Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Don't Tread on Me  (Read 5333 times)

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
on: May 12, 2020, 07:04:04 PM
This will be the thread for information/discussions/questions/comments about Don't Tread on Me.

Publisher: White Dog Games
Publisher's Page: Don't Tread on Me
Designer: R. Ben Madison/Wes Erni
Released: 2014
Players: Single (Solitaire Only)
BGG Page: Don't Tread on Me

Don't Tread on Me Playlist:
Turn 1
Turn 2
Turn 3
Turn 4
Turn 5
Turn 6
Turn 7
Turn 8
Turn 9
Turn 9 CTRL+Z
Turn 10
Turn 11
Turn 12
Turn 13
Turn 14
Turn 15

« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 08:44:59 PM by bbmike »

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

beetcafe

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 08:35:30 PM
Thanks for doing this video series. I was on the fence about buying this game until I watched the videos. I placed an order today.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 07:40:33 AM
It's a great solo game. There's not a lot of rules, but you do have to remember to check certain conditions at specific points. It's easy to forget some of the loyalty modifiers, militia call modifiers, etc. I might clean up my six page rules references and post them here. Let me know if you have any questions about the rules.  8)

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 07:46:51 AM
Good one, Mike  :bigthumb:

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Dalinore

• Trooper
Reply #4 on: May 13, 2020, 04:53:33 PM
Just got around to watching your series, good episodes mike. Trust me in SNF, those rollers hate me.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #5 on: May 13, 2020, 06:45:42 PM
Thanks! I'm convinced that the physics of the roller is messed up.  8)

-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

TEK963

• Fresh Recruit
Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 04:26:27 PM
Hello, Mike.  Thanks for these videos.  They’ve been extremely helpful and I’m enjoying them.  I’d love to see you finish the game.  I’m starting to really get the feel for this one ... in fact, in turn 5 weren’t you supposed pay to attack with your navy?

Your map is beautiful by the way.  I’d hang it above the mantel if my wife would let me.

Since you asked, I’d like to see a play through of Jeff Davis by same designer.  It probably has a similar feel so you might not want to do these back to back.  Just my 2 cents...

Thanks again!

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #7 on: May 22, 2020, 05:17:39 PM
TEK963, welcome to Armchair Dragoons! Glad you found the site!

... in fact, in turn 5 weren’t you supposed pay to attack with your navy?

I can't believe I missed that! Yes, I did forget to pay for both ships, good catch. That and tossing the eliminated Continentals into the Force Pool are new mistakes for me.  8)

So, here's a list of games I have by Ben Madison. You might notice I'm a bit of a Ben Madison fan boy:

Swing States 2012
N: The Napoleonic Wars
Mrs. Thatcher's War
Jeff Davis: The Confederacy at War
Absolute Victory (I can't wait to get this monster to the table at some point!)

And here's one I'm looking forward to:
Age of Columbus 2021

I recently purchased Jeff Davis: The Confederacy at War so I will add it to the list as you recommended. It won't be next but the game after Don't Tread on Me is a Civil War game.

-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

TEK963

• Fresh Recruit
Reply #8 on: May 22, 2020, 09:31:15 PM
I’m familiar with a few of those titles, but not all.   I’ve now got a few more games to research.  I’m looking forward to whatever you choose next. Via Twitter, I’ve managed to double your compensation for creating these videos.  My apologies if I’ve unintentionally pushed you into a higher tax bracket.  I’m new to all this social media, so forgive me if my comments are misplaced.  I’ll be making my own attempt to quell the rebellion this weekend.   For King and Country!

TEK963

• Fresh Recruit
Reply #9 on: May 27, 2020, 11:59:51 AM
I was able to get a couple of partial plays in over the weekend. I didn’t get past turn 9. This is definitely the longest playing solo game I’ve tried.  It took me nearly 30 min per turn which puts the complete game at 8 hours. This should come down as I get more familiar with it and spend less time with my nose in the rule book. Although I didn’t get to the finish line, it was a lot of fun. Some early major campaigns through me for a loop, but then nature took revenge for me as small pox wiped out a once powerful rebel army. This game tells a great story. I think it will unfold quite differently from play to play.  I look forward to trying this one again.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #10 on: May 27, 2020, 03:30:12 PM
Gameplay will go faster as you learn the rules and I don't think it's uncommon to finish at turn 9.  8)

-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #11 on: June 12, 2020, 05:23:57 PM
A look at what my Don't Tread on Me custom map looks like on the table. I think I used Print & Play Games to print it out. I'll see if I can dig up the original file and post it here if anyone is interested.

-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #12 on: June 12, 2020, 06:03:54 PM
Looks good, Mike - the practice will be useful for when you do 'The Scheldt Campaign'................ :whistle:

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #13 on: June 12, 2020, 10:57:24 PM
That's a pretty map.  :applause:

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #14 on: July 03, 2020, 12:19:32 PM

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love