Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Point Blank V is for Victory  (Read 6040 times)

judgedredd

on: July 27, 2022, 04:55:43 AM
I kickstarted this a few months ago...honestly, against my better judgement at the time. I wasn't sure I like some of the mechanics.

My main beef initially was how terrain played out. A tank on one side of the map could fire at another tank at the other end of the map because there was no intervening terrain - because no troops had been in those sectors...but then a turn or two later, a bloody great big church could pop up and that tank could no longer duke it out. That just didn't make sense to me. At the time, I was playing Fields of Fire where you laid the terrain out immediately - so that might have influenced my thoughts on how this game does it.

Anyway, I did purchase it and I have to say, now I've seen several videos of it out in the wild, it's probably the only game I've ever purchased where I've felt some trepidation about receiving it.

The play-throughs show card management as a real issue. So many cards can be in a sector and yet with only 3 units plus the terrain, it become pretty unwieldy. I personally think the cards look fantastic. But I think they really could have been smaller - much smaller - to help manage them in sectors.

The quality of the product - as always from LnL - does look outstanding.

It'll be hitting my floor sometime in the not too distant future and I can get a look at it myself. Maybe my concerns will all be for nought, but I have to say...excitement is not really what I'm feeling at the moment.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #1 on: July 27, 2022, 07:13:32 AM
All of this is why I didn't back it.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

judgedredd

Reply #2 on: July 27, 2022, 09:26:57 AM
yeah - I think I may have made a boo boo.

Hopefully I'm wrong and the system will work out just fine. :whistle:

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #3 on: July 27, 2022, 09:42:04 AM
Put it on BGG store, quick!

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

judgedredd

Reply #4 on: July 27, 2022, 10:28:56 AM
Nooooo....it might be alright. Right?

Snaekolf

• Fresh Recruit
Reply #5 on: August 05, 2022, 02:02:11 PM
I had many of the same concerns.  But, I love LnLT and NaW so I preordered this one.  I'm looking forward to trying it out and seeing how my first impression compares to how I felt before ordering it.  LnL has done a ton of playtesting so I'm hopeful.

judgedredd

Reply #6 on: August 13, 2022, 03:09:42 AM
Yeah I'm in the same boat...I've watched a playthrough and whilst I still have concerns about the footprint and maintaining card discipline (I kind of spend too much time making sure my counters are straight!), I am looking forward to grabbing it and seeing how it plays out for me.

One other concern I had - watching the playthrough - was focus seemed to be on one or two units.

But...it's paid for so I might as well take hold of it and give it a few playthroughs before making a decision on what I think are problems.

judgedredd

Reply #7 on: August 23, 2022, 05:14:06 PM
This has now landed in the US. A couple of weeks apparently before it'll be in their warehouse and then distribution.

I reckon I'll get my hands on it about November

judgedredd

Reply #8 on: October 12, 2022, 09:59:38 AM
Say what you like about the game - but there's ALOT of shit in this box. Also, they have British, Canadian and Resistance in there. That can't be sniffed at.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #9 on: October 12, 2022, 10:21:02 AM
Say what you like about the game - but there's ALOT of shit in this box. Also, they have British, Canadian and Resistance in there. That can't be sniffed at.

yes they do

https://www.armchairdragoons.com/articles/reviews/unbox/unbox-lk12/

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

judgedredd

Reply #10 on: October 12, 2022, 11:14:17 AM
Yeah - I saw you had it...I'm still waiting  :'(

But also - still confused on whether it's going to work or not. Have you played it yet? NM - I guess that was rhetorical  :2funny:

judgedredd

Reply #11 on: October 21, 2022, 05:12:41 AM
Well....

I've started reading the manual and actually it's pleasant and easy to read. I am already on page 22 already. That is actually excellent for me. 22 pages on a manual in a few hours over a 24 hour period is attention smashing for me.

Anyway - not much to report but (so far) the manual is easy to read and (so far) is making sense. We'll see. I haven't got to LoS yet.  >:D

Ravensworth

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr. Trooper
Reply #12 on: October 21, 2022, 05:44:02 AM
I am going to wait for the reviews and a couple of playthroughs to come out before I commit to all those cards.

judgedredd

Reply #13 on: October 21, 2022, 07:22:36 AM
Yeah - I'm not sure the box that comes with it is going to be very sympathetic to card sleeves - it seems quite tight. It was nice of them to provide the inside to help keep the cards in place - but a teensy weensy wee bit more space would've been cool.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #14 on: October 21, 2022, 08:11:52 AM
I'm not sure the box that comes with it is going to be very sympathetic to card sleeves

There's a 0% chance that sleeved cards are going to fit in the existing box insert.  It would completely defy physics (paging Vance!)

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love