Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • SAVE THE DATE!  The Armchair Dragoons Fall Assembly will be held 11-13 October 2024 in Raleigh/Cary, NC

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Naval board wargames...what's out there?  (Read 6175 times)

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
on: August 23, 2023, 02:41:22 PM
I have Indian Ocean Region South China Sea, Empire of the Sun and Fire in the Sky...but I have a hankering to boost my capacity of naval games.

Any games must be able to be played solo...so I don't mind two player games where I can play both sides, but things like hidden units are not, imo, solo'able...

I'd only like WWII and anything after. I'd like naval only. I'd prefer aircraft carrier battles to be included. It can be card based if it fits one of the other criteria. It can also be "area" instead of hex based.

None on this top 10 list on BGG strike my fancy at all...
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/69439/top-10-wwii-naval-warfare-games

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 04:22:22 PM by JudgeDredd »

neach-gleidhidh na h-Alba

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #1 on: August 23, 2023, 04:25:27 PM

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #2 on: August 23, 2023, 04:35:25 PM

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #3 on: August 23, 2023, 05:00:04 PM
I'm watching a video at the moment on Carrier Battle:Philippine Sea just now.  But there's only 1 copy available on BGG and it's in Germany. I can't find any other copies in the UK.

I had FCN years ago and sold it - the counter count was ridiculous and honestly a nightmare on the board...they needed some sort of fleet mechanism. I did look to revisit it, but the 2nd edition is apparently unplayable without the addon to bring it up to 3rd edition level...and even then people are saying the 3rd edition isn't as fun as the 1st (for some reason). It chokes me to buy an upgrade kit to fix a broken game which appears to be what DVG have done...though I haven't fully investigated that - there could be a free upgrade from DVG.

Blue Water Navy looks to be the ticket.  :bigthumb:

RockyMountainNavy

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr. Trooper
Reply #4 on: August 24, 2023, 06:53:40 PM
What scale you looking for?

Many, MANY tactical naval wargames out there. Do you like a particular era? Age of Sail? 20th Century naval games run from relatively simple technology of Russo-Japanese War and World War I to potentially complex multi-domain action in the modern (and hypothetical Cold War or Near Future). It's a bit old school but BATTLEWAGON from Task Force Games has long been my go-to for surface combat (it don't do subs or aircraft).

Operational campaign games focus more on getting the right forces to the right place at the right time to fight a battle that may be complex rules or very simple. I like the Fleet Series and the modern South China Sea/Indian Ocean.

Strategic games are highly abstracted, but something like Victory in the Pacific just feels so right in many ways. Blue Water Navy is good but has a VERY steep learning curve. I can't wait for the reprint of SEAPOWER AND THE STATE to come out; the 1980s version is incredible once you get past the tiny, overcrowded counters.

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #5 on: August 24, 2023, 09:03:44 PM
Do you like a particular era? Age of Sail? 20th Century naval games run from relatively simple technology of Russo-Japanese War and World War I to potentially complex multi-domain action in the modern (and hypothetical Cold War or Near Future). .

He's looking for more recent eras  8)

I'd only like WWII and anything after. I'd like naval only. I'd prefer aircraft carrier battles to be included. It can be card based if it fits one of the other criteria. It can also be "area" instead of hex based.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #6 on: August 25, 2023, 06:51:49 AM
What scale you looking for?

Many, MANY tactical naval wargames out there. Do you like a particular era? Age of Sail? 20th Century naval games run from relatively simple technology of Russo-Japanese War and World War I to potentially complex multi-domain action in the modern (and hypothetical Cold War or Near Future). It's a bit old school but BATTLEWAGON from Task Force Games has long been my go-to for surface combat (it don't do subs or aircraft).

Operational campaign games focus more on getting the right forces to the right place at the right time to fight a battle that may be complex rules or very simple. I like the Fleet Series and the modern South China Sea/Indian Ocean.

