Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: My Imagi-Nations  (Read 5416 times)

Justin Penwith

• Jr. Trooper
on: May 31, 2020, 11:18:39 PM
I am sure many, if not most of you, have heard of Charles S. Grant and Peter Young, two gents who were instrumental in helping to start a small trend in wargaming known as "Imagi-Nations." These are not the only folks involved at the start, but their respective books, The "Wargame Rules" and "Charge" inspired a great number of folks to do something with their miniature collections that might cause others to shudder, to use their historical miniatures in ahistorical ways.

Quite a few blogs, including one of my own which I have sadly neglected for a year, exist in support of Imag-Nations, numerous threads over at TMP exist on the subject, but my own journey was one long coming. I adamantly refused to walk this particular path for about thirty years,  partly because of my professional interest in history, but also my gaming friends were entirely focused on actual historical battles and campaigns and then "refighting" those, that is where my attention gathered.

What caused an abrupt shift in my thinking was the writings of the late Otto Schmidt, who, although not a close friend,. was an individual whose personal impact on me has had a far great effect than I would have otherwise believed possible. I came across him during my occasional forays, otherwise called reconnaissance by fire,  into the forums of TMP (The Miniatures Page...should anyone not happen to know of that site), and found his works not only got my attention, but also helped light a fire in my belly, or perhaps stoke the fire that had already been there.

Now, I have a very active imagination, even to where I was attempting to write rules while on firewatch when in Marine Corps bootcamp, and I still have the notebook with my poor scribbles from 1986 to prove it. :) I also am a voracious reader, with a small personal library of about a couple thousand books, and I continue to read and re-read books in my collection as well as acquire new physical or digital copies of books, thoughout each year.

Fast forward to about six years or so ago and I fully jumped on the Imagi-Nations bandwagon and have completely changed the character and path going into the future of my wargaming hobby. Now, any miniatures I purchase are bought with the intent to use them in my Imagi-Nations, from Ancients to modern, including Roman gladiators to WW2 Russians, nothing is considered sacrosanct and I say to merry hell with all button counting and cuff coloring. I am the master of my destiny and if I want to paint 25mm SYW Saxons in pastels, by Jove and Jupiter, I will do so.

However, I have had some very real setbacks, including not one, not two, but three complete harddrive failures, causing me to lose all the work on multiple maps, lists, accumulations of historical artwork (for inspiration and also stolen for portraits of my stories' cast of characters. I have the guts of one computer, the hard drives of which I pray are intact enough to pull some data from, but I have not yet been brave enough to crack it open to try. Yes, I have been plagued with gremlins in my computers since I bought my Commodore 64 back in 1984. I have had computer techs tell me that they have never seen someone have the problems with computers that I have brought in, once  I had the CPU chip split in half, causing the tech to have to solder the chip to the motherboard in order to get my computer to work as I could not afford to buy a replacement CPU.

Presently, I am going through some mental gymnastics in an effort to save me some effort and money in deciding how to organize and base the figures of each of the armies I am purchasing and slowly (very until my son goes back to school after this silly virus quarantine/lockdown).  Now, most Imagi-Nations, but not all, are set somewhere in a fictional 18th Century central European setting, because that is what Grand and Young did. In my case, I have re-imagined world history from the historical event of AD79 and Vesuvius' eruption, causing a more catastrophic explosion that completely altered the Mediterranean basin, Southern Europe, and northern Africa.

Why have I done something so drastically? Because I can now use any historical figures from nearly any conflict or period and fit them in to the history of my Imagi-Nations and have it make perfect historical sense. My cast of characters mainly focuses on a quasi-1700s equivalence, as I like that setting (the art, music, and architecture really set it off in my mind) , but I have a working story, in my head, that has room for re-purposing WW2 miniatures as part of episodic timeline of wars and conflicts within the alternate history of my Imagi-Nations' world.

In the not-too-distant future, I will post more about it here, especially as I dust off my gaming blog and eventually get my house back to myself (it is a small two-bedroom house with a perpetually flooded basement that was not intended for long-term quests...the Chinese virus has temporarily caused one of my sons to live with me while he awaits his schooling location to re-open).

In the meantime, I will give you some hints as what is to come.

Scottish highlanders and lowlanders seen as religious zealots on a ..ahem...jihad to spread their religion, "Yarwegianism," to all heretics and infidels.

Roman gladiators as pit fighters for each of six major "Houses" in the remnants of the Empire, serving to advance the political and social interests of their owners.

Native Americans (ca 1700s) as units of professional warriors, fighting to save or free their homeland from alien peoples.

WSS, SYW, and AWI figures, as progressively changing armies over the course of two hundred years of my main protagonists (the -great-grand (etc) progeny of the six great Houses).

ECW and TYW miniatures as an interim and for the immediate pre-history of the main episodes of the timeline.

ACW figures for a great schism that occurred amongst two of the six Houses,  which had previously consolidated.

1700s-1800s naval vessels for fighting such actions of the six Houses at sea, including ACW ironclads and 1700s 5th raters.

