Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Generic vs Franchise Based RPGs  (Read 6938 times)

Bison

• Corporal
on: March 09, 2019, 08:50:03 AM
This is a question I have been pondering over the past few months. Specifically, I have been reading a bunch of rules, reviews, and game settings. The reasons are simple enough. I have a super geek medical condition. First, I like to read rules, design notes, reviews about games.Secondly,, I am looking for a new game setting or two to run at the table.

Anyway I have been looking at some sci-fi games recently. Star Trek Adventures,  Westend Games Star Wars, Traveller (Mongoose 1and 2 edition), Star without Numbers, etc....

The crux of the issue is lore and geeks. I freely admit I like Star War and Star Trek but I don’t know the lore...at all. I’m lucky if I can remember the names of the major protagonists and antagonist, and the general plot line. The issue is GMing for people who KNOW the lore. They watch the movies, the tv shows, read the books, forums, write fan fiction...in the words of the big-eyed squid commander “it’s a trap.” I have a story about running FFG’s Star Wars at a FLGS to teach the rules and explain the dice. It turned into a three hour nerd fight over social dynamics of Jawa and Hut culture...

Anyway, It’s a factor I always consider now. The  pitfalls of a well known franchise on the game.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 08:55:04 AM by Bison »

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 09:27:13 AM
It's even worse than that with Star Trek and Star Wars. It seems every individual has there own interpretation of the franchise in question. I know I do with Star Trek. But when it comes to playing an RPG I think ground rules have to be set at the beginning if you are the GM. Your game, your rules, your universe.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 09:44:11 AM
Yeah, I tend to agree with Mike. The way people interpret things like Star Trek / Wars is a very subjective thing. There are few things worse in gaming than spending time 'discussing' the meaning of a rule where people are trying to rationalise it with their own individual interpretation.

As GM, I think you have to establish the 'lore' as you wish it to exist within the game framework.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 09:57:17 AM by bob48 »

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 09:55:52 AM
As GM, I think you have to establish the 'lore' as you wish it to exist within the game framework.

Exactly this. RPGs were made for house rules to exist, whether explicitly stated or not. As long as everyone is having a good time, who cares if it's canon or not?

Admittedly, if it IS canon, that might impact other's enjoyment of a game (e.g. "I can't play this, this isn't REAL Star Trek"). Well, okay, so what IS 'real Star Trek,' eh? ;)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 09:57:29 AM by bob48 »

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 10:40:35 AM
I agree with setting the ground rules. This is the value of session zero. Establish house rules, set context for the game world, roll up characters etc...

The problem with lore isn’t just the background information but how it affects the rules and supplements. The players are coming  with expectations of the world Star Trek/Wars and even Forgotten Realms cause lore issues which are problematic. D&D is easy. Home brewed campaign setting addresses 99% of the lore issues. Elminster simply doesn’t exist. You really cannot do this with The Federation because your characters are part of it. The rules and supplements reinforce this and frankly people who want to play want to play in that world. Sure maybe they want to be Klingons but in the end they want to set phasers to stun.

I think this is why a setting like Numenera is great. No one has any expectations of what the earth a billion years in the future is or isn’t.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 10:46:29 AM by Bison »

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 11:52:44 AM
We ran several Star Trek RPGs with the PCs as Klingons, Romulans or just mercenary/smuggler types. Was fun to change things up from more straight-laced Star Fleet characters.
Usually the hard part was keeping players in line as Star Fleet officers. Too many people didn't want to follow the Prime Directive or be bothered with setting phasers to stun. We had one campaign devolve into a mutiny with different factions vying for control of the ship (I may or may not have been involved in a scheme to sell Federation technology to less advanced race at war with a neighboring world).

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #6 on: March 09, 2019, 12:50:02 PM
That sounds like a fun campaign!

The one trend I am really not liking with RPGs is proprietary dice. FFG broke me. And Atar Trek while not nearly as bad has them too. It’s just another barrier. I need more coffee this all makes me grumpy!

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #7 on: March 09, 2019, 01:22:43 PM
I'm not a fan of proprietary dice either. It's becoming increasingly common across all gaming genres.

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #8 on: March 09, 2019, 03:35:20 PM
If you want some good sci-fi gaming without a ton of media license / lore / backstory, go dig up the old Star Frontiers game from TSR, which was a surprisingly playable RPG.

There was also the Amazing Engine setting for The Galactos Barrier that wasn't bad.

I wouldn't wish the old SPI "Universe" RPG on anyone.

Stars Without Number is pretty good, and you could do a lot worse.

The LNLP "Falling Stars" game is pretty good, too, and has some very interesting backstory in the front of the book laying out the setting.

But I hear you about the specificity of the settings.  BattleTech is just as bad as the others you mentioned.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #9 on: March 09, 2019, 09:51:27 PM
Hardcore Battle Tech fans...Dark Age traumatized many.

Metaldog

• Sergeant
  • Central Scrutinizer
Reply #10 on: March 11, 2019, 07:54:36 PM
I'll second Brant on Star Frontiers.  Yazirians forever!!  I saw that you mentioned Traveler upthread, too.  I have a limited experience with it from back in the day.  I don't remember any cumbersome lore cluttering up the place.  Plus, it was fun.

Lots of maps is a good thing - Panzerde

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #11 on: March 11, 2019, 08:12:39 PM
I recall back in the day, we played the ST RPG (the original with the blue covers). Our group was slightly retarded though. We went on an away mission and came under fire. The guy playing the XO started exclaiming, "one step away from the Captain's chair" and started firing at the Captain.  ::)

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #12 on: March 12, 2019, 08:40:32 AM
I'll second Brant on Star Frontiers.  Yazirians forever!!  I saw that you mentioned Traveler upthread, too.  I have a limited experience with it from back in the day.  I don't remember any cumbersome lore cluttering up the place.  Plus, it was fun.

I played Star Frontiers back in the day but to be honest don’t really remember it.  I remember thinking or being told D&D in space.

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #13 on: March 12, 2019, 08:49:24 AM
I remember thinking or being told D&D in space.

That's not far off from where it started, but it the resulting game was a bit different and quite entertaining.

Speaking of D&D in space, have you looked into Starfinder at all?

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #14 on: March 12, 2019, 08:49:55 AM
Here's a new setting that you might find entertaining - Superheroes of 1776

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~