Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: TROY: A Total War Saga  (Read 27604 times)

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #15 on: July 28, 2021, 12:15:59 PM
Sadly no :/

Always do what you feel is best.

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #16 on: July 28, 2021, 01:31:42 PM
Sadly no :/

Still...I think that's a little more information than we strictly needed.

"Man...knowing how to use the cards properly certainly changes how I play the game" -- judgedredd

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #17 on: July 28, 2021, 03:12:49 PM
That year went by pretty quick! I pre-ordered the Big Kahuna edition last night (with all DLC) because I will never buy anything on Epic and I am a gaming strumpet. I love the idea of turning mythology on and off, and what better period to do it in than this one!

I'll admit that if CA had an edition that included everything, but minus the Mythos DLC, I'd probably order it.  I'm not going to purchase an edition that includes content I'm never going to use, however. 

The Troy era has never interested me, to be honest, but the way CA appears to have put this game together has moistened the old loins.

I've long been fascinated by the "Trojan War" (assuming it actually happened) and the ancient cultures associated with it (Mycenaean and "Achaeans"), though from more of a historical standpoint.  I was interested in -- though not overly impressed with -- how the initial game was presented, so this is indeed a welcome development. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #18 on: July 28, 2021, 03:17:18 PM
Intrigued

I struggled the other day with 1212 without spells and dragons but I can adjust I reckon

What I’ve read about the mythological characters is you have to catch them first during missions and then ‘train’ them before they join your roster along with their followers - sounds great to me

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #19 on: July 28, 2021, 06:28:22 PM
I definitely like the mix of specific history and mythology.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #20 on: July 28, 2021, 09:41:18 PM
I am pretty excited about this TW release. Really like the era and the fact the mythological creatures are being woven into it is really cool.

That being said it'll go on my wish list and wait for a sale.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #21 on: July 29, 2021, 03:06:21 AM
About the only mythological aspect of the I'm interested are the Amazons.  That's the one DLC I'm for sure planning to purchase (alongside the base game). 

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #22 on: July 29, 2021, 11:03:47 PM
I am hoping there is a Lesbos Army.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #23 on: July 30, 2021, 01:38:27 AM
The dream lives on... 

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #24 on: July 30, 2021, 08:02:23 AM
I am hoping there is a Lesbos Army.

there are probably entire websites of that for you  :-*

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #25 on: August 12, 2021, 12:32:08 AM
CA talks details regarding the new historical mode/campaign coming next month.  (Not gonna lie; this is almost exactly what I was hoping to see.. :D

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/troy-historical-mode/

The biggest changes for Historical Mode are: 

1.)  Heroes will now be accompanied by a bodyguard unit.  These can be swapped/upgraded as the game progresses. 

2.)  Mythic units -- and abilities -- will (unsurprisingly) be removed.  No more insta-healing, and more killing entire enemy units with one attack. 

3.)  The supply system is being replaced with a new feature, Administration, as players found the former to be frustratingly uneven and difficult to manage.  Administration is being added to all three campaign modes. 

« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 02:41:34 PM by Martok »

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #26 on: August 12, 2021, 11:51:22 AM
Hmm I will have a hard time deciding which mode to play in first. I'm leaning towards 'myth mode' for something new and fancy.

I also get the very strong vibe that CA held back on a lot of these features on purpose until the Steam release.

Even though Epic users got the game for free, isn't all the fanfare, DLC and new features kind of a middle finger to Epic as a whole?

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #27 on: August 12, 2021, 02:51:19 PM
Hmm I will have a hard time deciding which mode to play in first. I'm leaning towards 'myth mode' for something new and fancy.

For me, it's an easy choice.  For whatever reason, the mythological mode holds no appeal for me; I've always wanted a more historical game.  (I"m very aware I'm in the minority in this regard.) 

But then, I still intend to get the Amazons DLC...  ::) 

I also get the very strong vibe that CA held back on a lot of these features on purpose until the Steam release.

Even though Epic users got the game for free, isn't all the fanfare, DLC and new features kind of a middle finger to Epic as a whole?

I don't think it's a middle finger to Epic, so much as CA recognizing they were going to need to have an incentive for fans to purchase the game (again?) once it became available on Steam. 

Adding in separate historical and mythological modes (ala Three Kingdoms) was the obvious way to go -- especially since I'm willing to bet their own metrics showed that the original, middle way ("The Truth Behind the Myth" campaign) satisfied almost no one. 

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #28 on: August 12, 2021, 03:12:41 PM
I haven’t read anything about mythical but I’m hoping I’m taking the minataur, Medusa, cyclops maybe the hydra

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #29 on: August 12, 2021, 03:24:32 PM
I'm still slightly bitter about the Epic release. I wonder if CA will ever do that again and if it worked for them the way they hoped it would.

Cyclops FTW!