Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: JTS Panzer Campaigns -- Japan '45 is RELEASED  (Read 7258 times)

Cyrano

• Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
on: May 03, 2019, 08:04:55 PM
http://www.johntillersoftware.com/PanzerCampaigns/Japan45.html

I was on the playtest team for this one and can tell you that on more than one occasion I was very, very grateful my father, who was assigned to a Mercy ship, never had to participate in this.

Very instructive and, as with all WDS, state-of-the-art research and scenarios.

Sergeant-at-Arms - Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Negotiator of the fragile peace between Ruritania and Strakenz

Weeple Herder to the Emperor

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #1 on: May 03, 2019, 08:07:01 PM
Wow, that looks tasty.  :hug:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

BletchleyGeek

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 05:34:36 AM
Anybody has further thoughts to share about this one? I gave it a pass because I had the intuition that the IJA would feel quite generic in PzC. Is this a work of love like Mike Prucha's revision/thorough shakedown of France 40?

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 08:02:07 PM
Anybody has further thoughts to share about this one? I gave it a pass because I had the intuition that the IJA would feel quite generic in PzC. Is this a work of love like Mike Prucha's revision/thorough shakedown of France 40?

I've heard good things about it, but haven't yet played it. If Jim liked it I would assume it's good. I do think it might be tough to capture some of the uniqueness of the IJA at this scale, but WDS has done some nice work in the past...

I actually don't really like games.

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

BletchleyGeek

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 08:32:05 PM
I've heard good things about it, but haven't yet played it. If Jim liked it I would assume it's good. I do think it might be tough to capture some of the uniqueness of the IJA at this scale, but WDS has done some nice work in the past...

Cheers Doug, I also trust Jim's taste quite a bit so I was intrigued.

Cyrano

• Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 09:16:58 PM
You're kind to say so.

Here's the thing, I am NOT a WWII PTO guy.  I got involved because the same fellow was producing this one that has produced some Naps games for JTS.

I know the stuff, sure, but am far, far from an expert.  With that in mind:

1.  I thought the scenarios were an intriguing look into what might have been, especially since these plans are fairly well known as are the OOBs for both sides.

2.  I've played a good amount of JTS Normandy and getting off these beaches and getting off those beaches was dramatically different -- both qualitatively in terms of the men guarding them and in terms of the terrain you must deal with, particularly the latter.  No doubt in my mind that Japan was the harder slog.

3.  I think the development teams have really begun to experiment with scenarios as well -- delayed releases, extra forces, alternative scenarios and the like.  I found some of those the most interesting.

So, while I'm certainly not qualified to speak as to its fidelity vis-a-vis the PTO, this is a well done game and I still like it...even after having played it a LOT.

The awesome thing is, because of WDS, you're not likely to have a shortage of theaters to chose from.

Sergeant-at-Arms - Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Negotiator of the fragile peace between Ruritania and Strakenz

Weeple Herder to the Emperor

BletchleyGeek

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #6 on: July 15, 2019, 11:23:37 PM
Thanks for that Jim, will think about it. Points 2 and 3 are promising.

I must say that if this had been PzC Singapore 42 or Burma 42 it would have been an insta-purchase for me.

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #7 on: July 16, 2019, 05:43:49 PM
Thanks for that Jim, will think about it. Points 2 and 3 are promising.

I must say that if this had been PzC Singapore 42 or Burma 42 it would have been an insta-purchase for me.

Me too. I'd be interested in the early war French Indo-China campaigns, too.

I actually don't really like games.

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres