Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: This Day in History  (Read 211854 times)

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #810 on: June 28, 2023, 03:00:09 PM
besilarius

I'm not sure if anyone has given you kudos for doing this every day - so I am.

Your dedication to this particular thread is impressive and I do check in from time to time to checkout exactly what happened on this day in history

:notworthy:

neach-gleidhidh na h-Alba

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #811 on: June 28, 2023, 03:48:21 PM
...and it keeps him out of mischief........

But yes, well said, JD.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #812 on: June 28, 2023, 11:12:05 PM
Appreciate that.  Thanks.
I'm not really trying to do more than share the fun in history.  So much irony and folks getting gobsmacked.  It's serious stuff, but also a lot of fun.

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #813 on: June 29, 2023, 08:48:34 AM
JD said what I should have said a while ago, in starting this thread but not doing anything with it.  :-[

Thanks, Bes!  :bigthumb:

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #814 on: June 29, 2023, 09:48:29 AM
I agree with the lads, keep up the good work, besilarius, I enjoy my daily history briefings!  8)

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #815 on: June 29, 2023, 10:36:40 AM
1797   Richard Parker, President of the "Floating Republic" at the Nore, hanged aboard HMS Sandwich
(98).

1817.  Marechial de camp Seignoir de Beauleau dies at the age of 92.
"A soldier is unfortunate indeed who shall be wounded by a common musket at 150 yards, provided his antagonist aimed at him."
An excellent demonstration of this fact occurred during one battle in the Seven Years’ War (1756-1763). It seems that, having routed the enemy, some French troops were pursuing them off the field, which was rather shrouded in gunsmoke, a commonplace of battles using traditional black powder.

One of the French soldiers, Mercoyrol de Beaulieu, imprudently donned the headdress of a fallen Hessian grenadier. At that, about 50 of de Beauliue’s comrades, mistaking him for the enemy in the smoke, opened fire, some of them at perhaps not more than 30 paces. Amazingly, de Beaulieu emerged completely unijured, despite a ball that had passed through his coat and another that had clipped his bayonet.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2023, 10:40:42 AM by besilarius »

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #816 on: June 30, 2023, 10:42:50 AM
1863.  Confederate forces seize Chambersburg, Pa.  Among various booty seized by the invaders, they find an incredible store of whiskey.  Even after loading supply wagons so full that they creaked and groaned from the strain,  there was yet a glut of booze.  A Texas regiment was designated to oversee the pouring out of the booze, and ordered to not drink any.
Doing their duty, they sorrowfully left town.  It was noted that as they passed a stream, no one needed to fill their canteens.

1880 Prince Alexander of Bulgaria, which had just attained its independence, asked the Tsar's Minister of War for the loan of 300 veteran NCOs to help train his new army, whereupon the Russian general replied that he could not spare the NCOs, but would The Prince accept the loan of 300 generals?

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #817 on: June 30, 2023, 12:11:03 PM
That last one was really good.  :bigthumb:

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #818 on: June 30, 2023, 01:07:56 PM
1880 Prince Alexander of Bulgaria, which had just attained its independence, asked the Tsar's Minister of War for the loan of 300 veteran NCOs to help train his new army, whereupon the Russian general replied that he could not spare the NCOs, but would The Prince accept the loan of 300 generals?

:notworthy:

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #819 on: June 30, 2023, 01:34:07 PM
Wonderful :-)

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #820 on: July 01, 2023, 10:04:05 AM
1797.  The Great Mutiny.
Sparked by the army getting a pay raise, the sailors of the British navy mutinied to complain about pay, tobacco allowance, poor living conditions and hard duty on blockade against Revolutionary France, and fanned by agitators in sympathy with the enemy.  The North Sea Squadron, however, remained largely free of disorders because its commander, Adm. Sir Adam Duncan, paid careful attention to any hint of disorder. If he received word that there was some unrest in a ship, Duncan would pay a visit.  Once aboard, he would make a little speech, pointedly reminding the men of their duty and of the inevitable punishment that would result from any acts of disloyalty.  The force of his argument was coupled with the impact of his appearance.  Duncan was by far the largest admiral in the fleet, 6’ 4”, well-built and very vigorous despite his 65 years.  It was a combination that never failed to impress the men of the fleet.

Well, most of them, anyway.

Alas, the men of HMS Adamant, a 50-gun ship, were particularly restive.  As a result, they had been honored by several visits from the admiral, though these had done little to alay the unrest for long.  Then, on May 14, 1797, mutinous disorders occurred in Adamant.

Apprised of the incident, Duncan promptly had himself rowed over to the troublesome vessel.  Boarding Adamant, he ordered the ship’s company mustered. The men, still bound by the shreds of discipline, complied, and Duncan addressed them from the quarterdeck,

My lads, I am not in the smallest degree apprehensive of any violent measures you may have in contemplation; and though I assure you I would much rather acquire your love than incur your fear, I will with my own hand put to death the first man who shall display the slightest signs of rebellious conduct.

Duncan paused, and then asked if there was anyone present who wished to dispute his authority, or that of the ship’s officers.

A voice rang out, “I do,” and a seaman stepped out of the assembled ranks to stand before the Admiral.

Hardly had the man stepped forward than Duncan reached down, grabbed him by the collar, and lifted him into the air. Holding him at arm’s length, Duncan walked over to the ship’s bulwark.  As he dangled the man over the side, Duncan turned to the rest of the ship’s company and said, “Lads, look at this fellow, he who dares to deprive me of the command of the fleet.”

With that, the mutiny dissolved in laughter, and HMS Adamant was shortly deemed to be one of the most reliable ships in the fleet.

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #821 on: July 01, 2023, 12:06:49 PM
So you could say the sailors of HMS Adamant were adamant to cause unrest?  :whistle:

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #822 on: July 01, 2023, 01:44:54 PM
Well, yes, in theory, you could say that..................but................I doubt anyone here would, erm, sink to such depths.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2023, 02:16:40 PM by bob48 »

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #823 on: July 01, 2023, 02:16:12 PM
 ;D

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #824 on: July 01, 2023, 05:27:30 PM
When allied troops entered Naples,  the Germans clung fiercely to the city, battling Italian partisans for days while trying to destroy its extensive harbor facitilities. As a result, there was much devastation. Food, water, medical supplies were all scarce, there were thousands of wounded civilians. Allied civil affairs personnel attempted to cope with problem, but were themselves beset by a shortage of resources.

The Prince of Caracciolo, scion of one of the noblest Italian families and head of the Italian Red Cross, knew of the location of extensive stocks of food, medicines, and other supplies that had been kept hidden from the Germans. But when he approached the Allied occupation authorities, he got nowhere; everyone either ignored him or fobbed him off on someone else, and his polite attempts to submit a written proposal explaining his purpose were ignored..

Finally the Prince hit upon a clever idea. He penned a note to the senior British naval officer in the city, which included the lines, “One of your admirals hanged one of my relatives. I demand an immeidate meeting.”

One can immagine the consternation this caused. Within a very short time the prince was ushered into the British admiral’s office. Before anyone could speak, the Prince said, “I am the head of the Italian Red Cross in Naples, and have access to large stocks of food and medical supplies.”

Taken aback, the British admiral, said, “But what about this relative you say was hanged by one of our admirals?”

“Oh,” replied the Prince, “that was my kinsman Admiral Francesco Caracciolo, who was hanged by your Admiral Nelson in 1799

I've seen this one before, but it always makes me chuckle. 

And I second JD, Bawn, and everyone else, by the way:  I love that you do these, besilarius.  I don't say it nearly often enough, but I genuinely enjoy & appreciate them.  :bigthumb: 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike