Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Highfleet - mega praise on YT  (Read 4715 times)

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
on: August 06, 2021, 01:14:05 PM
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1434950/HighFleet/

YT keeps feeding me ‘OMGzzzzzz most immersive, amazing game evvvahhhh’ videos - I don’t know if they’re genuine or on some kind of incentive

One reviewer I trust says it’s absolutely astounding - just wondered if anyone here had any experience with it

Consider this another ‘my distant world 2 money is desperate to be spent’

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #1 on: August 06, 2021, 01:25:08 PM
It is on the tippity top of my steampunk to-buy list.

Always do what you feel is best.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #2 on: August 06, 2021, 01:46:53 PM
Excellent - I’ve got to say it looks good - this and the ascent are calling for my money but I don’t even know if I like either genre 😞

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #3 on: August 06, 2021, 01:53:53 PM
If they add the ability to rebind key commands, I'm in. 

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #4 on: August 06, 2021, 02:58:43 PM
^I think I read somewhere in the depths of Steam that Highfleet will be introducing key command rebinding with a soon-to-come patch.

And UCG I am about 6 hours into The Ascent and it is both real and spectacular. Quite fun.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #5 on: August 06, 2021, 04:12:02 PM
Ooh!

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #6 on: August 06, 2021, 06:51:03 PM
I've been seeing a fair bit of talk about Highfleet the last couple weeks now.  Not sure if it's my cup of tea, but I'm keeping an eye on it. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #7 on: August 06, 2021, 07:28:19 PM
You all love The Ascent, trust me.

Huw the Poo

• Jr Lancer
  • Hullo!
Reply #8 on: December 23, 2021, 07:22:34 PM
So did any of y'all get this?

I bought it day one, partially because OMG Microsoft again! But mostly of course because of the kind of game it was. I really, really tried to love it. I played the strategy layer diligently, tried to scout convoys, intercepted messages, planned routes carefully, split my fleet, all that fun stuff.

...and it was all completely ruined by the actual combat. I can handle difficult, I don't mind a challenge, but the combat is so unforgivably brutal I just couldn't look past it. My main complaint is not only are the enemy AI basically aimbots, but also when you lose/withdraw a ship you have literally no idea where your next ship will spawn - but they do, and you take a pummelling the second you spawn. If you're in a light ship that's usually half your armour gone immediately. It was so frustrating that I eventually rage-uninstalled. With the possible exception of Shadow Empire I've never tried so hard to love a game in my life, but it just wasn't to be.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #9 on: December 23, 2021, 08:39:23 PM
I watched every let’s play I could - like you OMG Microsoft and the praise it received it just never grabbed me

Steelie

• Corporal
Reply #10 on: December 24, 2021, 12:18:53 AM
I put it on my wishlist some time ago, never could pull the trigger when it was on sale, and finally removed it during this Steam Winter Sale. Lots to like about it but I don't think the gameplay is for me.

Somewhere, somehow, I woke up in the wrong timeline. I'm pretty sure this isn't even my dimension.

Huw the Poo

• Jr Lancer
  • Hullo!
Reply #11 on: December 24, 2021, 02:20:49 AM
I watched every let’s play I could - like you OMG Microsoft and the praise it received it just never grabbed me

We both made the same mistake. We meant Microprose, of course.  ;D

You'd have loved the strategy layer I think, Geek. It's a bit like controlling a fleet of submarines on the run.