Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: New single player game wanted  (Read 40156 times)

judgedredd

Reply #75 on: March 26, 2019, 05:53:11 AM
To correct my earlier lapse of sanity, I've also ordered Ardennes '44. I couldn't find Normandy '44 (at Second Chance Games).

I was going to purchase the mounted maps for Holland '44 - but decided I'd rather have another game (in case, you know...they go out of print) than mounted maps  :bigthumb:

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #76 on: March 26, 2019, 07:24:05 AM
Nope, I can't find it at any of the UK retailers.

There is this one on BGG store, but he wants a daft price for it.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekmarket/product/1739356

My copy of Holland '44 should arrive tomorrow.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

judgedredd

Reply #77 on: March 26, 2019, 07:49:56 AM
Thanks for the heads up - but I'm good with Ardennes and Holland for the moment. I likely won't get into either of them for some time anyway!

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #78 on: March 26, 2019, 08:19:24 AM
Not sure if you're aware, but you can download the rules for all the '4X games from the GMT site and there are Vassal mods for them all.

judgedredd

Reply #79 on: March 26, 2019, 09:42:29 AM
Not sure if you're aware, but you can download the rules for all the '4X games from the GMT site and there are Vassal mods for them all.
Thanks.

I'm not a fan of vassal myself. In all honesty,  for me a board game holds something very specific that you can't get from a computer game...tangible feeling. The idea of playing a board game on a computer doesn't fill me with glee. I tried to love Conflict of Heroes by Matrix Games but it just didn't click.

For me, board gaming is about getting the game out. The setup. Physically moving units. Physically checking LoS. Physically rolling dice. It's about the often quaint map graphics. It's about picking up the manual to re-read a rule.

That's board gaming. Playing them on PC is as mental to me as clipping corners on chits is to BH.  :biggrin:

Having said that, I do have Heroes of Stalingrad which I thought captured the essence of boardgaming whilst not having all those tangible "feel" aspects.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #80 on: March 26, 2019, 10:07:37 AM
lol

What  did I say  :'(

LOL. Just messing with you on the being 'gamed out' part.  :)

I'm much the same, JD, though my problem is 'analysis paralysis' - when I actually do have time to play a game, I can't decide what I want to play. Inevitably it means needing to sit down and read a manual instead of actually putting something on the table and diving right into it.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #81 on: March 26, 2019, 10:22:08 AM
Thanks.

I'm not a fan of vassal myself. In all honesty,  for me a board game holds something very specific that you can't get from a computer game...tangible feeling. The idea of playing a board game on a computer doesn't fill me with glee. I tried to love Conflict of Heroes by Matrix Games but it just didn't click.

For me, board gaming is about getting the game out. The setup. Physically moving units. Physically checking LoS. Physically rolling dice. It's about the often quaint map graphics. It's about picking up the manual to re-read a rule.

That's board gaming. Playing them on PC is as mental to me as clipping corners on chits is to BH.  :biggrin:

Having said that, I do have Heroes of Stalingrad which I thought captured the essence of boardgaming whilst not having all those tangible "feel" aspects.

I'm not a great fan of Vassal, although I do use to play with a couple of buddies very occasionally. The point for me is that its useful to use when looking at a game that you are interested in buying, especially if you can preview the rules. In addition, it does let me look at games that I do not physically have room to set up and leave that way - Ardennes '44 being one such game.

Like you, I enjoy having the game components which is why I almost never play wargames on the PC.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #82 on: March 27, 2019, 08:36:04 AM
Holland '44 arrived today  ;D

judgedredd

Reply #83 on: March 27, 2019, 09:13:11 AM
 :bigthumb:

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #84 on: March 27, 2019, 02:32:04 PM
Pics or it didn't happen!  ;)

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #85 on: March 27, 2019, 03:04:37 PM
There now!

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #86 on: March 27, 2019, 03:09:18 PM
 :bigthumb:

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #87 on: March 27, 2019, 03:24:47 PM
 :bigthumb: :bigthumb:

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

judgedredd

Reply #88 on: March 27, 2019, 05:57:50 PM
There now!
Jesus bob - what did you take that picture with? A bin?  ;D

You'll likely get this out before me so I'd be very pleased to hear your impressions.

Also, I know you had Normandy '44...did you say you had Ardennes '44? If so, what did you think?

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #89 on: March 27, 2019, 06:01:49 PM
 :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb:

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)