Colonial miniatures for the more recent part of the timeline, through WW1 miniatures, although I think I am avoiding a "Great War" scenario overall.

WW2 miniatures for the later episodes of the timeline.

And yes, I have miniatures for all of these, and more, but not enough and not nearly enough are painted, but I have the remaining decades (I hope it is at least 3 more) of my life to finish and game as I go along.

I have an intention to write fictional stories in this alternate Earth-ish, timeline and perhaps publish and even sell them, but I am not certain it would be something that I could really many any money off of, but that won't stop me making an attempt at it).

Well, I could continue to write here for hours more, but I think my wall of text is already solidly built enough for someone to comment on it.

Cheers!

Justin

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 08:49:30 AM
Ah , knewt your name rang a bell.
Otto was quite a raconteur and I really loved his stories.
Hope to see you at the Weekend in August.

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

Justin Penwith

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 09:20:06 AM
I wish I could go, this year, but alas, the timing is very bad for me. I may be able to swing it next year, but with the virus closing down my work site, we have to go in earlier than usual to do the things we should have done, which begins the week of the Weekend, unfortunately.

Yeah, he gave me some personal and private encouragement, more than I expected, but apparently it was his character to do so. I truly miss his commentary and can only imagine what he would have said to one and all about the events of the past six months.

I will be making every effort to get to the Weekend, next year.

Justin

Justin Penwith

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 11:06:34 PM
I am constantly thinking, pondering,  cogitating, and even when going to sleep, thinking about wargaming, wargaming campaigns, history, and what I'd like to see in my ideal wargame.

A few things I know that I like, which some commercial games provide elements of, with possible answers or provisions for dealing with them are listed below. It is not an exhaustive list, but merely a start on some things I have been most recently brainstorming.

1) Variable starting unit strengths. Given that the unit strengths of a battalion or regiment (or whatever the organization was) on the day of battle would NEVER match their paper numbers, I am a fan of games that present me with the paper strength and then have me determine whether my forces have suffered from attrition.

2) Deals with our perfect knowledge of historical contexts. Whenever I see someone or a group of someones tell me they are going to play a certain historical battle scenario, I slightly cringe. Now, I am not taking away from their enjoyment, we all have things that interest and inspire us, but for me, a "historical refight" is nothing of the kind. My favorite Napoleonic battle to study has always been Austerlitz and almost a decade ago my gaming group (in California) play that battle using Age of Eagles on a 12' x 4' table and, for me, it was a miserable experience. I had fun being with my friends, but meh and I was not a huge fan of the rules (I do kinda like F&F for this variant of those rules does not do it for me) so maybe that had something to do with it. My team, the French, won, but that is likely because we really prepared for it, including having meetings on tactics and determining our overall battle plan, days before we met for the actual game. However, I digress...

ans.) Some publishers deal with this by giving me a basic roster of guys and then rolling dice to see how many of a particular unit will show up for the battle. This is easy to resolve and makes for a very interesting game.

I want a game system that takes in to account my perfect knowledge of what is going on and forces me to have to deal with some uncertainty in outcomes. For example, in many games we know what "to hit" number we will need and any modifiers that will help or hinder that, and then attempt to play in such a way to min/max the desired outcome.

ans.) I think opposed rolls help with this, but in a solitaire game, most especially, we still have a perfect awareness of what is going on, unless there is some mechanism, whether it be cards, a flow chart bot, or something, that we are aware of in the way of possibilities. So, what I am thinking of is whenever my campaign battles (for my Imagi-Nations) calls for me to roll a d6 in an opposed roll situation, I will roll a d6 for my side and a d8 for the opposition. So, if my math is right, in a straight-up die roll, I have a 25% chance of losing, because I cannot roll a 7 or 8 on a d6. With modifiers, for both dice, these percentages change, but even if I max my modifiers in my favor, I still suffer from the known unknowns and can have things go wrong when they otherwise would fall in my favor, guaranteed.

For example, let's say I am attacking with infantry in the open against an infantry opponent in the woods. I know that I'll be better off in open order, so I perform that formation change, I known that I will be better off if I am attacking from uphill (I am using a generic set of modifiers that we should have all seen before in SOME ruleset), so I move my troops in such a way to be attacking from uphill. I also know that having a friendly unit of mine on their flank or rear will give the enemy troops a combat penalty, so I arrange for that as well. Now, I have successfully used my knowledge to limit my risk and promote my advantage and will now need to roll a 5 or 6 to hit on X number of dice and the enemy will have fewer dice, because of my maneuvers, and will need a 6.

Or, I give the enemy forces d8s and make the outcome less certain for myself, because in a solo game I am moving the enemy troops and maybe I moved their infantry into those woods because, although militarily justifiable, I also knew that the rules would favor my counter-attack. In games where my opponent is present, this is not as necessary, but in a solitaire game, I think I need to look at including it.

3) Solo campaigns. A lot of very good games, many by my favorite designer, provide solo bots to play against, often utilizing a flow chart of decision making processes. A solo map campaign can use similar methods, if perhaps not going through the mental gymnastics of creating such flow charts.

