Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Whats on Your Table?  (Read 178121 times)

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #1035 on: January 15, 2024, 10:43:20 AM
Vicky does look pretty stern on the board art.

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #1036 on: February 05, 2024, 04:15:47 AM
Taking a break from Red Strike

neach-gleidhidh na h-Alba

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #1037 on: February 05, 2024, 05:52:41 AM
Its a really great game system!

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #1038 on: February 08, 2024, 02:12:13 PM
Taking a break from Red Strike

How are you getting on with that, JD?

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #1039 on: April 02, 2024, 03:50:05 AM
Big battle coming up. Hammerin' Sickles in Longstreet Attacks

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #1040 on: April 02, 2024, 06:17:18 AM
Good stuff, JD.

I'm very much into 'Last Hundred Yards' at the moment - its a bit of a learning curve, but very rewarding once you get proficient with it.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #1041 on: April 02, 2024, 09:27:30 AM
Mr. President by GMT Games.

This thing is a table hog, but fortunately I can fit it on my new table! I guess the table passed the test  ;D

I spent quite a bit of Sunday setting this up and reading through one of the many manuals. I also watched a video that details the first turn, but I'm only halfway through it (the video is more than 2 hours long). There's a LOT going on in this game, but the story it tells and all the tons of decisions you get to make in it...it's hard not to want to play it.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 09:29:38 AM by BanzaiCat »

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #1042 on: April 02, 2024, 11:31:27 AM
Good stuff, JD.

I'm very much into 'Last Hundred Yards' at the moment - its a bit of a learning curve, but very rewarding once you get proficient with it.
Nice one...I never did get proficient at it. But I am keeping hope for the future.

Mr. President by GMT Games.

This thing is a table hog, but fortunately I can fit it on my new table! I guess the table passed the test  ;D

I spent quite a bit of Sunday setting this up and reading through one of the many manuals. I also watched a video that details the first turn, but I'm only halfway through it (the video is more than 2 hours long). There's a LOT going on in this game, but the story it tells and all the tons of decisions you get to make in it...it's hard not to want to play it.

I was tempted with that...but the length of a turn made me rethink. I've heard nothing but great things about it from several YT'ers.

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #1043 on: April 04, 2024, 05:05:08 AM
Also - with Mr President, I think it was all the reading that put me off.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #1044 on: April 11, 2024, 04:42:46 PM

There IS a lot to it, but, it's REALLY well organized. It walks you through everything; that's how I was able to set up. There were some issues I had in that it doesn't really show you what a lot of the counters look like, so I spent a good amount of time pouring over all the counter sheets to find what I needed, but eventually it worked. And in a way, that's actually a good thing, to get you familiar with all the counters in the game.

The game has a very precise turn sequence and in each phase, you do certain actions. It's a huge game, but each part that makes it up overall is relatively bite-sized, if that makes sense.

I'm especially impressed that there's no politics per the current interpretation of the word - in other words, there's no Democrats, no Republicans, no Libertarians, no Green Party, none of that. Just "your party" and the "opposition party." A deft avoidance of what might have been a rather sticky point, though a lot of people gave this game it's share of crud over the years, which I won't get into.

It's definitely a learning curve, but the story this will tell seems to me to be phenomenal. It's a solid design and Gene really spent a lot of his effort and sweat to make it work, all the while with an eye of making it approachable enough without sacrificing detailed play. A tough balance to attempt. We'll see how it plays out; I only just got back to town late last night and now I have ISS Vanguard all in and a few other Kickstarters all freakin' arriving tomorrow, lol.

I do love that the manuals hold your hand through the process. But you really need to have a love of this type of thing (political game, Presidential simulator) to get enjoyment out of it.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #1045 on: April 11, 2024, 05:32:30 PM
I'm still very much enjoying LHY at the moment.

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #1046 on: April 12, 2024, 10:36:01 AM
I'm still very much enjoying LHY at the moment.
:bigthumb:

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #1047 on: April 12, 2024, 10:40:54 AM

There IS a lot to it, but, it's REALLY well organized. It walks you through everything; that's how I was able to set up. There were some issues I had in that it doesn't really show you what a lot of the counters look like, so I spent a good amount of time pouring over all the counter sheets to find what I needed, but eventually it worked. And in a way, that's actually a good thing, to get you familiar with all the counters in the game.

The game has a very precise turn sequence and in each phase, you do certain actions. It's a huge game, but each part that makes it up overall is relatively bite-sized, if that makes sense.

I'm especially impressed that there's no politics per the current interpretation of the word - in other words, there's no Democrats, no Republicans, no Libertarians, no Green Party, none of that. Just "your party" and the "opposition party." A deft avoidance of what might have been a rather sticky point, though a lot of people gave this game it's share of crud over the years, which I won't get into.

It's definitely a learning curve, but the story this will tell seems to me to be phenomenal. It's a solid design and Gene really spent a lot of his effort and sweat to make it work, all the while with an eye of making it approachable enough without sacrificing detailed play. A tough balance to attempt. We'll see how it plays out; I only just got back to town late last night and now I have ISS Vanguard all in and a few other Kickstarters all freakin' arriving tomorrow, lol.

I do love that the manuals hold your hand through the process. But you really need to have a love of this type of thing (political game, Presidential simulator) to get enjoyment out of it.
It has intrigued me - I have to say.

I've seen lots of positive stuff regarding it, but then I saw a 5 minute video of some guy saying he just can't do it - and he looked dejected AF.

Can I ask what size table you can "get away with"? I have a 35" x 50" area with 60" if absolutely necessary