Strategic games are highly abstracted, but something like Victory in the Pacific just feels so right in many ways. Blue Water Navy is good but has a VERY steep learning curve. I can't wait for the reprint of SEAPOWER AND THE STATE to come out; the 1980s version is incredible once you get past the tiny, overcrowded counters.
What Brant said - and along the lines of scale of Blue Water Navy.

That might be a tad complicated for me - I've heard the ruleset isn't particularly well written. Having said that, I was able to muddle through Fields of Fire and get most of it right to enjoy the game.

I've recently looked at Sink The Bismarck by compass games...not my thing. Also watched Atlantic Chase - again, didn't seem like it was what I was looking for.

Blue Water Navy looks the part - everything I'd like, Backfires, subs, CAP, Tomcats...I just don't know if the rules are going to be a bugger.

I was also considering South China Sea as I have Indian Ocean Region - but I was hoping for something different to that - and Cold War fits the bill, as does almost anything WWII Pacific.

What's the Fleet series?

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #7 on: August 25, 2023, 07:57:41 AM
The fleet series are a bunch of out of print games from Victory Games back in the 80s. All named after the various US naval fleets: 7th Fleet, 5th Fleet, etc

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamefamily/106/series-fleet-victory-games

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #8 on: August 25, 2023, 08:39:40 AM
Ah...thanks.

I seem to recall a game with a Ticonderoga on the front which was a naval combat simulation...can't remember the name of it for the life of me

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #9 on: August 25, 2023, 10:00:43 AM
JD, I might add to the list here, Spruance Leader.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/340928/spruance-leader

I have it (all in to boot, go figure), yet I've not had a chance to try it out yet (again, go figure).

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #10 on: August 25, 2023, 10:55:22 AM
What about all the Second World  War at Sea series by Avalanche Press?

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamefamily/45/series-second-world-war-sea-avalanche-press

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #11 on: August 25, 2023, 11:05:57 AM
JD, I might add to the list here, Spruance Leader.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/340928/spruance-leader

I have it (all in to boot, go figure), yet I've not had a chance to try it out yet (again, go figure).
I'm not sure Spruance Leader is worth £111.

I've had a fair few Leader games and I sold them all bar Phantom Leader which imo was the best one (not even the deluxe version). Also I've read that there's a **** ton of addons making the base game somewhat poor (read lacking) compared to what all the addons add to it.

Having said that, I'll grant you it looks interesting.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamefamily/45/series-second-world-war-sea-avalanche-press
It'll take me a while to look through all that!

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #12 on: August 25, 2023, 11:36:53 AM

It'll take me a while to look through all that!

One note about the SWWAS series - the operational-level maps do involve some blind movement, spotting, etc.  There is an element of "gotta find the guy first" before you close for battle.

Whether or not it's enough to turn you off from playing solo I couldn't say, but just know that it's there.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Rekim

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #13 on: August 26, 2023, 12:46:04 AM
Tokyo Express is an oldie that checks most of the boxes on your list JD. Believe I grabbed my copy in a trade on the old Wargamer forum back in the day. I'm just starting to dig into it and have a freshly printed copy of the basic rulebook sitting on my console at work tonight.

It is another solitaire title from Jon Southard (designer of Carrier) that is long out of print, but can be found for a reasonable price on BGG etc. There have been rumours circulating that Tokyo Express will be reprinted soon, in a similar fashion to Carrier (new artwork + rules rework).

As the name suggests, Tokyo Express simulates the night naval battles off Guadalcanal.

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #14 on: August 26, 2023, 02:22:13 AM
Thanks everyone.

Honestly I think I'm going to take a breath just now. I have 3 games that fit my bill (Fire in the Sky, Empire of the Sun and Indian Ocean Region).

The closest fit mentioned so far for me was Blue Water Navy and that just looks a teensy bit too complicated to get into.

The other game on my thoughts was South China Sea but if I'm honest, Blue Water Navy made me realise that was the era I was most interested in

Thanks for the suggestions...I've pinned this so I can revisit at some point