Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: A controversial opinion?  (Read 5377 times)

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
on: February 22, 2021, 05:00:07 PM
No, not that Firesign Theatre is funnier than Monty Python. That's just straight up fact.

:tickedoff:

No, I think there is something wrong with miniatures games that do not feature changes of formation. Speaking for myself and coming from a background of hex-n-counter games as well as someone who likes to look at those goofy museum dioramas, mini games that don't change formation just don't do it for me. Think about it: do you want to look at six horses (and a flag) on a rectangular base bumping up against ten infantry men (and a flag) on another rectangular base, or do you want to look at reiters doing a caracole?

But, but, but, ..., you say... (Stop doing the motorboat impression!) ...in a big battle, the commander isn't interested in the formations taken by minuscule units. In the first place, ten men and a flag is not an infantry battalion. Just use kriegspiel blocks for the units. (Or glockenspiel blocks, if by spell check has its way.) On a map. It'll look better and you can wear that period uniform you bought and be part of the experience.

Whew. I feel better.

"Man...knowing how to use the cards properly certainly changes how I play the game" -- judgedredd

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 05:11:10 PM
Would it be a caracole, or a Cantabrian circle? Or maybe that's from an earlier period.

I agree with you, although I assume you mean a method (markers?) of identifying exactly what formation the unit is in and it may not mean by physically altering the appearance of the unit on the table? This will obviously require that the game rules also detail when and how the formation change takes place within the game sequence, and the effect this has on the unit both offensively and defensively.

Or maybe I'm just over-thinking it :-)

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 05:25:22 PM
Wait. Are you saying there's something funnier than Monty Python?  ???

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 05:28:23 PM
Inconceivable!

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 06:32:45 PM
Wait. Are you saying there's something funnier than Monty Python?  ???

I am willing to defend that statement.

(Although that's from the mid-80s, so it's not their classic period like Nick Danger or "How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You're Not Anywhere at All".)

"Man...knowing how to use the cards properly certainly changes how I play the game" -- judgedredd

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 06:35:57 PM
Would it be a caracole, or a Cantabrian circle? Or maybe that's from an earlier period.

I agree with you, although I assume you mean a method (markers?) of identifying exactly what formation the unit is in and it may not mean by physically altering the appearance of the unit on the table? This will obviously require that the game rules also detail when and how the formation change takes place within the game sequence, and the effect this has on the unit both offensively and defensively.

Or maybe I'm just over-thinking it :-)

Same thing, I think, but the caracole involves pistoles.

Anyway, I mean having multiple bases so you can physically move the parts of the unit to be in a different formation. And yes, game rules and offensiveness.

Check out last weekend's Saturday Night Fight for an example: Lasalle 2.