Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Blind Swords  (Read 6632 times)

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #15 on: September 21, 2023, 05:17:49 PM
Are these systems really that different though? I know they can be either chit based or card based but I thought they played very similar. I haven't tried A Most Fearful Sacrifice yet I have no idea...yet.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #16 on: September 21, 2023, 05:36:38 PM
Yes, the base rules are very close. There is some adjustment to accommodate slightly different ground/unit scales, but the general principle is the same.

Maybe there is a slight difference in complexity from game-to-game, again depending on scale. From what I can see, the 'Shattered Union' version is a bit simpler than the Revolution Games series, while 'A Most fearful Sacrifice' look marginally more complex.

I've been playing all the 'Kernstown' scenario's quite extensively and have pretty much now had my few queries on the rules answered., so I now feel very comfortable with the series.

I shall be whispering in ears that the 'South Mountain' game would be a very welcome Birthday/ Christmas pressie..............

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #17 on: September 21, 2023, 05:39:35 PM
It is a great system. Now I have to investigate Kernstown. And A Greater Victory. And... dang, Bob, see what you have done?!?  :P

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #18 on: September 21, 2023, 05:46:06 PM
lol - And, how can you not have a Bull Run game, so best add 'The Day Was Ours' to the list.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #19 on: September 21, 2023, 08:50:23 PM
 :bigthumb:

-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #20 on: October 12, 2023, 04:37:27 PM
I've rarely been as impressed with a series of games as much as I am by these. Very much enjoying the system, and, if I'm ever in a position to do so, I would certainly buy more of them.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #21 on: October 12, 2023, 07:08:29 PM
What do you like about the series?

-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #22 on: October 13, 2023, 06:34:33 AM
The system in general I think really captures the period - lots of 'flavour'. Plus, I have grown to very much appreciate the late Rick Barber's artwork, which again, adds much to the period 'feel'.

Also, I've always thought that its interesting to play ACW where the units represent regiments (organised and activated as brigades) and batteries.

The whole thing really, not forgetting aspects such as the command system, the random events, the way cavalry is depicted and the wonderful combat system. I really have nothing negative to say about it, other than they are, for me, anyway, a bit expensive. I was looking at the South Mountain game, but with shipping, even from a 'local' retailer, it would be almost £100 ($122) which is crazy for a game that, in the US, would cost $85( +shipping extra).

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #23 on: October 13, 2023, 08:21:37 AM
I think you've captured the way I feel about it as well. I can't wait to crack open A Most Fearful Sacrifice!

-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #24 on: October 13, 2023, 11:32:10 AM
I so wanted A Most Fearful Sacrifice...alas...table is too small (for main campaign)

neach-gleidhidh na h-Alba