Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: New single player game wanted  (Read 35306 times)

judgedredd

on: March 13, 2019, 04:02:04 PM
I know I may well have asked this before, but I'm in the market for another single player game.

Criteria is
  • Counters
  • Single Player
  • Modern Warfare (post 1950)
  • Can be card based instead of die (ala Combat Commander)
  • Needs to have been made in the last 5-10 years (for quality of counters, maps etc)
  • Platoon/Company size

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 04:08:35 PM
https://www.secondchancegames.com/index.php/solitaire/65-squad-level-combat-in-vietnam-alone-in-the-jungle-detail

I know its prior to the period you want, but did you get the solo stuff for CoH?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 04:11:25 PM by bob48 »

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 04:42:15 PM
There's a couple of them from Decision Games that aren't set-the-world-on-fire-awesome, but not bad (note there are other games on this page than just post-1950)

http://shop.decisiongames.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=144

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

judgedredd

Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 05:45:22 PM
https://www.secondchancegames.com/index.php/solitaire/65-squad-level-combat-in-vietnam-alone-in-the-jungle-detail

I know its prior to the period you want, but did you get the solo stuff for CoH?
I did and I'm ashamed to say - I opened it but haven't used it. I find the whole CoH collection (which you sold me at a very generous price) overwhelming...I should've stayed with CoH AtB. The counters are MANY and to get the correct ones for the correct scenarios takes a hell of a doing. On top of that, the Solitaire manual is very big and in conjunction with the original manual is, again, overwhelming.

Not to mention there are 3 games within the set - each with a different manual.

Throw in that the Solitaire expansion is only for AtB and - well...it made me dizzy.  :'(

Loved the idea of these games, but the confusion (or at least perhaps me over thinking things) made it nigh on impossible to get to grips with.

I have some LnL stuff but I find their manuals confusing. I know there's errata out there but going from manual to errata and back just doesn't really open things up for me. There's a LnL set of instructions out - perhaps I'll use the money to buy them. I could download them (I think I actually did anyway) but I hate reading online because I'm coding (reading/writing) at a computer all day and printing them isn't ideal.

All sounds a bit pathetic I know...but my memory retention is pretty poor nowadays anyway, so the less complicated something is, the better and more likely I'll get into it.

judgedredd

Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 05:52:02 PM
There's a couple of them from Decision Games that aren't set-the-world-on-fire-awesome, but not bad (note there are other games on this page than just post-1950)

http://shop.decisiongames.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=144
Thank you. They look mildly interesting...definitely cheap enough. I'm not sure what I think of what seems to be areas of control though...I don't think I've ever played a game like that. I was thinking more along the lines of hexes (didn't mention it mind!)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 05:53:08 PM
JD, the CoH games are well worth a bit of effort. If I were to give you any advice, it would be to just look at AtB and the first small scenario's and work from there, There is a hell of a lot of content, and it can be a bit overwhelming, but not if you take it a step at a time. The system is pretty much set up in a structured way so you don't have to take it all in in one chunk.

Also, if I can help,  just shout.

judgedredd

Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 07:02:16 PM
JD, the CoH games are well worth a bit of effort. If I were to give you any advice, it would be to just look at AtB and the first small scenario's and work from there, There is a hell of a lot of content, and it can be a bit overwhelming, but not if you take it a step at a time. The system is pretty much set up in a structured way so you don't have to take it all in in one chunk.

Also, if I can help,  just shout.
I'm just a lazy bastard I think. If something doesn't  jump at me, I'm lost.

I had played the first two scenarios of AtB when I first got it...but when I got your box(es) and with the solitaire expansion, it blew my head off.

They are there and waiting - but I have the taste for something easy and modern and solitaire at the mo. I have bought LnL World  at War Kickstarter which will come some time this half of the year, so I was busy reading the rules for LnL World at War  Blood and Bridges so I could get a game or two of that going.

Basically, I got some birthday money and it's burning a whole in my wallet and I'd rather spend it on a nice, solitaire, fairly easy, modern warfare board game.

Thanks for the offer of assistance. I do hope to get to CoH again one day...there's a reason I bought the series from you - I did like the mechanics (but then I also like the mechanics of Combat Commander...I'm so confused  :biggrin:

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 07:08:52 PM
Ah, but......no tanks in Combat Commander....................:-)

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 07:14:02 PM
JD, you ever think about Fields of Fire?

https://www.gmtgames.com/p-322-fields-of-fire-2nd-edition.aspx

It has a steep learning curve, but I've heard across the board that it's well worth it. It covers three periods - WWII, Korea, and Vietnam.

I'd also suggest DVG's IAF Leader, Phantom Leader, Warfighter Modern, or anything else they do that might float your boat.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 07:14:55 PM
If I were going to buy a solo game, it would be Fields of Fire.

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #10 on: March 13, 2019, 07:17:57 PM
I had forgotten about that one. And there is a shed -load of DVG titles - are they not solo games?

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #11 on: March 13, 2019, 07:21:09 PM
Aren't most DVG games solo? Probably not platoon/company level though.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #12 on: March 13, 2019, 07:22:49 PM

If he got overwhelmed by Conflict of Heroes, Fields of Fire will totally bake his noodle

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #13 on: March 13, 2019, 07:23:53 PM

If he got overwhelmed by Conflict of Heroes, Fields of Fire will totally bake his noodle

Yeah...I know. Probably not a great fit.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #14 on: March 13, 2019, 07:26:48 PM
Isn't the DVG Warfighter stuff squad level?