Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Age of Wonders: Planetfall  (Read 4575 times)

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
on: November 10, 2020, 09:41:46 PM
The Star Kings DLC dropped today. 

Has anyone else played this one?  I picked up Planetfall in a sale earlier this year, but for the life of me, I cannot seem to get into it.  On paper, the game looks fantastic, yet I keep bouncing off of it for some reason. 

It's especially baffling given that I've enjoyed the previous games in the series, particularly Age of Wonders III.  And while I was admittedly disappointed Triumph's next entry wasn't another fantasy 4x, I was still curious (if not eager) to see how they would fare tackling a sci-fi setting.  Yet whenever I've fired up Planetfall, I'm quickly filled with a resounding feeling of "meh".  I wish I understood why.  :-\ 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 06:00:26 AM
Yeah, saw that, and the base game is on sale a lot cheaper than its usual price. I may pull the trigger on this one.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Steelie

• Corporal
Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 12:04:10 PM
Has anyone else played this one?  I picked up Planetfall in a sale earlier this year, but for the life of me, I cannot seem to get into it.  On paper, the game looks fantastic, yet I keep bouncing off of it for some reason. 

It's especially baffling given that I've enjoyed the previous games in the series, particularly Age of Wonders III.  And while I was admittedly disappointed Triumph's next entry wasn't another fantasy 4x, I was still curious (if not eager) to see how they would fare tackling a sci-fi setting.  Yet whenever I've fired up Planetfall, I'm quickly filled with a resounding feeling of "meh".  I wish I understood why.  :-\

Martok, you took the words right out of my mouth. I really enjoyed AoW III and jumped on Planetfall the first time it went on sale....but I just can't get into it!  It's just....well, I wish I knew! Somehow it just doesn't work for me. Meh.

Somewhere, somehow, I woke up in the wrong timeline. I'm pretty sure this isn't even my dimension.

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 02:42:52 PM
Same.  I think it's the lack of unit variety in the base game and an art style and colour palette that just make the game feel a little off somehow.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 02:58:45 PM
I think I may give this one a miss for now.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #5 on: November 16, 2020, 05:43:57 PM
Same.  I think it's the lack of unit variety in the base game and an art style and colour palette that just make the game feel a little off somehow.

Interesting points, although I think you're onto something there. 

My understanding is that the unit "variety" is largely supposed to come from the various mods you can research and then use to customize units to your liking, but I'm not sure how well it actually works in practice.  Undoubtedly some people appreciate this approach, but for others (including us) it falls flat. 

As to your second point, I rather like the game's visual style overall (I find that Triumph has never lacked in the art department when it comes to their games).  However, your comments about the palette choice making Planetfall feel...off resonates with me.  I wonder if the game looks too vibrant(?); given these planets are supposed to have all suffered some form of the apocalypse when the Star Union collapsed, maybe we instinctively expect them to look...worse than they do. 

I know another aspect for me is the combat:  For all that Planetfall's combat system is basically just a modified version of that found in AoW3 (which I generally enjoyed), I find it far more tedious, especially in larger battles.  I found myself auto-resolving battles more often than not, even between larger armies -- nay, *especially* between larger armies.  Micromanaging so many units and their respective abilities was proving to be more of a hassle than it was worth in my experience.  It's both sad and ironic, but true. 

I think I may give this one a miss for now.

I would hold off for now, yes.  Especially since I believe Star Kings was the last DLC planned, it should now be only a matter of time before a "complete" version of the game becomes available (which is what I would wait for to go on sale at this point). 

« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 05:46:51 PM by Martok »

Yskonyn

• Jr Lancer
  • Running an online thing is like herding cats
Reply #6 on: February 03, 2021, 01:28:43 PM
Funny, cause for me its the other way around; had a hard time getting into AoW3, but Planetfall ticks all the right boxes for me, especially since the inclusion of the strategic layer.

Martok mentioned going for a 4x PBeM game in the StarDrive 2 thread (which doesnt have multiplayer, but we were just thinking about options) and today it dawned on me that Planetfall might be an interesting pick for this... until I saw this thread. :)

Anyway, I find the factions to be distinct and all have interesting pro’s and con’s.
The tactical battles are like chess and reward patience and good thinking. (Which those in AoW 3 did as well however)
Art style is pretty awesome to me as well.

I only find the province system a little convoluted, but otherwise superb game.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #7 on: February 03, 2021, 01:43:11 PM
I do find Planetfall to be intriguing, and I'm sure I'll get it at some point. I have quite a few hours logged on AoW III, a game I have had a lot of enjoyment out of.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #8 on: February 04, 2021, 01:25:34 AM
Heh.  Yeah, sorry, Yskonyn.  A PBEM match sounds great, but in my case, I'm afraid it wouldn't be Planetfall.  I totally get why so many folks (including you) enjoy it, but for whatever reason(s), the game continues to be a miss for me.  :dunno: 

Anguille

• Jr Lancer
Reply #9 on: February 04, 2021, 02:37:08 AM
Great! One 4x i won't have to play  ;D

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #10 on: February 04, 2021, 11:17:01 AM
Yes.  Free yourself of earthly planetary concerns, brother...  :D