Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Falcon 4 BMS 4.35 Released  (Read 5158 times)

Doctor Quest

• Corporal
  • I'm not a real doctor.
on: January 08, 2021, 10:54:35 PM
I don't know if we have the flight sim community here we did at the place-that-shall-not-be-named but I know at least JD dabbles in it a bit. There may be others interested in this news.

Flight sims are a big part of my gaming life. I have been flying them since my first Commodore 64 showed me the glory of Microprose Strike Eagle.

Here is the announcement link. https://www.benchmarksims.org/forum/showthread.php?40646-Falcon-BMS-4-35-Full-Installer&p=557049#post557049

If you are not familiar with BMS it is a total conversion of the classic Falcon 4.0 F-16 simulator. BMS is free but you must have a legal copy of Falcon 4.0 installed on your rig. Falcon 4.0 is available for dirt cheap at Good Old Games (gog.com). BMS gives DCS a decent run for the money as a hardcore F-16 sim.

The link will give you plenty of information.

Check Six.

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Something so addictive about the whole kill and loot dynamic, though." - Gusington

judgedredd

Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 03:13:18 AM
Yeah I love flight simming. I have DCS - must've spent over £500 on modules for it. I also have Microsoft Flight Sim, the IL2 - Battle of series,  X-Plane and Rise of Flight.

DCS is my go to for blowing shit up and MSFS is my calming jaunt allowing me to go from A to B stress free.

I have to say - going back to your post - that I tried BMS some time ago and it was a helluva mess to get installed and working. I know it's came a long way since then and it's got hundreds of thousands of followers - but I'm not one of them.

Not for any other reason really than I have my hands full learning my DCS modules. I know it's superior in some ways - particularly the campaign and perhaps even content - but I love my DCS. And there's an AH-64D and a Hind coming to DCS - as well as a Mosquito and a dynamic campaign. Not to mention having a fully functional carrier to perform ops from.

So I can't see me ever installing BMS again - just too much going on in DCS I'm afraid.

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 06:42:18 AM
I was an avid flight simmer but as I get older, the reflexes get slower, and the eyes get weaker I find I play less and less often.  I pretty much stick to IL-2 BOX and War Thunder these days.  I never did really get into anything post WWII.  Flying jets and fiddling with screens just doesn't interest me.  (never stopped me from dumping money into DCS and Falcon though.)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #3 on: January 09, 2021, 07:15:03 AM
Back in the day, it was THE combat flight sim.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

judgedredd

Reply #4 on: January 09, 2021, 09:45:48 AM
Oh hell yes it was. It actually is better in some ways. Campaign  ATC, flyables

But I couldn't go back.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #5 on: January 09, 2021, 09:56:05 AM
I didn't really know it (or forgot) but Falcon 4.0 is on Steam for $7 US.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/429530/Falcon_40/

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Doctor Quest

• Corporal
  • I'm not a real doctor.
Reply #6 on: January 09, 2021, 01:10:23 PM
Yeah I love flight simming. I have DCS - must've spent over £500 on modules for it. I also have Microsoft Flight Sim, the IL2 - Battle of series,  X-Plane and Rise of Flight.

DCS is my go to for blowing shit up and MSFS is my calming jaunt allowing me to go from A to B stress free.

I have to say - going back to your post - that I tried BMS some time ago and it was a helluva mess to get installed and working. I know it's came a long way since then and it's got hundreds of thousands of followers - but I'm not one of them.

Not for any other reason really than I have my hands full learning my DCS modules. I know it's superior in some ways - particularly the campaign and perhaps even content - but I love my DCS. And there's an AH-64D and a Hind coming to DCS - as well as a Mosquito and a dynamic campaign. Not to mention having a fully functional carrier to perform ops from.

So I can't see me ever installing BMS again - just too much going on in DCS I'm afraid.

I am not trying to sell it but my experience so far has been very positive. It is a single download. A single install file. The configuration can get complicated due to all the options but, really, DCS is just as bad or worse in that regard IMHO.

I am just trying to provide some new to the community. Do with it what you please and feel comfortable with.

And you can't beat the price for what you get.

"Something so addictive about the whole kill and loot dynamic, though." - Gusington

judgedredd

Reply #7 on: January 09, 2021, 04:20:32 PM
I didn't mean anything by my post. It's very helpful and for people looking to get into a very cheap, decent flight sim, it's an excellent link.

I was just saying I've been there, played around but ultimately DCS has me hooked and I couldn't go back.

I do recall one episode in Falcon 4 (before BMS I think) where I was flying back to base after providing cover for a tanker. I was a fair way away from the base but the headings ATC kept giving me were on the money and when I got the final bearing, I was heading straight down the runway. Couldn't believe it.

Doctor Quest

• Corporal
  • I'm not a real doctor.
Reply #8 on: January 09, 2021, 05:34:41 PM
No worries.  :bigthumb:

Davout

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #9 on: January 10, 2021, 03:47:42 AM
- I have Falcon 3.0 and an expansion but never learned how to make it work properly.

judgedredd

Reply #10 on: January 10, 2021, 05:32:08 AM
Falcon 3? Wow. That's going back a bit. I'm not surprised you're having some difficulty getting it running.  Wasn't that a DOS game?

Ha...yep. I remember it well now.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 05:35:14 AM by judgedredd »

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #11 on: January 10, 2021, 06:13:54 AM
Yep, lots of memories there  :bigthumb:

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #12 on: January 10, 2021, 07:39:41 AM
The Falcon4 bundle on GOG includes Falcon 3.0 along with the MiG29 and Operation Fighting Tiger stand alone add-ons (not sure if they include the Hornet add on). It also includes Falcon AT and the original Falcon- That's a lot of DOS nostalgia for $9.99!

You can pretend you've dusted off your old 8-bit IBM 5051 and play the original Falcon in all it's purple and teal CGA graphics goodness.  :rockon:

A few years back I came across a boxed copy of 3.0 with the manuals at a thrift store. There were no disks left but I got it anyway. Now I'm glad I did.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 07:44:06 AM by Staggerwing »

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa