Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: France '40 is here!!!!!!!!!  (Read 3789 times)

judgedredd

on: September 17, 2020, 03:20:14 AM

It was very, very refreshing to skip through the rules and see how similar they are to Holland '44

Obviously I knew they would be as they use the same(ish) system - but it was still refreshing. That's why I like buying games with the same/similar systems...easy to move onto the next one. I could easily see myself going from Holland '44 to Ardennes '44 to France '40 and (when it gets here) Normandy '44

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 06:11:01 AM
 :bigthumb:

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 06:17:14 AM
Looking forward to seeing some pictures of your game!

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 06:25:25 AM
Yeah, me too.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #4 on: September 17, 2020, 07:27:41 AM
Patience, he's off ordering the next game.  :whistle:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

judgedredd

Reply #5 on: September 17, 2020, 08:23:56 AM
It's alright for you lot - you discovered your love of board games probably in the 70s and 80s - I'm just starting out  ;D

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #6 on: September 17, 2020, 08:35:45 AM
1966 in my case :-)

judgedredd

Reply #7 on: September 17, 2020, 08:37:17 AM
1966 in my case :-)
You bloody English....any chance you get, you throw that year in!!  ;D

Why did you get into them in 66 Bob? Was it a case of "Well...that's the World Cup done....what am I going to do now?"  :ROFL:

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #8 on: September 17, 2020, 08:44:23 AM
Har har!

I've never been a footy fan, although even I got a bit carried along with the World Cup that year.

It was the year that a friend of my boss, the Chief Metallurgist in lab at the Steel Works where i worked, came back from the USA with a copy of Avalon Hill's 'Afrika Korps', a type of 'map and counter game' that was virtually unknown over here at that time.

He found that it was not the sort of game that he thought it was, but my boss knew I was interested in WW2 and the game soon came into my hot sticky hands, and I played it endlessly. It was a few more years before other such games made their way to the UK.

I still have all the components and the map, although the box gave up the ghost a few years ago during a house move.

tuna

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
Reply #9 on: September 17, 2020, 07:11:52 PM
Har har!

I've never been a footy fan, although even I got a bit carried along with the World Cup that year.

It was the year that a friend of my boss, the Chief Metallurgist in lab at the Steel Works where i worked, came back from the USA with a copy of Avalon Hill's 'Afrika Korps', a type of 'map and counter game' that was virtually unknown over here at that time.

He found that it was not the sort of game that he thought it was, but my boss knew I was interested in WW2 and the game soon came into my hot sticky hands, and I played it endlessly. It was a few more years before other such games made their way to the UK.

I still have all the components and the map, although the box gave up the ghost a few years ago during a house move.

You had a boss in 66?  Next thing you're going to tell us, you saw Hendrix in concert!

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #10 on: September 17, 2020, 10:46:32 PM
I vaguely recall Bob saying something about meeting Geezer Butler, though that could just be another one of my absinth fever hallucinations...

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #11 on: September 18, 2020, 06:05:29 AM
Har har!

You had a boss in 66?  Next thing you're going to tell us, you saw Hendrix in concert!

I wish - but I have seen Led Zep and (obviously) Sabbath in concert.

chemkid

Reply #12 on: September 18, 2020, 06:33:12 AM
It's alright for you lot - you discovered your love of board games probably in the 70s and 80s - I'm just starting out  ;D
ha! keep calm, mate. it's a slippery slope...  :D
take your time with 'France '40' - it's such a great system! don't spoil the fun with the next new and shiny, right?!  ::)

(hear, hear! what am i babbling about... 'the guy with no bloody money left.')  8)
cheers!
... enjoy the weekend!

judgedredd

Reply #13 on: September 18, 2020, 07:18:46 AM
ha! keep calm, mate. it's a slippery slope...  :D
take your time with 'France '40' - it's such a great system! don't spoil the fun with the next new and shiny, right?!  ::)

(hear, hear! what am i babbling about... 'the guy with no bloody money left.')  8)
cheers!
... enjoy the weekend!
Either one of France 40 or Ardennes 44 are next (unless Normandy 40 shows up with it's mounted board!) - just as soon as I finish my Holland 44 campaign. Turn 3 and Arnhem bridge is about to fall.