Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Battle Hymn – Pea Ridge  (Read 5184 times)

judgedredd

Reply #1 on: January 18, 2023, 01:23:03 PM
The Confederates have grabbed Leetown but were pushed out...though it's still under Confederate control for the moment

The Union have put some blocking forces to the west and north of Welfley's Knoll and managed to hold back The Missouri State Guard and Price's Division at Elkhorn Tavern

The Confederate low morale is a bugger in this scenario. They're generally attacking at 1 or 2

judgedredd

Reply #2 on: January 18, 2023, 01:24:03 PM
I think the Union have screwed up (and by the Union, I'm referring to me). I thought a dismounted cavalry unit and a horse artillery unit were enough to use as a blocking force. It wasn't and now the centre has opened up.

If the Confederates get the victory location on Telegraph Road, they'll have 2 victory locations on the first day and win...if they can hold them until 17:00 (it's currently 14:00) which is entirely another matter

I really, really love this game...but combat can get very, very messy and confusing

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #3 on: January 18, 2023, 07:34:41 PM
Enjoying following this battle. 

I really, really love this game...but combat can get very, very messy and confusing

Seems about right for the way battles unfolded during the period.  Unless you are talking about the game mechanics.

judgedredd

Reply #4 on: January 19, 2023, 01:40:56 AM
Game mechanics

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #5 on: January 19, 2023, 10:22:48 AM
Game mechanics

Thats unfortunate.  Does it ruin the game experience?

judgedredd

Reply #6 on: January 19, 2023, 10:29:07 AM
oh no, not at all.

The mechanics make sense actually...the actual calculations are pretty easy too. It's just keeping an eye on everything.. the actual calculations are pretty easy.

You get several units closing against several enemy units, there's approach fire first, then 1 and potentially 2 rounds of combat. The tricky stuff comes from remembering who attacked what...but as I play, it does seem to be getting easier.

judgedredd

Reply #7 on: January 20, 2023, 04:54:58 AM
It's currently the 7th hour of battle on day 1. 3 hours until night time and some respite.

The Union are just about holding. They are currently in control of all 3 victory locations (Leetown in the west, Pratt's Store in the centre and Elkhorn Tavern in the east). They're under pressure at Elkhorn Tavern in the east which they didn't expect. They have taken back control of Leetown and are holding the centre near Pratt's Store.

The Confederates still field some decent forces though and they have some strong shattered units that have a chance of coming on in the night turn (between 17:00 on the first day and 07:00 on the second). The battle is not over.

NB - I have made some mistakes in the game whilst re-learning the mechanics - particularly my misuse of artillery and cavalry. They can be used as screens, especially cavalry, and attempt to move before combat which I have not been doing. This has resulted in allowing faster movement than probably should've been the case and higher casualties. With regard to artillery - I'm not particularly sure what I should be doing with it...it can't willingly close with the enemy (it - along with cavalry - can't move into an enemy ZOC). I've been using it also as a screening force - but similar to my misuse of cavalry.

I absolutely love this game. Screening. Splitting of combat values across all attacking units. Approach fire. I so wish I could get A Most fearful Sacrifice but alas it's too big for my table.

First image shows the overall situation and the second shows the Confederate Shattered Units waiting to see if they rally and come back on the field.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 12:30:15 PM by judgedredd »