Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Age of Sail project (for Black Seas and others)  (Read 3511 times)

LetsPlayHistory

• Trooper
  • Let's get serious about games!
    • Let's Play History
on: June 03, 2023, 02:13:36 PM
Those on Twitter and Discord already know, but I figured I create a thread here as well. I have recently purchased Warlord Games' Master & Commander starterset for Black Seas, including three 5th rate frigates and six brigs.

Here are all primed and painted, before rigging.

Applied the standing rigging only. As I didn't like the paper sails, I replaced them with canvas, which turned out to be a bit stiff. I might bend it a little with threads, eventually. I have also chosen to not use the ratlines that come with the ships. I might get some 3D printed or even get me some of these frames to make them with thread myself at some point.

Here they are seeing first combat on the double-sided paper sea map that comes with the pack.

Here a larger scenario on the carribean/mediterranean side of the sheet. I have recorded it and might edit it down into a battle report.

However, I don't like the paper map too much. It is alright for traveling, but will surely start breaking at the folds pretty quickly. Thus, I decided to make a custom game mat. Got me some painter's fleece with thin plastic backing, painted it in shades of blue and applied about five tubes of casual transparent silicon caulking. And another one for some wave structure on top. It rolls up pretty well. The silicone might crack at some point, of course.

I also built some islands and high shore with styrofoam, sand and flocking.

Together with a signal tower and a Martello tower from Hagen Miniatures it all looks pretty neat now, I think. Might need a backdrop to hide my living room away.

I do have some schooner and cutter models I need to finish and will probabaly get a few 3rd rate ships of the line, but not much more. I like small engagements. Might also try Post Captain, which seems perfect for ship-on-ship combat.

Meet me on LinkedIn, BlueSky, BoardGameGeek, YouTube and Twitch!

Et vive citoyen général Bonaparte!

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #1 on: June 03, 2023, 05:21:57 PM
gorgeous!

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

LetsPlayHistory

• Trooper
    • Let's Play History
Reply #2 on: July 14, 2023, 04:05:17 PM
I did some flashing cannon lights for my ships. Simple flickering LEDs on a 3V battery. Can't embed the video here, it seems. It's over on Twitter.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #3 on: July 14, 2023, 04:13:12 PM
that's pretty cool!

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

RogerB

• Fresh Recruit
Reply #4 on: October 12, 2023, 01:33:32 PM
Those are fantastic! I purchased that set last year and it has been in the closet ever since, sadly.

LetsPlayHistory

• Trooper
    • Let's Play History
Reply #5 on: October 12, 2023, 01:46:21 PM
Thank you!

I do in fact have a bunch of additional 3rd rates and schooners on the table next to me, right now, which wait to get painted.

Doctor Quest

• Corporal
  • I'm not a real doctor.
Reply #6 on: October 12, 2023, 05:19:07 PM
that's pretty cool!

Ingenious! Simple, yet effective. Well done.

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Something so addictive about the whole kill and loot dynamic, though." - Gusington