Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Buying a game just because of the aesthetics?  (Read 5338 times)

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
on: September 28, 2019, 05:35:06 PM
Ever buy a game chiefly based on the attractiveness of the design and components?

I bought the PC game Cuphead just because of the art.  That was a mistake because I am not a fan of platformers and Cuphead is insanely difficult.  I ended up just watching videos of someone else playing because I couldn't progress past a certain point (quite early on).

I was intrigued by Scythe due to the fantastic artwork.  I didn't buy a copy as several friends had already backed the Kickstarter and I'm glad I avoided it because I do not like the game much at all.  It's pretty polarizing within my local groups.  The wargamers generally dislike it and avoid playing it (my two wargaming buddies who backed it both sold their copies early on) whereas the social/Euro crowd generally love it and want to play constantly. 

When I first saw photos of War Room, I loved the look and nearly backed it.  After reading the rules and watching a few demo videos, I decided against it as it seemed quite light (comparable with Axis & Allies- same designer) but also fiddly as you have to do book-keeping to track your resource income and expenditures as well as having to write out all your move orders each turn.

But still....if you get the embiggened version, it comes with sticks to move units!  I need that!!!!   Anyway, there's a guy in Vancouver who's got a side business that caters to idiots like me with FOMO issues.  He backs games on KS and then sells them on to people who missed out.  So, I bought it....and now I need to order the embiggened version to get my movement sticks.

Cyrano

• Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 06:23:54 PM
Borg's re-boot of "Battle of Britain" -- lots of little planes buzzing over a map that looks like something out of the war room.

"Napoleon: 1806", but I'd have probably bought that if the map were sketched on the back of a greasy brown lunch bag.

I am now at the point with Mr. Harris' designs that I think I'd rather repeatedly punch myself in the...well, yeah...

He lost the plot a long time ago.

Sergeant-at-Arms - Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Negotiator of the fragile peace between Ruritania and Strakenz

Weeple Herder to the Emperor

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 11:41:39 PM
What'd Harris do other than Axis & Allies and a few of those other big box MB games from the early 90s?

Napoleon: 1806?  I thought you bought everything Napoleonic?

Just like I buy everything Bomber Command.

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #3 on: September 29, 2019, 09:15:09 AM
Borg's re-boot of "Battle of Britain" -- lots of little planes buzzing over a map that looks like something out of the war room.

Except for the initial run of the planes being a disaster :P

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

Cyrano

• Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Reply #4 on: September 29, 2019, 11:34:38 AM

Mine were not in bad shape, though I certainly heard the noise from others.

Except for the initial run of the planes being a disaster :P

Sergeant-at-Arms - Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Negotiator of the fragile peace between Ruritania and Strakenz

Weeple Herder to the Emperor

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #5 on: September 29, 2019, 01:53:50 PM
i admit I bought the Big Trouble in Little China boardgame with little investigation; the aesthetics looked awesome and I didn't check game play out. But it's my understanding that it's a solid play. I guess I'll figure that out for myself sooner or later!  :D

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)