Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Fields of Fire 2  (Read 5488 times)

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #15 on: October 24, 2020, 10:31:49 PM
Oh man, I feel this on a personal level.. I've committed to trying to learn this game twice, I mean REALLY committed.  This game is an abolute enigma.  If you're committed to getting the rules 'right' it is just so difficult.. Currently split on wether I should sell the game or give it another try.  It's so close to being something good, but easily the most confusing rulebook I've ever engaged with. Every turn is just "wait.. what about this? oh and this edge case? Huh but what if this..."

This is not the first time I've seen this comment or something similar about these games and its really the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger to buy them.

Pinetree

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #16 on: October 30, 2020, 04:58:35 AM
I see a lot of angst over this game, people go into this with the wrong attitude, thinking it's some beast that must be conquered and they never get to enjoy the game.  I watched the complete playthrough videos on YouTube by Chris Hobbs and Mike Whitmore before I even looked the rules. I was in awe of the gameplay and really wanted to play it.  The rules were a lot easier to understand after that. However there is a ton of errata to consider (FoF2 has even more) but the gameplay flows nicely when it clicks and it is a lot of fun.

What makes it difficult is the edge cases that pop up and are not covered by the rules. I adopt a 5 minute rule in that if I cant find a ruling within 5 minutes in the book or at the BGG forums, I make a judgement call and play on. I'll sometimes make a note and then do a proper search afterwards. The important thing is not to get bogged down. Most of the time, the judgement call turns out out to be the correct one. Don't worry about it too much, it is a solo game after all and if you're having fun, that's the important thing.

judgedredd

Reply #17 on: October 31, 2020, 03:46:23 AM
I have been watching some videos. Sometimes they are very helpful - but then other times I find them somewhat confusing.

For example I'm watching a guy play the first Peleliu mission and moving units onto cards where other units already are (example - he had units on cards then moved amphib vehicles onto those cards and unloaded the infantry...and I was looking and thinking "How is he keeping track of what infantry he's already dealt with?")

The game does have a huge appeal for me now I've read half the manual and watched videos - but the manual...and no index. That really sticks in my throat.

I do now have a stand for my Samsung tablet so I can now have the digital copy of the rules for searching whilst I'm playing - when I get it to the table.

I think I'll make a start on this...Fields of Fire 1 before Fields of Fire 2 (more infantry only and random  terrain cards) and after my RAF:Battle of Britain game I'm currently playing.

Pinetree

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #18 on: November 01, 2020, 05:19:13 PM
Yeah, I would definitely start with Vol 1

GriffinTwoSix

• Patreon Supporters
  • Trooper
Reply #19 on: November 03, 2020, 09:21:48 AM
Good point Pinetree, definitely think the 5 minute rule is a good idea. I'm going to give this a stab again at some point, will just write down my rules questions, play as best I can and try not to get bogged down with the little items.  I'm normally very strict with myself rules-wise so it is a little counter to my nature, but I think you're right it is a solo game after all and the narrative is half the fun.