In a point to point map campaign, I have an enemy who is going to attack me, along a common border of several points. Where will they attack from? Well, in certain games, there's only one or two options and then our best defensive position will be very obvious and so we'll stack our forces there, but that is not how reality works. Sure, they COULD come from the best position, but we'd have to guard against them knowing that we know this and thus decide to attack us from where we are not expecting (Ardennes Forest ring any bells?).

I think my answer to this is to work up a quick and easy system where I roll a single die, with modifiers, to determine where the enemy will move and as battles are fought, the success or failure of the enemy force will give modifiers to their rolls for movement choices.  Also, potential targets would factor into this decision-making process, for example if I have a fortress point on the map, but failed to leave a garrison there, perhaps that will add a modifier to the enemy roll, if they are within striking distance, or maybe they won the last battle and are in a position to pursue my weakened army, so they get a modifier to their roll that will, perhaps, push them into following my army. 

I don't know how, or even if I have the persmissions, to post images here, so look at the link below for an example of what I am thinking about. Two of my favorite boardgames are Friedrich and Maria, both of which use nearly exact systems. These are perfect examples of point to point maps, although my own campaign will have less points, but take a look and then read on.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Syz2lKL3xYY/ToGXOzRletI/AAAAAAAAU6U/EscHHtRMNw4/s1600/hcs_20110918_2865.jpg

The orange and read markers with the flag symbol on them are leaders, the other disks are approximately divisions of troops. Let's say I am the red player in a solitaire campaign game. It is orange's turn, after having defeated my forces on my campaign turn. What system will I need to create to give Orange some decisions beyond only chasing me down? Does he head to Cham to cover it or is the orange leader too timid to follow up and thus having done his duty, choose to fall back on Landshut? 

My thoughts are that I would dice for it, using a designated leader quality (probably, poor, competent, excellent, and impetuous) to provide modifiers, but also a modifier for how badly he beat me in the previous battle. In this case, it may be that the orange commander is poor so he is less likely to pursue, but he did achieve a minor tactical victory against me before his turn, so that gives him a positive modifier to follow my trail. On the other hand an impetuous leader would follow me up, ignoring my cavalry screen (the red cube and attempt to destroy my army. Further, the overall policy for that campaign season would also be a determining factor, were his orders to defend the borders or to push into my territory, those would necessarily be modifiers to the die roll.

I am considering having a chart for each of the leader types, instead of having modifiers for them, giving a range of options, but not eliminating any option only increasing or reducing the odds of it occurring.  So, it could be that a poor commander would pursue, but unlikely unless other mitigating circumstances push him in that direction.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gwUdCllSfcT-WPfo3So1v5OnUfK4XjRW/view?usp=sharing

An example of such a chart is in the link above.

While I could just decide what I want orange to do, my goal is to help remove some of the effects of my gamer's perfect knowledge and include something the reality that some leaders just did not behave as expected or even ordered (like Meade immediately after 3 July 1863)

There are other variables to consider, but for my projects, these are some things I am dealing with and need to write out so as to provide a foundation for further work and consideration.

Any thoughts?

Justin
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 10:24:16 AM by Justin Penwith »

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 03:58:13 PM
That's a whole lot of detail. Is there some unifying background document or are you just making it up as you go?

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Justin Penwith

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #5 on: June 03, 2020, 04:28:25 PM
That's a whole lot of detail. Is there some unifying background document or are you just making it up as you go?

I have a number of blog posts with a lot of the general background, although I have since changed some of the details.

Beyond that, I have composed episodes for some of the main members of the cast of characters, and am in the process of writing what may amount to serialized stories, eventually, that I am considering publishing as novellas, but that is way down the road.

Right now, I am tinkering with certain elements, as you can see, that will assist me in running my campaign solo, but also to be able to invite some people in to participate in larger events, such as games on TTS, or some such, set in my Imagi-Nations.

I have three layers of miniatures rules (skirmish, small action, mass battles), plus a strategic layer and while it may sound daunting, the idea is to, with a five or less die rolls a campaign season, determine which nation is attacking whom, what their objective is, and their depots/loc will be based. From that point, each "turn" of the campaign season will see me moving the troops I will be directly controlling, and rolling some dice to move everything else and when I say "dice" I am meaning something along the lines of a single roll to direct an opposing army.

I think there is something that can be done using a "bot" system similar to many boardgames, especially the COIN games, plus others, published by GMT and a few of the other specialty wargame publishers. I would like to get it intuitive enough to where I can roll the dice and know where I need to move the opposing forces without looking up the various charts and tables.

Sure, I can just do it all as I see fit, but that takes away from what I am trying to achieve, a reasonable reaction to situations in a military campaign, but ones that I cannot fully predict or predetermine.

If you have ever played Friedrich or Maria, I am trying to achieve something similar for my campaign, but completely solitaire friendly.

Justin

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #6 on: June 03, 2020, 05:29:33 PM
Got it. Thanks for explaining. It sounds pretty involved, but it also sounds like you've got a pretty solid plan to move forward with it

Looking forward to seeing more!

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love