Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Railway Empire 2  (Read 3822 times)

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
on: August 24, 2022, 04:30:03 AM
Looks like it could be fun.  Anyone play/own the first game? 

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1644320/Railway_Empire_2/

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #1 on: August 24, 2022, 12:42:36 PM
I would love a good railway game I could get into without getting bored too quickly. This one looks like it could be a Winner.

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #2 on: August 26, 2022, 03:53:09 AM
It looks like the devs are really going for the replayability angle:  There's both "Free Play" and "construction" modes, 5 campaigns and 14 smaller scenarios, and you can play on both Europe and North America. 

It also sounds like a fair amount of work is being done to (at least partially) improve some of the more boring fiddly/micromanage-intensive aspects, such as automatic signal placement and the way tracks are constructed (though I'll reserve judgment on that until I've seen it in action). 

Perhaps most important of all, however -- at least to me -- is that this game does *not* include you needing to wheel & deal in the boardroom, or work the stock market in any fashion (ala Railroad Tycoon).  I can appreciate there are those who do enjoy that aspect as well, and I can even understand the appeal in the abstract, but I'm not one of them myself. 

Incidentally, this one-sentence Steam review of the first game has definitely roused my interest: 

This is an amazing logistics puzzle game disguised as a railway sim

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #3 on: August 26, 2022, 03:28:55 PM
^I felt the same exact way about Anno 1800 but could never figure out the puzzle, even in the tutorials :/

Always do what you feel is best.