Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Marching Eagles  (Read 20793 times)

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
on: August 08, 2019, 09:44:20 PM
HPS has a new Napoleonic offering, by Paul Bruffell. Paul is known for the Ancient Wars series he did for HPS.

https://www.hpssims.com/Pages/Products/MarchingEagles/Waterloo/ME_Waterloo.asp

Given the topic I'll let Cryano do the formal review; he'd never forgive me for not allowing him to be the one to review a game on the Waterloo campaign. Here's what I posted over at The Blitz in response to someone asking for some feedback on the game:

It's a very good game, and tough to beat for $25.

It isn't at all the same as the JTS games. This is much more grand tactical. There's a lot more emphasis on putting your troops into the correct formation and positioning the right mix of units for combined arms attacks than there is the very tactical movement and attacks of the Tiller games.

The limited command points available each turn make doing the above difficult. You'll never have enough command to do everything you want. Decide where to attack and with what, concentrate artillery to support the attack, and accept that you're going to have some units that don't do anything that turn. This is further complicated by having only a limited number of leaders, leading to units being out-of-command and unable to move.

If you can use cavalry to force an enemy unit into square and then have some artillery and infantry in place to tear them up, you're doing great! Getting all of that coordinated is the challenge though - just like it really was in 1815.

There's a nice mix of scenarios with the expected variants (What if Ney had I Corps at Quatre Bras? for example). The game plays quickly, so you can knock out a medium sized battle in an hour or less. Ligny or Waterloo are going to take a bit longer, but not hours and hours.

There's a good bit of period chrome hidden throughout the game that isn't obvious at first. The tactical cards contribute to this. You'll see things like charging cavalry have a morale failure and stop their charge before contacting a prepared infantry regiment. Having a lot of concentrated artillery firing will cause the area they're in to become filled with smoke, causing adverse combat effects.

Most combat doesn't cause strength point losses, but does cause increasingly levels of disorganization. The more disorganized the unit, the more likely it is to break. Units that break in the face of the enemy usually lose a battalion/strength point. Cavalry will pursue retreating/routing enemies. Sometimes, this lands the cavalry in hot water.

The game is simple to play, but captures the mechanics of the period very well. It is not always easy to win versus the AI. I've yet to try PBEM, but plan to soon.

Again, for $25, this is tough to beat. I would very much like to see other campaigns handled with this engine. Overall I would say that this game fits between the JTS games and Campaigns on the Danube. It fills the space for a brigade level, grand tactical game that I know I've wanted for awhile. Paul has done a great job here, and I think anyone that enjoys playing Napoleonics will likely enjoy Marching Eagles.

I actually don't really like games.

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 08:25:05 AM
For $25 this is very tempting.

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 08:32:52 AM
Yeah, that looks too good to pass up at $25.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

laborde

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 12:10:19 PM
Gents, @panzerde, @cyrano... Anyone want to give pbem a try? Have the game now, it may be better for me learning while pbeming i guess ^^ :bigthumb:

Have patch v1.05R currently on my comp - https://www.hpssims.com/Pages/updates/up_MarchingEagles/up_ME.asp

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #4 on: December 07, 2019, 05:17:52 PM
Sure thing, shoot me a turn.

laborde

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 08:52:29 AM
Sure thing, shoot me a turn.
Hi panzerde. Shame on me lost your email address!?  :-\
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 12:56:35 PM by Lancier »

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #6 on: December 08, 2019, 01:10:13 PM
Sent it to you.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #7 on: January 11, 2020, 07:21:42 PM
Finally tried this game. Is there no way to set screen resolution/fullscreen mode?

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #8 on: January 13, 2020, 04:25:48 PM

I'll have to look when I get home for specifics, but yes, I believe there is.

Paul is also close to putting out a version with some nicely revised graphics.

Finally tried this game. Is there no way to set screen resolution/fullscreen mode?

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #9 on: January 29, 2020, 10:54:44 PM
There is about to be an update released for this game that significantly cleans up the graphics. This includes all new maps that have the look of period military maps, and completely redone counters. Leader counters now display a portrait of the applicable leader. Other units have been redone and the counter presentation standardized.

Counters have been reworked to look more like blocks from a block wargame.

Overall it's quite an improvement. Paul has really done a ton of work on this.

laborde

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #10 on: March 15, 2020, 04:11:18 AM
HPS /Marching Eagles: Waterloo v2.01 has been released!!!
https://www.hpssims.com/Pages/updates/up_MarchingEagles/up_ME.asp

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #11 on: March 15, 2020, 12:39:46 PM
HPS /Marching Eagles: Waterloo v2.01 has been released!!!
https://www.hpssims.com/Pages/updates/up_MarchingEagles/up_ME.asp

This is really a significant upgrade. HPS updated the screenshots so you can get an idea of how much the graphics have changed.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #12 on: March 16, 2020, 08:14:43 AM
Man, that does look a whole lot better.  :bigthumb:

Sigh, can't believe I'm asking this but:
How's it play, asking from a non-musket tread head point of view?
Easy to learn about the period combat from this or do I need to do a pile of reading first?

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #13 on: March 16, 2020, 08:48:39 AM

Easy to learn about the period combat from this or do I need to do a pile of reading first?

It's ridiculously easy to play. It's really an excellent introduction to the period. With the larger formations and area movement, it's Grand Tactical. You don't get bogged down in tactical minutiae.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #14 on: March 16, 2020, 08:49:37 AM

It's ridiculously easy to play. It's really an excellent introduction to the period. With the larger formations and area movement, it's Grand Tactical. You don't get bogged down in tactical minutiae.

So... I should buy it then.  ;)

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners