Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: By Stealth and Sea (DVG)  (Read 2555 times)

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
on: November 06, 2020, 11:02:12 PM
DVG sent me a copy of By Stealth and Sea. A David Thompson design, this one deals with Italian frogmen using submersibles to sneak into British harbors and sink things. I had wondered if this would be too esoteric a topic for my interest (I know very little about these operations other than these men had to have massive cajones for even attempting this kind of thing, at night). I've gotten a couple of plays of the initial scenario in, which deal with attacking Gibraltar harbor in September 1940. Historically it was a disaster. My first mission was exactly that, but my second one saw more luck as I sank the HMS Barham and HMS Sheffield. I lost one SLC to patrol boat fire; the other two managed to destroy their targets and scuttle their SLCs, but were captured. Still, it was a major victory.

Quite an enjoyable game...easy to learn, extremely tense, challenging enough to make wins savory. I'll do a full write-up once I've had a chance to go at the other harbors in the game a couple of times.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #1 on: November 06, 2020, 11:11:06 PM
Wow! This looks quite unique. I don't think I've ever heard of a game covering this subject.  :bigthumb:

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

judgedredd

Reply #2 on: November 07, 2020, 02:13:31 AM
Hey!!! Today isn't unboxing day!

Also - how do I get companies to send me games? That sounds like a deal I'd quite like.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #3 on: November 07, 2020, 10:05:53 AM
For me it was just getting on their radars by producing some decent AARs and reviews.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

judgedredd

Reply #4 on: November 07, 2020, 05:07:12 PM
Ha. AARs again!