Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Predictive powers of older wargames?  (Read 3954 times)

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
on: August 06, 2020, 10:52:43 AM
From '75-'88 or so, there were a whole bunch of 'Cold War' era wargames that focused on the NATO-Warsaw Pact shooting-war-that-never-was but there were also a variety of other 'hypothetical' modern-era (i.e., post-Vietnam) games that tried to project some future conflicts

I'm not talking about the ones like the Arab-Israeli Wars box that was built 90% on actual showing engagements around the wars in the 50s/60s/70s, or anything that turned out to be 'backwards-looking' like the Falklands games.  To my knowledge, there weren't any games that predicted the Argies attacking Stanley as a 'hypothetical'

The obvious one is the Gulf Strike game, that was rapidly bolstered with a Desert Shield / Desert Storm expansion.

Another one I keep thinking about was the SPI ModQuad2 game Yugoslavia that included a variant scenario that hypothesized a Serb/Croat civil war that split the army in half.  That game was published over 15 years before Yugoslavia fell apart.

GDW's Battlefield Europe and Test of Arms had a variety of hypotheticals in them, of varying plausibility. (The Belgian civil war was a fun one to read).
The former included Hungary vs Romania, and USSR-Turkey, but also Albania-Yugoslavia, and a big 'revolt in Central Asia' against the Russian/USSR central gov't scenario.

But the SPI ModQuad1 also included Mukden, a hypothetical Sino-Soviet hot-war flashpoint over the titular city, that never happened.

The SPI Oil War game kinda-sorta(?) happened, but not in the way that game hypothesized.
Ditto the 3W Light Division game.
Force Eagle's War never really came close.

So are there any other forward-looking (at their time) 'hypothetical' games that we can give at least partial credit towards for accurately predicting some varying nature of what became a shooting war somewhere?

What, if any, other ones can y'all think of?

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 11:05:44 AM
If the Romulans can successfully convince the Klingons to attack the Federation I think they would also jump in and start a greater war. Federation and Empire would be the best one for predicting that.  :whistle:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Germanmenace1

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 11:13:24 AM
I always look at the IJN's war game on invasion of Midway in early spring of 1942.    It warned the IJN it was trying to do too much, with too few carriers.  The conditions of the game kept being changed to allow for an "acceptable" outcome.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 06:29:47 PM
It wasn't predictive, but SPI's Year of the Rat sold out at the local hobby shop in Alexandria, VA.  Marines from Harmony Hall, analysts at Langley, and quite a few Pentagon staffers picked it up.
Overall they thought it was a good representation and tried to adapt it to later changes in the war.

The earliest version of Harpoon treated US and Soviet doctrine e as similar, so the Langley folks were unimpressed.

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

blackndecker

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr. Trooper
Reply #4 on: August 07, 2020, 08:01:35 AM
I always look at the IJN's war game on invasion of Midway in early spring of 1942.    It warned the IJN it was trying to do too much, with too few carriers.  The conditions of the game kept being changed to allow for an "acceptable" outcome.

From that perspective, we have the series of US Naval War College games that could be added to the mix too. They might not have perfectly predicted the start of the war...or Japan's kamikaze tactics (as Nimitz offered after the war), but they did reveal strategic and operational level "insights" that informed US strategy, planning, and operations.

"Dream the dream of living the life that you are actually living today."

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #5 on: August 07, 2020, 08:04:47 AM
I was mainly trying to think of commercial wargames postulating hypothetical comments that actually ended up happening to varying degrees of accuracy
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 09:00:16 AM by bayonetbrant »

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #6 on: August 07, 2020, 08:49:47 AM
Ah. In that case, Pandemic.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #7 on: August 07, 2020, 09:05:54 AM

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

blackndecker

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr. Trooper
Reply #8 on: August 07, 2020, 09:20:50 AM
I was mainly trying to think of commercial WarGames postulating hypothetical comments that actually ended up happening to varying degrees of accuracy

I think it's a fascinating question. In some ways, it seems like the question is really about the quality of the scenario and its accuracy of predicting a future war. That seems distinct from whether the game's design had the mechanics that could allow a player to predict how the conflict would unfold.

Have you seen John Curry's presentation at Connections UK 2018 and his essay in the April 2019 The Nugget (I think he also had an extended write up after April, but my hardcopy is in a box in a container on a ship)? He also had an article in Simulation & Gaming earlier this year...although focused on professional gaming he used hobby/commercial games too. He made a strongly critical case against the accuracy of late and post-Cold War era games, both in the scenarios as well as how weapons capabilities, OB, and doctrine were "wrong."

In some ways, I wonder if this question...and Curry's argument...sets the bar on prediction too high. We're always careful to emphasize that wargames aren't predictive...but they can predict. :) Please don't misunderstand me, I know you're taking into account "partial" scores too... just a thought.

Patrick

"Dream the dream of living the life that you are actually living today."

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #9 on: August 21, 2020, 06:41:03 AM
One game from that period I remember playing a lot was SPI's 'Fulda Gap' Anyone else remember / play it?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 06:47:09 AM by bob48 »

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #10 on: August 21, 2020, 08:49:12 AM
SPI also had a game on a rebellion in Canada by Quebec.
That one was not a good game.
Once the Federal forces got rolling g, the Quebecoise were swamped.
Great cover art though.

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #11 on: August 21, 2020, 06:13:04 PM
One game from that period I remember playing a lot was SPI's 'Fulda Gap' Anyone else remember / play it?

I had a game called Fulda Gap back in the 90's that I completely forgot about until now. It came in a large zip baggie and had rules for nukes as well. I've no idea who the publisher was or what happened to it. Probably a victim of the divorce purge , much like my motorcycle and radial arm saw...  :(

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #12 on: August 21, 2020, 08:01:43 PM
...and most of your sanity.  :P

-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #13 on: August 21, 2020, 09:09:51 PM

I had a game called Fulda Gap back in the 90's that I completely forgot about until now. It came in a large zip baggie and had rules for nukes as well. I've no idea who the publisher was or what happened to it. Probably a victim of the divorce purge , much like my motorcycle and radial arm saw...  :(

I hear ya brother. My 1st wife got all the furniture and all the antiques we'd bought/collected. I managed to keep the Miata though... worth it.  :bigthumb:

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #14 on: August 22, 2020, 07:43:54 AM
I managed to keep the Miata though... worth it.  :bigthumb:

Not a bad consolation prize at all.  :bigthumb:

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa