whenever they wanted to.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #10 on: September 24, 2019, 05:02:40 PM
Totally agree with you. It just seems silly and undermines the group and DM. It’s hard enough to balance an adventure without this sort of inject into the game.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #11 on: September 24, 2019, 05:06:10 PM
As long as it's you the GM do it that's perfectly fine. But no way I would allow someone to jump up and go buy a gumball to improve a die roll on their own whenever they wanted to.

That's what I'm trying to wrap my mind around. Unless it's some official store event, or the DM is getting a taste, I can't quite grasp how this is working, and the article is woefully short on details.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #12 on: September 24, 2019, 05:14:26 PM
It’s just silly. There are so many ways games do this within the context of the game and play ground. 5e allows for the DM to give out advantages, which basically is a reward for good RPGing. It allows a play to reroll or have an advantage roll on an attack or skill check. Star Wars has a similar function. Or frankly most GMs I’ve seen give all sorts of bonuses throughout a session to the players if things get a little out of hand. Of course, I also like to run the occasional old school traps kill instantly type adventures. So let the dice roll what they may.

Funny enough I was reading a basic fantasy adventure in development and one of the encounter rooms has three portals. Two teleport the player to another room and the third permanently   encases the player in stone in another dimension. Talk about a brutal and out of no where outcome! Haha gotta love it. 

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #13 on: September 24, 2019, 05:16:24 PM
Funny enough I was reading a basic fantasy adventure in development and one of the encounter rooms has three portals. Two teleport the player to another room and the third permanently   encases the player in stone in another dimension. Talk about a brutal and out of no where outcome! Haha gotta love it.

I hope that's for low-level adventurers. Man what a pisser THAT would be if your high-level warrior or mage or whatever just happened to pick the wrong gate.  ;D

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #14 on: September 24, 2019, 05:20:08 PM
It’s just as bad in this one because your characters have probably just reach the point of leveling up to level two or maybe three and bam reroll pal! Meanwhile the table is mocking your demise as they get ready level up.