Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: FOCUS ON........................GMT's '194X' Series.  (Read 7135 times)

judgedredd

Reply #15 on: April 07, 2022, 11:37:24 AM
Thanks for the heads up.

All my quibbles about this game system are very definitely minor. It's a very enjoyable system.

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #16 on: April 07, 2022, 04:43:06 PM
Thanks for the heads up.

All my quibbles about this game system are very definitely minor. It's a very enjoyable system.

The airborne landings in Holland '44 are some of my favorite wargaming moments. I find it alot of fun trying to organize the chaos after the somewhat random airdrop results.

Speaking of my minor quibbles, I've got one that I think this series brought out in my mind but is probably true for me in the hobby in general. And this might sound stupid to some of y'all but I have the hardest with unit organizational ID and its nomenclature. Say I want to do a quick post or AAR with a picture of the game. If it is not stupidly obvious or mentioned specifically in the rules I have a hard time "saying" the unit organizational ID correctly. I can read the Nato symbols or silhouettes just fine and tell if its a regiment, brigade, division etc. but for some reason I feel like I can't get the whole run down worded correctly. Not sure if its that I dont get enough practice doing it or dont have a military back ground but for some reason it always seems to frustrate me.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #17 on: April 07, 2022, 09:18:08 PM
I feel like I can't get the whole run down worded correctly. Not sure if its that I dont get enough practice doing it or dont have a military back ground but for some reason it always seems to frustrate me.

It's not that difficult once you get the hang of it, but like anything else, until it's explained to you, it's a little opaque.

The other headache is that while there are some general conventions, every country has their own twist on it

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

judgedredd

Reply #18 on: April 08, 2022, 02:41:56 AM
It doesn't help that the yanks - like they did with dates - put it arse about face  :censored:

:hug:

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #19 on: April 08, 2022, 07:37:23 AM
It doesn't help that the yanks - like they did with dates - put it arse about face  :censored:

QFT!

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

judgedredd

Reply #20 on: April 08, 2022, 07:41:06 AM

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #21 on: April 08, 2022, 07:53:00 AM
I'd love to see them do a continuation of Normandy '44. I've played to the end several times and always feel disappointed because I can't keep going :-)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 04:41:39 PM by bob48 »

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

judgedredd

Reply #22 on: April 08, 2022, 04:14:07 PM
Thanks to bob  :hug:

Doctor Quest

• Corporal
  • I'm not a real doctor.
Reply #23 on: April 08, 2022, 05:31:10 PM
Looks great but when are you going to finish the P-47?  :bigthumb:

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Something so addictive about the whole kill and loot dynamic, though." - Gusington

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #24 on: April 08, 2022, 05:59:20 PM
...as soon as he needs to call in some Tac Air Support..............

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

judgedredd

Reply #25 on: April 09, 2022, 02:56:22 AM
Ha. My war gaming table had been emptied so I could concentrate on modelling. I finished and sold my A-10 (which had been on the table for well over a year) and I decided I was enjoying it so I started the P-47

Unfortunately talk of this game got me thinking about it so I couldn't resist. I was planning on completing the P-47 by Sunday but it'll be next Sunday now I imagine

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #26 on: April 09, 2022, 12:33:17 PM
I played Normandy '44 7-8 times with a friend and picked up Holland '44 which I played 5-6 times with different people.  I tried Ukraine '43 once and started a game of Ardennes '44 but we didn't get too far into it before a vomiting kid put an early end to my offensive.

I ended up selling my copy of Holland '44.  The game was decent but I felt like we'd really explored what it had to offer after the 4th play session.  Much like Normandy '44, it started to feel a bit too samey and that we were just repeating the same exercise over again and just hoping for different dice results rather than exploring new tactics.   I guess that's the drawback of games that focus on recreating a historical event when compared to games that are scenario based.  There just isn't the same variety as one can find with a LnL title.

Doctor Quest

• Corporal
  • I'm not a real doctor.
Reply #27 on: April 09, 2022, 03:43:18 PM
Ha. My war gaming table had been emptied so I could concentrate on modelling. I finished and sold my A-10 (which had been on the table for well over a year) and I decided I was enjoying it so I started the P-47

Unfortunately talk of this game got me thinking about it so I couldn't resist. I was planning on completing the P-47 by Sunday but it'll be next Sunday now I imagine

Pix, please, kind sir!

"Something so addictive about the whole kill and loot dynamic, though." - Gusington

judgedredd

Reply #28 on: April 09, 2022, 03:52:30 PM
Of? The A10? It's gone

Doctor Quest

• Corporal
  • I'm not a real doctor.
Reply #29 on: April 09, 2022, 04:08:12 PM
Sorry, no. The P-47 when complete.  :notworthy: