Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Bar Lev  (Read 3741 times)

judgedredd

on: September 22, 2020, 11:25:27 AM
does anyone have this,

And before there's any speculation,  I'm just interested in the battle...just curious

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 07:02:14 PM
does anyone have this,

And before there's any speculation,  I'm just interested in the battlegetting a new flat so I can fit all the board games I'm buying, like this one...just curious

ftfy :)

I do not have Bar-Lev. That's a Compass title, no?

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

judgedredd

Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 02:39:51 AM
Yes.

I've seen some info on it. I gather it's fairly complicated, lots of counters  and there's an air system that could be a game in it's own right. But It's just - I have a real interest in battles of overwhelming odds and victory being snatched from certain defeat...and I have nothing that represents the Yom Kippur conflict.

I do feel it might be too big for me but like I said I'm just interested in other people's thoughts.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 09:00:53 AM
I have the LnL Golan Heights game, but it's an assemble-yerself affair, and I'm crap at doing that kind of thing.

I do enjoy the aesthetics of that battle, though...very interesting. There was a computer wargame in the late 80s but I can't recall it's title. There was another one called Conflict: Middle East (a computer game also) that I really liked back in the day. Board games are a bit different for me as I don't really have any but am interested, too.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 10:11:08 PM
There was another one called Conflict: Middle East (a computer game also) that I really liked back in the day.

I snuck that game onto the main lab work computer where I got my start as an optician. Must have been around 1993 or 94. It was one of those ancient XT or AT class IBM machines ( or maybe a PS/2?) with green monochrome monitor. While I didn't know that much about computers I did know a little DOS and  the rest of the folks who worked there knew even less so during maintenance cycles when there was down time while we serviced the grinding and edging equipment I'd sneak in a few rounds of the game. Eventually the company hired a real IT guy to oversee our multiple sites so I deleted the game before he got a look at our local setup.  ;)

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

judgedredd

Reply #5 on: September 26, 2020, 06:25:31 AM
I've decided this won't be in my arsenal. It seems quite over bearing.

TTC

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
Reply #6 on: October 01, 2020, 04:49:13 PM
Yes.

I've seen some info on it. I gather it's fairly complicated, lots of counters  and there's an air system that could be a game in it's own right. But It's just - I have a real interest in battles of overwhelming odds and victory being snatched from certain defeat...and I have nothing that represents the Yom Kippur conflict.

I do feel it might be too big for me but like I said I'm just interested in other people's thoughts.

I have it and have played the Syrian front.  (It's two maps, one for each theater--with a different scale for the Sinai map.)  It's not particularly complicated.

The air system is pretty straightforward too--it reminds me of GDW's Third World War series and is definitely simpler than the GMT Next War system's Advanced Rules air rules.

The most complicated part of the system is the command rules (basically the Arab armies need to stay bunched up) and the bridging rules over the Suez Canal and anti-tank ditches.  But those rules are deservedly complex, because the military problem of moving large numbers of vehicles across these obstacles is complex.

The rules do have a lot of errata, and setup is a bear unless you download the player aids off of BGG.

I recommend the game if you are interested in the war.

judgedredd

Reply #7 on: October 01, 2020, 04:57:41 PM
Well... thanks a bunch  :tickedoff:

No seriously... thanks a bunch :bigthumb:

I know there's two maps...how does switching fronts work? Do you have to make decisions about what units to pull out and when or do you either just fight the fronts individually or have to use a double mapper for the full double front campaign?

I really should stop asking questions :whistle:

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #8 on: October 01, 2020, 05:52:53 PM
 ;D

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

TTC

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
Reply #9 on: October 01, 2020, 07:34:10 PM
Well... thanks a bunch  :tickedoff:

No seriously... thanks a bunch :bigthumb:

I know there's two maps...how does switching fronts work? Do you have to make decisions about what units to pull out and when or do you either just fight the fronts individually or have to use a double mapper for the full double front campaign?

I really should stop asking questions :whistle:

The two maps are separate, so you don't maneuver directly between the two.  The Israelis have holding boxes that they can use to move forces between the fronts--or designate which front their reinforcements go to.  I don't remember the rules on switching IAF squadrons between fronts, but there is a way to do that.  (If you're playing just one front, you roll a die for the Israelis each turn to determine the percentage of squadrons available for that front.)

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #10 on: October 01, 2020, 07:40:43 PM
By the way, welcome to ACD TTC!  :bigthumb:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

TTC

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
Reply #11 on: October 01, 2020, 08:15:37 PM

:bigthumb: :bigthumb:

I've been listening to the podcast... and Grogheads before that...  And lurking here once in a blue moon...  And kriegspieling mit some of you...

In other words: "Long-time listener, first-time caller."

judgedredd

Reply #12 on: October 02, 2020, 02:44:46 AM
Do you realise how long it took me to translate "ACD TTC"  :2funny:

Yes - welcome to TTC - and thank you for the info.

I'd heard setting up was a bear of a task...however, I've played Holland '44 and I have around 30 baggies that say it's also a difficult setup process. Also - packing away...I just realised it's all well and good packing them properly - but once they're setup and you're playing and all the pieces are mixing together, packing away is also going to be a bit of a mare.

So as I've been removing units (destroyed) I've been making sure they've been going back into the correct baggy (reinforcement 1, starting unit, unknown unit etc, etc). Hopefully when I finish this will in some way mitigate the pain of packing away

TTC

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
Reply #13 on: October 02, 2020, 02:12:38 PM
Do you realise how long it took me to translate "ACD TTC"  :2funny:

Yes - welcome to TTC - and thank you for the info.

I'd heard setting up was a bear of a task...however, I've played Holland '44 and I have around 30 baggies that say it's also a difficult setup process. Also - packing away...I just realised it's all well and good packing them properly - but once they're setup and you're playing and all the pieces are mixing together, packing away is also going to be a bit of a mare.

So as I've been removing units (destroyed) I've been making sure they've been going back into the correct baggy (reinforcement 1, starting unit, unknown unit etc, etc). Hopefully when I finish this will in some way mitigate the pain of packing away

Setting up can be a bear, and the materials that came with the game don't help.  That's why folks recommend the charts available on BGG.

Sometimes I really enjoy just setting up a game.  One of my biggest barriers to playing more wargames is that, by the end of a long and busy day at work and with the family, I am too mentally drained to sit down and learn a new game.  But sitting down with the counters, slowly setting up a game, orienting myself to the terrain and the units, can be both relaxing and fulfilling, without being mentally taxing.