Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Whats on Your Table?  (Read 173250 times)

TTC

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
Reply #915 on: September 25, 2022, 04:03:30 PM
I also have the map for MMP's Kingdom of Heaven that I am probably going to set up today.

For the other half of my game table, I am debating Navajo Wars or giving the new solo CDG system a try with C&C Ancients.

I am also itching to get Vietnam: 1965-1975 and GBOH: Julius Caesar to the table.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 04:31:16 PM by TTC »

judgedredd

Reply #916 on: September 25, 2022, 04:11:25 PM
I really liked Enemy Action Ardennes. The only thing stopping me getting Kharkov is cost

TTC

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
Reply #917 on: September 25, 2022, 04:30:36 PM
I really liked Enemy Action Ardennes. The only thing stopping me getting Kharkov is cost

It's a nice take on the EA system. The battle is a little more fluid and open than the Ardennes, and there is an earlier and stronger counteroffensive by the Germans. I really like the entire system, although I'll admit at times I spend too much energy on the mechanics and not enough on my own tactics.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #918 on: September 25, 2022, 06:24:25 PM
We played an epic 4 player game of Fistful of Lead's fantasy version MIght & Melee series. I love the Fistful of Lead ruleset. My plans are for a post-apocalyptic campaign game to bring my childhood dream of playing in a Thundar the Barbarian game to life. Heavy use of felt for the river, indicating the forest and rough terrain areas, the bridges. The table mat is a Cigar Box terrain mat I picked up at the Southern Front miniature convention last weekend. I made my own specially marked card deck with a permanent marker. Placed some books under the game mat for hills. I need to make some foam hills to smooth out the terrain for gameplay. All in all, I think it looks good and worked for us to have a lot of fun.

Oldest Daughter: Orcs. The bloodthirsty trait ended up being her bane as her orcs were in constant hand-to-hand combat

Boy 1: Human adventures. He just spent the game hunting his sister's orcs.

Boy 2: Ogre and kobalds. The ogre tied up my dwarves all game until I finally slew him.

Me: Dwarves and a halfling. The slow movement trait was crippling as I tried so very hard to bypass the ogre, grab the treasure and leave the board. Although, I won by default as the humans and orcs slaughtered each other and the kobolds wanted in on the action.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #919 on: September 25, 2022, 07:13:22 PM
Looks great

I know a lot of people take scenery to professional standards but a good game with good people trumps  the books and boxes every time

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #920 on: September 25, 2022, 08:14:44 PM
Looks great

I know a lot of people take scenery to professional standards but a good game with good people trumps  the books and boxes every time

Yes, sir. I love good terrain and making it but it should not stand in the way of playing. I have a number of plans for projects big and small. But game systems like fistful of lead are great to get more time at the table and not be overwhelmed by the pile of unfinished projects.

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #921 on: September 25, 2022, 08:17:12 PM

Yeah that cost has kept me from getting these two games. I keep putting them on Christmas and bday list but I guess nobody in my family wants to spend that much for "a game" either  ;D

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #922 on: September 25, 2022, 08:18:27 PM
Looks great

Yes, sir. I love good terrain and making it but it should not stand in the way of playing. I have a number of plans for projects big and small. But game systems like fistful of lead are great to get more time at the table and not be overwhelmed by the pile of unfinished projects.

Great looking game and sounds like alot of fun.

Do you tend to make generic terrain that can be utilized in different games or do yo like making game/era specific terrain?

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #923 on: September 25, 2022, 08:33:58 PM

Great looking game and sounds like alot of fun.

Do you tend to make generic terrain that can be utilized in different games or do yo like making game/era specific terrain?

It’s a great game system for young and old. Plus just use what you have for minis and with a figure count of 5-8 a side it’s not a huge cost of time or money. And the recommended game area for 2-player is 3x3 feet with 28mm models less if using smaller scale. So it’s also friendly that way too. We played on 6x4 with 4 players and honestly it felt a little too big. I think a game with more ranged attacks it would work great with all the room to maneuver.

Hard question. I like generic terrain. A tree, hill, stone wall, etc…can be used in any setting.  Also using felt like I have is great because it’s so abstract but clearly defines the area. For example, Green felt = forested . Difficult terrain, light cover, limited line of sight. Throw a model tree or two and it looks the part well enough for our table. The setting is irrelevant. Fantasy, historical, sci-fi, post-apocalyptic it’s a forest or woods. Maybe there’s radiation in the woods or something but that’s a rules or setting condition.

Buildings get a little more tricky because of associations of architecture with historical and geographic eras. I use our warhammer terrain for everything requiring a wall or ruin right now. No one notices but I don’t play at a club either. I have plans for buildings but yeah it’s harder to do generic and frankly buildings are used much less than good scatter terrain.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 08:47:19 PM by Bison »

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #924 on: September 25, 2022, 08:45:00 PM
I’d much rather have scenery and scatter terrain than buildings - but then again I don’t play any games that utilise buildings like kill team or 40k

Just looking at a LOTR board with forest fences walls and an occasional farmhouse look great

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #925 on: September 25, 2022, 09:05:54 PM
you guys gotta start breaking some of these game-specific discussions into their own threads so we don't lose sight of them buried in here after they end up 8-10 pages in the rearview mirror :)

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #926 on: September 25, 2022, 09:15:08 PM
Yes dad…  :'(;D

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #927 on: September 26, 2022, 06:51:04 AM
Looks like fun! I also have that Pink Floyd tee-shirt :-)

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

TTC

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
Reply #928 on: September 26, 2022, 09:07:20 AM
I also have the map for MMP's Kingdom of Heaven that I am probably going to set up today.

For the other half of my game table, I am debating Navajo Wars or giving the new solo CDG system a try with C&C Ancients.

I am also itching to get Vietnam: 1965-1975 and GBOH: Julius Caesar to the table.

I played the C&C Ancients last night with the CDG card-driven system.

The Battle of Baecula:
The Romans attacked the Carthaginians, slowly whittling away the Carthaginian center atop the ridgeline.

But the Roman attack on the right flank was repulsed by Hasdrubal himself and a small contingent of heavy infantry, who left their camp and in two turns destroyed three Roman medium infantry units.

The Carthaginian heavy infantry were devastating and led Carthage to a win with 8 banners to the Romans 4.

I am so intrigued by the system that GMT's For the People is now on my table.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 09:13:15 AM by TTC »

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #929 on: September 26, 2022, 08:26:46 PM
After you get some more plays with the CDG system let us know what you think.