Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: A miniature journey through Middle Earth  (Read 30247 times)

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #120 on: September 12, 2021, 01:37:18 AM
Got the airbrush setup and going for about three to four hours this evening. I primed a couple of Reaper minis to work out the rust and then just dove into the Middle Earth minis. I primed all of the orcs, Rohan foot, six horses, and the troll. So over fifty models are primed black and ready to paint.

Tomorrow I have to put the horse riders and witch king on some sticks with putty and glue the Fell Beast flight stick in place on the body and stand. I will prime them all black as well. Then I am going to prime the Army of the Dead, the six remaining horses, and the mounted Theoden figure grey. If I can knock this out tomorrow, I will be very happy. I can then begin the much slower process of painting. I am half tempted to work some of the base colors with the airbrush.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #121 on: September 12, 2021, 04:08:04 AM
Do you have a colour scheme and recipes in mind?

I’ve painted some army of the dead and using contrast and dry brushing they’re very quick and easy - never painted Rohan

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #122 on: September 12, 2021, 08:55:56 AM
I like this look. Green cloaks as the unifying color for the Rohan forces. Some color variation(dark red, blue, maybe yellow) for shields, clothing layers, and horse blankets for variation.

The orcs just grimy, dirty metal and leather. Skin tones in a variation between grey and green maybe.

The Army of the Dead. Yeah. I think just a grey primer and work a very light blue or green base. I thought about contrast paints or the technical they released to paint nighthaunts (I think is the faction name). However, I do have some nice inks from Vallejo. So maybe just a very water downed ink wash.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 09:11:25 AM by Bison »

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #123 on: September 12, 2021, 09:19:55 AM
The question I ask myself on the AotD is do I want a total ghost look or pick out some light coloring on metal or hair.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #124 on: September 12, 2021, 09:35:01 AM
And yet another post because I am scatter minded this morning pre-four cups of coffee. But PlanetMithril does a lot of LotR painting videos which I are a nice base line to help think about color schemes.

For example:

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #125 on: September 12, 2021, 09:46:57 AM
Army of the dead I looked at film shots - I think it’s mainly ghostly except the king

That eowyn figure is great

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #126 on: September 12, 2021, 01:20:07 PM
That eowyn figure is great

His Gandalf the White is just amazing. White and black are the two hardest colors to do for shades/highlights but when everything is one of those colors…aneurism inducing…

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #127 on: September 12, 2021, 01:45:45 PM
Total agree about B+W.

I had a chapter of Space Marines of my own devising called the Vindicators who I wanted to have black armour. I eventually painted them very dark blue with black shading, but highlighting them was something I did not ever get right.

Usually, for white figures, I tended to shade with very pale blue which gave them a cold look. Also tried it with pale grey which just made them look grubby and, surprisingly, very pale green, which didn't look too bad. I gather one technique is not to use white as the main base colour, but maybe a very light colour which can be shaded dawn and highlighted with white.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #128 on: September 12, 2021, 02:25:30 PM
I like this look. Green cloaks as the unifying color for the Rohan forces. Some color variation(dark red, blue, maybe yellow) for shields, clothing layers, and horse blankets for variation.

I like that look for Rohan!  Where is the picture from?

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #129 on: September 12, 2021, 02:39:59 PM

I found it on this website when I was searching for images of the movies, miniatures, or paintings for various LotR characters/factions.

https://www.brego.net/lord-of-the-rings/horses/horses-of-rohan/

I know nothing of the site or those who run it. I just really liked the look of the art and how it captures a Rohan cavalry charge.

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #130 on: September 12, 2021, 02:52:49 PM

I found it on this website when I was searching for images of the movies, miniatures, or paintings for various LotR characters/factions.

https://www.brego.net/lord-of-the-rings/horses/horses-of-rohan/

I know nothing of the site or those who run it. I just really liked the look of the art and how it captures a Rohan cavalry charge.

Agreed

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #131 on: September 12, 2021, 05:11:38 PM
I started a hobby AAR in the AAR section. Mostly so I can keep this thread on topic as much as that happens in these parts.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #132 on: September 12, 2021, 11:49:31 PM
I need to get the LotR Army book.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #133 on: September 13, 2021, 07:30:43 AM
For white I use the primer corax white as a base coat - it’s very clean and not until you put pure white on it do you release it’s very light grey

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #134 on: September 13, 2021, 05:02:14 PM
I thought I had white primer but I only had grey and black. However, the grey is quite light so it isn't horrible to base coat with white.