Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: FOCUS ON.......................Eagles of France  (Read 4581 times)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
on: May 17, 2022, 04:07:31 PM
I am aware that there are those among us who, when the mood takes them, are not adverse to donning an outrageous hat, sticking their hands in their coats and speaking in a faux French accent. You know who you are, mon amis!

So, in view of that, I thought we could look at the Eagles of France games from those Gallic messieurs at Hexasim.

There are four games in the series, these being as follows;

Fallen Eagles - Waterloo. This seems to have been out of print for a long time.
Last Eagles - Ligny
Rising Eagles - Austerlitz
Last Eagles - Quatre Bras

In common with all the games I have seen from Hexasim, the production quality of all the components is first class, the maps in particular are excellent and very evocative of the period. The counters are nicely cut and very colourful, almost confusingly so at first glance.

I have played Ligny and Austerlitz and found the rules to be easy to learn and the games enjoyable to play. I have to say though that I am no great adherent of the period and got the feeling that more dedicated enthusiasts of the period may refer to the games as being somewhat 'lite' in nature.

The only slight gripe I had was the use of NATO type symbols on the counters which always puts me off a bit in period games where, to me, some nicely illustrated uniformed figures would be much more atmospheric. Look at the counters in the ‘Vae Victis’ Waterloo game to see what I mean. But that's just me, and it does not detract from game play at all.

So, does anyone have any of the games, and, if so, the crucial question, actually played them?

Merci beaucoup.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #1 on: May 17, 2022, 04:25:04 PM
I don't have them, but we don't lack for Napoleonicists 'round here to chime in :)

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #2 on: May 18, 2022, 03:07:30 PM
....I wonder where they all are..............?

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #3 on: May 18, 2022, 05:36:57 PM
Yeah, I'd like to hear more about these!

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #4 on: May 19, 2022, 03:26:20 PM
Sorry! That was me. I'm working on my cricket-calling; I'm hoping to win first prize at the state fair this year.

"Man...knowing how to use the cards properly certainly changes how I play the game" -- judgedredd

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #5 on: May 19, 2022, 03:53:39 PM
It would have helped if you had done it in a French accent.

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
  • Hang on, let me overthink this.
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #6 on: June 01, 2022, 10:15:44 AM
Sorry! That was me. I'm working on my cricket-calling; I'm hoping to win first prize at the state fair this year.

Mcguire, with the amount of discussion on this thread, you should win first prize this year.   :)

I don't own these games, nor have I played them. Although it takes more time and money, I prefer to games historical battle with miniatures.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #7 on: June 05, 2022, 03:46:29 PM
For any shy Napoleonic fans out there, I should mention that the Hexasim games are stocked by GMT, and maybe there are other sources in the US from where you can obtain the games.