Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: DCS learning advice?  (Read 7485 times)

judgedredd

on: May 29, 2020, 03:17:51 PM
I'm looking for a bit of advice with DCS.

I want to learn it, but I always feel overwhelmed.

So here's my issues. I load up, I load one of my MANY modules, I quick start, because if I HAVE learned to start the ship, I've forgotten, I take off and if I'm lucky, I land safely somewhere.

Obviously I want to do more. I'm happy quick starting the engines for the moment. So what's next? AA weapons? TACAN? Other systems? Gun? Dumb bombs? Smart bombs?

In other words, how do you go about it?

The good news is I'm really interested in the super carrier so I'm only looking at the F18, the F14 and the Harrier...though I'm really leaning towards the F14...but I'm scared weapon employment is more difficult on that bird what with the REO position.

Next choice (and perhaps my first choice) would be the F18

Anyway...whichever bird it is, how do you go about learning it's systems? What order?

Thanks

Dalinore

• Trooper
Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 03:45:21 PM
I am slowly trying to learn myself, but rhere is alot to it there are some good tutorials on you tube Grim Reapers have so teaching videos.

judgedredd

Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 03:48:59 PM
Yeah. I've got slot of their videos bookmarked.

I'm just wondering what order other people learn in. I could watch a video on dropping dumb bombs and jump in. But I'm wondering what other people have done to stay interested

I get is an of question

Dalinore

• Trooper
Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 06:12:13 PM
Well when you find a decent way to learn let me know, I really want to keep trying at it but it just gets so confusing sometimes.

tuna

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
Reply #4 on: March 13, 2023, 09:50:27 AM
What planes were you guys learning? Getting heavily into A10C lately, would love to attempt MP.

TTC

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
Reply #5 on: March 13, 2023, 11:25:23 AM
I've flown a bit of Su-25. I bought a new control system about a month ago, but life has been going to fast for me to try it out yet.

Doctor Quest

• Corporal
  • I'm not a real doctor.
Reply #6 on: March 13, 2023, 11:31:03 AM
Maybe poke around here?

https://www.aetc.af.mil/Flying-Training/

I would think you would want to pick a plane and learn to fly it well. You don't want to be fumbling around with controls or navigation going into a combat situation.

Learn how to deploy your weapons. Again, not something you want to be looking up in manual when some asshole is shooting at you. This may include radar/FLIR/etc operations (which will help with the next topic).

Learn how to target your weapons.

Practice, practice, practice. Chuck Yeager said it best: "There is no substitute for experience."

Just my 2 cents.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 11:46:13 AM by Doctor Quest »

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Something so addictive about the whole kill and loot dynamic, though." - Gusington

tuna

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
Reply #7 on: March 13, 2023, 11:53:18 AM
I feel like learning the SU-25, so I can fly with my son.. it's 'free' and a lil easier than the a-10c.

Though on the other hand, would love to hop in a fighter, may grab f-16 or f-18 next sale. I know F-15 is on sale, but I'd rather 'newer' tech.. I love the helmet cam on the A-10C.. makes SA so much easier. (no longer have to look at something off your wing, and then try to steer the TDC over there, while flying)

Rekim

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #8 on: March 19, 2023, 06:03:28 PM
I've been working on the F5-E with the goal of joining the action on Enigma's Cold War Server. The F5 is a second generation fighter, so relatively simple to learn, and really fun to fly. I've got a handle on the basics at the moment and plan to run through some Red Flag missions to learn some proper BFM skills before I embarrass myself online. Not that that won't happen. It's just really easy to tear off those tiny F5 wings if not handled with care.

BF109 and Ka-50 Blackshark are my other favorites

tuna

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
Reply #9 on: March 22, 2023, 09:27:59 AM
Just grabbed SU-27 and Persian gulf (since DCS on sale this week).. Was tempted to grab f/a-18 or f-16. But then thought to myself, that I should try and get more efficient at the Warthog and learn the Ka-50 first. I mean you buy an expensive plane, then you should be making a valid attempt to learn it. lol, that would be like buying a boardgame and not playing it!  :ROFL:

TTC

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
Reply #10 on: March 22, 2023, 12:06:48 PM
Are the campaigns any good? Recommended?

I assume they involve one airframe and a series of scripted missions -- which I am okay with.

tuna

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
Reply #11 on: March 22, 2023, 12:42:10 PM
I was looking at them, but did not pull the trigger. You are required specific airframe and region.. Think a lot of them are on sale for short money.

judgedredd

Reply #12 on: March 23, 2023, 01:08:21 PM

I assume they involve one airframe and a series of scripted missions -- which I am okay with.
I have several campaigns - but never got to learn the platforms well enough to take part in them.

The only one I have done to a degree is the A-10C Red Flag campaign and the 3 missions I played were very good. I can't attest to the others - but if they are as good as A-10C Red Flag, you can't go wrong. They're all pretty cheap too.

There was one I got which was to do with Flight Training on the A-10C - and that is HARDCORE - I couldn't get on with it at all. You absolutely need to know the platform in order to get this one done. I think it starts with you starting the A-10 and then taxiing and taking off, flying a circular route and coming back. I did it - but it took me about 2 weeks or more to learn the startup procedure (iirc there's no assistance)...I was drained after it and didn't go back...too hardcore for me.

TTC

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
Reply #13 on: March 23, 2023, 01:33:40 PM

I have several campaigns - but never got to learn the platforms well enough to take part in them.

The only one I have done to a degree is the A-10C Red Flag campaign and the 3 missions I played were very good. I can't attest to the others - but if they are as good as A-10C Red Flag, you can't go wrong. They're all pretty cheap too.

There was one I got which was to do with Flight Training on the A-10C - and that is HARDCORE - I couldn't get on with it at all. You absolutely need to know the platform in order to get this one done. I think it starts with you starting the A-10 and then taxiing and taking off, flying a circular route and coming back. I did it - but it took me about 2 weeks or more to learn the startup procedure (iirc there's no assistance)...I was drained after it and didn't go back...too hardcore for me.

Thanks. I added a couple of new airframes, the Persian Gulf, and a cheap campaign or two.

Now to find the time to really learn how to fly...

tuna

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
Reply #14 on: March 23, 2023, 02:22:58 PM
I heard you need 64 Gig of memory to run Persion Gulf. I have it, I haven't flown too much yet, but it does seem to be going okay for me.

JD, there is a quick start video, I forget who, it's not too bad.. lol I've got it down pact now. I think that they turned on switches that were off before, i.e. regular generators, fuel pumps and such.