Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: This is all Barthhearts fault! Flashpoint Campaigns  (Read 5973 times)

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Playing and dieing like a hero in Natos Nightmare has triggered some kind of 80s throw back entertainment obsession

I fired up Wargame Red Dragon yesterday and had the best 30 minutes of skirmishing in a PC game ive had for ages - i won just, but the sheer amount of hinds and M8s and apaches and longbows and marines with carl gustavs...... i could go on

So thats the board game, and RTS version of things sorted out and i wondered if there was any strategic games out there, not quite as detailed as an RTS but not as vague as a counter of tanks - a few googles later and im looking at Flashpoint Campaigns Red Storm Players Edition and wouldnt you know it - a working 50% off voucher still active from 2021 on matrix that works

What say you Flashpoint gamers - is it a cold war itch scratcher?

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #1 on: May 30, 2023, 12:12:56 PM
Flashpoint Campaigns, both Red Storm and the new Southern Storm, are fantastic games. Very detailed. Operational/Grand Tactical level not Strategic. Great fun to play especially against other people. OJsDad and I played through all the scenarios in Red storm PBEM.

The learning curve is a bit steep in that there's a lot to know about how the order systems works. But you can jump right in and start moving stuff around in about 10 minutes... but the AI will crush you until you work out the systems.

Very well researched. And we know the team that created it. They are at Origins with Brant's crew every year using the game to highlight actual Combat Command decision making. That's a blast too.

You can't go wrong if you have an interest in the War that never was.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #2 on: May 30, 2023, 01:07:25 PM
That sounds great

Which version would you recommend then - I didn’t realise there were a few different options

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #3 on: May 30, 2023, 01:20:29 PM
Both are great. Southern Storm is the newest so has more refinements. I believe the plan is to try and bring the Red Storm scenarios forward into Southern but it may be a while.

Read the descriptions of both to see where the action takes place and decide that way. Or just get the newest one. 😉

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
  • Hang on, let me overthink this.
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #4 on: May 30, 2023, 04:13:53 PM
Barthheart covered all the bases about why both Flashpoint Campaign games are excellent. Here is a good video by Peter Robbins with the new game he made with the devs which will give you a great idea of what to expect:

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #5 on: May 31, 2023, 12:03:02 PM
Ah, good, good, 'Geek has joined the WWIII cabal. Enjoy the learning then we can play that too.  >:D

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #6 on: May 31, 2023, 12:28:42 PM
 :biggrin: :biggrin:

doing the first tutorial now - deffo a sipping a whisky or a cuppa nd plotting evil plans

definitely good for PBEMs - one of the reasons i wanted in  :bigthumb:

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #7 on: June 01, 2023, 02:34:45 PM

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #9 on: June 01, 2023, 06:55:18 PM

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #10 on: June 01, 2023, 07:10:53 PM
Got a few things to sort out then will be getting into it big time ready for non nuclear battles

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #11 on: June 01, 2023, 07:23:49 PM
 :cowboy:

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #12 on: July 28, 2023, 04:15:22 PM
Well, so far UCG and I have played 2 scenarios using the PBEM++ system. Works great, let’s you know when you your orders phase.
He won the first, see AARs in that section, and I just won the second by grinding him down with tons of Soviet arty.  :biggrin:

Many more to come.  :bigthumb:

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #13 on: July 28, 2023, 05:36:04 PM
big fan of PBEM++ so far

as for recent loss - there is a scenario called Steel Rain, it cant be much worse than this one - arty everywhere, and gas, and minelets - theres something wrong with BH

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #14 on: July 28, 2023, 06:13:36 PM
One of my favourites this time was Soviet rocket arty units. You have the option to fire ALL 208 of their ammo at the same time and saturate not only the target hex but all 6 hexes around it. Killed a lot of Yanks this time with that.  >:D

Same units can fire FASCAM, scattered minelets, or non-persistent gas… which of course I had to try both of. I used the mines more effectively than the gas but I’m sure the gas gave UCG a start.    :biggrin: