Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Whats on Your Table?  (Read 178149 times)

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #165 on: May 03, 2019, 11:56:18 AM
After my SpaceCorp AAR, I put Hitler's Reich (another GMT game) on my table, but the rules were a PIA. I posted to FB about my issues and Mark, the designer of HItler's Reich, was very helpful in pointing me to some resources for figuring things out. Meanwhile I put another of Mark's creations, Rebel Raiders On The High Seas, on my table, but it's not set up so I might just jump back to Hitler's Reich.

I've also got DG's Khe Sahn '68 (a solo game) that I've been leafing through, and y'all got me wanting to do something on Big Trouble In Little China instead.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 12:00:12 PM by BanzaiCat »

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #166 on: May 04, 2019, 07:22:16 PM
Vietnam Rumor of War from Compass Games has arrived!

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #167 on: May 05, 2019, 06:28:42 AM
I'll be interested to know how it plays.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #168 on: May 05, 2019, 06:33:40 AM
He’d have to actually open and play it for us to find that out.....

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #169 on: May 05, 2019, 08:16:40 AM
He’d have to actually open and play it for us to find that out.....

Hey, it's not like I'm BC! But it will be pretty much Gloomhaven and Cataclysm until Origins.  :D

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Arctic Blast

• Jr Lancer
Reply #170 on: May 10, 2019, 03:59:45 PM
Hoping to play Heores of Land, Air & Sea again tonight. I love this game. It's equal parts Heroes of Might & Magic : The Board Game and simple yet fun 4X game. I like it so much that I've ordered both of the big box expansions. I may have a problem.  ;D

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #171 on: May 10, 2019, 04:22:34 PM
Hoping to play Heores of Land, Air & Sea again tonight. I love this game. It's equal parts Heroes of Might & Magic : The Board Game and simple yet fun 4X game. I like it so much that I've ordered both of the big box expansions. I may have a problem.  ;D

sounds like you need to write up a review for us :)

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Arctic Blast

• Jr Lancer
Reply #172 on: May 11, 2019, 08:03:43 PM

sounds like you need to write up a review for us :)

Sometime after I finally get to punch out the expansions...and then play them... ;D   Obviously, this ain't hitting the table this weekend, but Tsukuyumi : Full Moon Down is about to. It has a batshit crazy backstory, but it seems like an interesting Dudes on a Map game design.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #173 on: May 12, 2019, 10:43:14 AM
I’ve been spliting my limited gaming time between clipping ASL counters and teaching my daughters how to build MtG decks. I want to get Empire of the Sun to the table but I fear that is a few months always...:(

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #174 on: May 12, 2019, 11:45:49 AM
Picket Duty, 2nd Edition.

After considering it, I'd decided that a game that's on rails isn't necessarily a bad thing. Arguments could certainly be made on either side of the game coin about how much meaningful decisions make up your chosen games. Some are more so than others. I initially reviewed Picket Duty (1st ed.) over at the other site and was less than pleased with the game. I've also derided Target For Today and B-29 (I'd started a B-29 AAR over at that same site and just couldn't continue it because it was boring the hell out of me).

That's a discussion for another thread, probably. But I'd thought narrative-generating games are good if you approach them expecting exactly that. If you approach a game like this thinking you're going to make a lot of choices and not roll on a ton of tables, you're going to be as disappointed as I was.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #175 on: May 31, 2019, 10:51:12 AM
I took the plunge and ordered SHAEF from PSC as it was on sale again.  I also added in a copy of Tenkatoitsu so I could get above the $100 free shipping threshold because I'm a financial genius!  Spend and extra $60 to save $8 in shipping.  If anyone needs and investment advice, just ask.

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #176 on: June 04, 2019, 07:46:40 PM
I was supposed to play Holland '44 today but got stood up!  Stood up by a nerd, oh the humanity!

Oh well, it was to be my first time playing so I decided to solo a few turns as I'm not that comfortable with the rules having only played Normandy '44 a few times and never this one or Ardennes.

Landings on all 3 drops zones went off with barely a hitch (one scattered unit amongst the 101st.  Why can't I ever roll like this against a human opponent?)

XXX Corps blasted through the German lines with the help of air and artillery but quickly got jammed up on the road. (Germans got all their traffic jam makers out)

The Red Devils pushed for the bridge in Arnhem and set up a perimeter around their drop zones.  Got into some rough fights with the SS and took casualties.  The Germans blew the rail bridge and Frost stopped just short of the north end of Arnhem bridge.

The 82nd tried to rush the bridge at Nijmegen but were stopped short by Kampfgruppe Henkle.  THey were able to take the Grave bridge intact but took heavy casualties securing the town.  The Germans blew 3 bridges along the Maas-Waal Canal but the 82nd managed to find one still intact.  Lots of Germans from the 406th came pouring out of the Reichswald forest to rush Groosebeek heights and the landing zones there.  Doesn't look like the 82nd has enough there to stop an overrun.

Eindhoven looks like the biggest headache.  The 101st are spread all over the map with strong German forces coming in from the west.   Took the bridge at Son.  Just have to hold it and clear the city of Einhoven until XXX Corps show up.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 07:49:44 PM by Silent Disapproval Robot »

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #177 on: June 04, 2019, 08:26:41 PM
Who turns that down?!

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #178 on: June 04, 2019, 08:30:20 PM
My mounted maps for Holland 44 arrived today. They bokoo solid.

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #179 on: June 04, 2019, 08:40:48 PM
Mounted maps are the bomb-schnizzle

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.