Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Ships!  (Read 374150 times)

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #1530 on: April 11, 2023, 07:05:19 AM
I'll watch the vid later on, but just wanted to mention that the HMS Victorious was actually loaned to the US Navy for a while and refitted to conduct US style naval aviation operations under the name USS Robin. She kept most of her RN crew but had her original (US made Lend-Lease) aircraft repainted in US markings. She was meant to strengthen the US Navy's carrier fleet during a period between when the US lost one carrier as well as another out of action, and when the new Essex-class carrier would enter service.

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #1531 on: April 11, 2023, 11:21:34 AM
Cool! Didn't know that.  :bigthumb:

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #1532 on: April 11, 2023, 03:54:46 PM
https://www.armouredcarriers.com/uss-robin-hms-victorious

Best account I've seen on Victorious in the South Pacific.

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #1533 on: June 15, 2023, 11:38:29 AM

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #1534 on: July 06, 2023, 01:43:01 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VnS_eaSldvs&feature=share

Nice presentation On damage repair.  Some rather appalling photos of damages, especially by torpedo.

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #1535 on: July 28, 2023, 10:52:09 AM

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #1536 on: July 28, 2023, 07:54:46 PM
http://www.zenoswarbirdvideos.com/SkyFleet.html

1934 pastiche I f a carrier at war.  Some vintage planes.

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #1537 on: July 28, 2023, 10:43:15 PM
http://www.zenoswarbirdvideos.com/SkyFleet.html

1934 pastiche I f a carrier at war.  Some vintage planes.

Lots and lots of good stuff Bes!

If I'm not  mistaken, around 7:49 they show the famous exercise where Billy Mitchell's Martin MB-2s dropped practice munitions on the WW1 war prize battleship SMS Ostfriesland, which they would later sink, creating a notable controversy and leading to Mitchell's court marshal for calling out the War Dept for its short sightedness and deliberate obstruction to a proper US Air Force.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #1538 on: August 14, 2023, 09:09:30 AM
https://www.pearlharboraviationmuseum.org/blog/pearl-harbor-thunderfish-in-the-sky/?

Japanese torpedo development for the shallow water drop at Pearl Harbor.
Also contrasts with the different British solution used at Taranto.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #1539 on: August 16, 2023, 03:34:28 PM
HMS Victory.  Such ships were built entire of oak and a three decker consumed of 900 acres of 3,500 full grown trees.  They were driven by 50,000 square feet of canvas, eleven square sails on three masts, plus 3 jibs, 4 staysails, 10 stunsails, and a spinnaker, with two sets of each onboard, and were fitted with 80 tons of spars,  900 blocks, and 34 miles of rope - some of it six inches thick.
     The Birth of the Modern.  Paul Johnson.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #1540 on: August 16, 2023, 03:40:07 PM
HMS Victory.  Such ships were built entire of oak and a three decker consumed of 900 acres of 3,500 full grown trees.  They were driven by 50,000 square feet of canvas, eleven square sails on three masts, plus 3 jibs, 4 staysails, 10 stunsails, and a spinnaker, with two sets of each onboard, and were fitted with 80 tons of spars,  900 blocks, and 34 miles of rope - some of it six inches thick.
     The Birth of the Modern.  Paul Johnson.

I’ve always found it fascinating how many trees were needed to build these ships. And the logistical planning that had to go in to planting such forests for ship building. Always thought that the game Civilization should have had wood as a resource needed to build ships. Ship building is the main reason the Cedars of Lebanon went extinct.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #1541 on: August 16, 2023, 05:50:36 PM
Never knew how much credence to give this.
A port captain in Elefsis Greece was familiar with the ancient myths.  In them, much of Greece was forested.  He believed this changed after Lepanto.  The Turks had to build a fleet in a hurry over the winter and basically denuded the Greek lands by cutting down all the timber.  That's why the soil is so poor.
Not sure of t.his since at that time, the 1970s, all things bad were because of the Turks.

Steelie

• Corporal
Reply #1542 on: August 17, 2023, 10:36:39 AM
I’ve always found it fascinating how many trees were needed to build these ships. And the logistical planning that had to go in to planting such forests for ship building. Always thought that the game Civilization should have had wood as a resource needed to build ships. Ship building is the main reason the Cedars of Lebanon went extinct.

In retrospect, it's somewhat amazing wood is not a needed resource in Civ. You're right. For centuries it was vital to not only shipbuilding but many other industries as well. Lightbulb going off moment there!

Somewhere, somehow, I woke up in the wrong timeline. I'm pretty sure this isn't even my dimension.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #1543 on: September 04, 2023, 05:07:01 PM
This is interesting.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #1544 on: September 05, 2023, 06:17:54 AM
^ Ed Nash always has great vids, whether they be about obscure aircraft (or flattops) or about potential modern weapons in Ukraine. He's definitely worth a youtube channel sub.

Rex's Hanger is another good channel for interesting aircraft, though his videos tens to run a bit longer.