Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Tuesday Newsday! Weekly dump of wargaming news  (Read 72584 times)

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #240 on: February 08, 2022, 07:42:14 PM
 :o  Who knew Wargamers could be so social? And even considerate? Here I thought we were all a bunch of, 'Lone Wolves' trapped in our basements, that reminds me, I gotta get a basement, swilling Diet Coke and eating Cheetos.  :hug:

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #241 on: February 08, 2022, 08:46:11 PM

"Man...knowing how to use the cards properly certainly changes how I play the game" -- judgedredd

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #242 on: February 09, 2022, 04:45:21 AM
Look, we could say that the Munchkin craze is getting out of hand with the release of the new Munchkin Petting Zoo but really, didn’t that ship sail long, long ago?

Yes.  Yes, it did.  ::) 

Although I'm not sure who's more to blame -- Jackson, or the fans/customers... 

Paradox has rebuilt their website, and the sales are no longer collected onto a single page. Ugh.

Wow, you weren't kidding.  That is...not the worst store layout I've ever seen, I suppose, but it's a definite step back compared to what it was before.  Uff-da. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #243 on: February 09, 2022, 05:59:51 AM
Honestly, paradox website is better now than it used to be. It's much easier to find the games as sorted by the franchise you're interested in.  For 99% of the traffic to that site, that's an improvement. 

Unfortunately, I'm in that 1% that is looking for something else and that makes it hard to find for me

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
  • Hang on, let me overthink this.
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #244 on: February 12, 2022, 11:06:22 AM
The Wargaming "Community"

https://www.armchairdragoons.com/news/the-wargaming-community-tuesdaynewsday-2-8-22/

I'm not sure my question belongs here. I've been thinking about this for a couple weeks and Brant's intro to the Feb. 8th Tuesday Newsday prompted me to ask you all what you think. If this should go into the Symposia section, (or somewhere else more appropriate), can one of the admin please move it?

So, here's my question: I'm curious to learn how everyone manages their wargaming community info collection/participation. Here is what I mean:

Until ACDC 2022, I didn't use Discord. I knew it was a combination of social media and a communication platform and it just didn't interest me. After ACDC, I began to understand how much more of a social media presence Discord is and I've started logging in a couple times a week to see what's posted in the text channels. One of these days I'll even participate in the ACD Happy Hour. :) At first I only joined, (or do we say follow?, do you follow Discord servers?), anyway, I joined the ACD Discord server and the International Kriegsspeil Society Discord server. I wondered how many other wargaming Discords were out there and then discovered ConsimWorld has a Discord server, joined it, and lo-and-behold, there's BayonetBrant in the #general text channel!  ;D Are there other wargaming Discords people would recommend?

I use Twitter and I don't engage much with it. It is more of an environmental scanning tool for me.

I don't use Facebook and don't have a desire to, and I know there is a large wargaming community there too.

The ACD website is my go-to place for news and a place to participate, even if I don't contribute that much. There are other places to get info, or contribute, such as Consimworld, Grognard.com and the Grognard Wargamer Thread! at Quarter to Three; however, I rarely participate in those places. I normally just scan for info. There's YouTube; however, I don't consider that a pace for me to get wargaming news or participate in wargaming discussions. It is a place to get info, which I do, so that's another item to manage.

I use RSS for some sites: Hex and Counter & Wargaming at Reddit, Tally-Ho Corner, RockMountain Navy Gamer, the usual suspects. :)

So, the wargaming community is large and it made me wonder, how do you all manage all the info generated by this community?

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #245 on: February 12, 2022, 11:43:25 AM
Let's shift this discussion over to a new thread

https://www.armchairdragoons.com/forum/index.php?topic=4053

it's a good idea to chat about and worth it's own place to do it

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

trailrunner

• Corporal
Reply #246 on: February 12, 2022, 11:52:21 AM

So, the wargaming community is large and it made me wonder, how do you all manage all the info generated by this community?

ASL is about 80 percent of my wargaming.  In some ways, the online ASL community is a bit fractured.  There are at least two ASL discord channels  One channel I like, and will make dedicated sub-channels (or whatever they're called) for special events such as ASLOK and WO.  The primary ASL forum is on GameSquad, although there have been some churn there over the last couple of years.  Both the Discord channel and GameSquad are pretty active for rules discussions, which not surprisingly is a very active topic with ASL  There are two parallel ASL groups on FB, and a SK group also (IMO it would be nice to merge all of these).  Our local club (DC Conscripts) has a page on FB and an email list.  BGG has ASL forums organized by module, which really spreads things out, and I think there is an active community on Consimworld, although I never go on that site so I don't really know.

Our local ASL club has monthly game days.  For a while, I was also organizing local SK players, and hosting small game days at my house.  When COVID hit, I expanded that a bit, but I've moved on to the full game and a few others have more or less taken over leading the SK group.

For other wargaming, we have a local club (KGB), but I've only been able to make it to one game day, and that was right before COVID.  They have an email list, but it's not super active.  They have a FB page, but my request to join was never answered and AFAIK it's not active.

I'm fortunate to have two friends who happen to play wargames, and I get together with them whenever our schedules align.

I’ve spent half my life’s earning on wargames, women, and drink. The rest I wasted.

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #247 on: February 15, 2022, 02:02:04 PM

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #248 on: February 15, 2022, 04:00:24 PM
Yes, they’re the Buzzfeed of the NatSec world, but 19FortyFive are bringing up an important point with “don’t forget about Kaliningrad”...

Which article then contains,

A Russian enclave located just above Poland and just under Lithuania, the threat from Kaliningrad is more easily overlooked than Russia proper.

I refuse to allow mole people to influence my decision making, especially when I'm considering being an idiot and ordering more books from THWP. Let our own lovely Polish mole people deal with them, and if worse comes to worst, the Lithuanians can just park big trucks on their manhole covers, right?

"Man...knowing how to use the cards properly certainly changes how I play the game" -- judgedredd

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #249 on: February 22, 2022, 12:07:08 PM

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #250 on: March 01, 2022, 11:57:00 AM

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

pixelgeek

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #251 on: March 01, 2022, 12:46:50 PM
As wargamers, there’s always going to be a certain detached curiosity we bring to the table when exploring conflict topics like this.

Nope. Not at all. Wild over-generalization.

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
Reply #252 on: March 01, 2022, 01:29:34 PM
Speaking of the war we're not supposed to speak of, Combat Mission: Black Sea is 30% off at Steam.   :-X

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #253 on: March 01, 2022, 04:26:48 PM
Surely that's a coincidence. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
Reply #254 on: March 01, 2022, 11:23:11 PM
Probably just a marketing trick to promote the next DLC, "Russian Tank, Go F**k Yourself". It could happen.  :waiting: