Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: LnL Tactical question  (Read 22281 times)

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #60 on: November 11, 2019, 11:22:55 AM
Yeah I've pretty much got direct fire down now - at least the process. Before I used to get confused about why I was rolling so many dice. Roll for attack. Roll for defence. Subtract and use remainder to add to another die roll and compare to the morale values...it really threw me.

The challenge now seems to be remembering all the various modifiers. I noticed the other night (last?) that I forgot a modifier again. So it's about taking my time and making sure I have all the modifiers.

The DFT modifiers helps alot.

I should make a list of the key points so I have a sheet. For example SDR mentioned about a British unit being able to self-rally in melee. I had read it but totally forgotten about it.

I got my new v5 Core Ruleset today. It looks smashing . It was pricey but I think it'll prove very worth it. The past couple of nights if I couldn't find an answer in the 4.1 ruleset, I'd shimmy on down to the PC and fire up the v5 rules and often find the answer - quite quickly too.

I think the biggest changes between 4.1 and 5.0 are:

Smoke.  If you are successful getting an MMC to deploy smoke, you can now have them move if (I believe) a -1MP penalty whereas before they'd get an ops complete marker and be stuck.

LOS.  You can now see between two hexes with buildings in them as long as the LOS doesn't cross the actual building artwork.  You take a penalty for op firing through such a narrow gap but it's no longer totally blocked as it was previously.

Assault Fire.  Assault move capable units can now assault fire.  This lets them fire and then move up to half their MP.  This rule is the one that gives me the most problems because, IMO, they way they handle it is really clunky. 

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #61 on: November 11, 2019, 12:10:42 PM
The v5 Core Rulebook is a thing of beauty.  :bigthumb:

I didn't know you played!  :o

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #62 on: November 11, 2019, 01:24:04 PM
The v5 Core Rulebook is a thing of beauty.  :bigthumb:

I didn't know you played!  :o

You were at Origins when I bought it! As for actually play it...

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

judgedredd

Reply #63 on: November 11, 2019, 02:55:31 PM
Yeah I've pretty much got direct fire down now - at least the process. Before I used to get confused about why I was rolling so many dice. Roll for attack. Roll for defence. Subtract and use remainder to add to another die roll and compare to the morale values...it really threw me.

The challenge now seems to be remembering all the various modifiers. I noticed the other night (last?) that I forgot a modifier again. So it's about taking my time and making sure I have all the modifiers.

The DFT modifiers helps alot.

I should make a list of the key points so I have a sheet. For example SDR mentioned about a British unit being able to self-rally in melee. I had read it but totally forgotten about it.

I got my new v5 Core Ruleset today. It looks smashing . It was pricey but I think it'll prove very worth it. The past couple of nights if I couldn't find an answer in the 4.1 ruleset, I'd shimmy on down to the PC and fire up the v5 rules and often find the answer - quite quickly too.

I think the biggest changes between 4.1 and 5.0 are:

Smoke.  If you are successful getting an MMC to deploy smoke, you can now have them move if (I believe) a -1MP penalty whereas before they'd get an ops complete marker and be stuck.

LOS.  You can now see between two hexes with buildings in them as long as the LOS doesn't cross the actual building artwork.  You take a penalty for op firing through such a narrow gap but it's no longer totally blocked as it was previously.

Assault Fire.  Assault move capable units can now assault fire.  This lets them fire and then move up to half their MP.  This rule is the one that gives me the most problems because, IMO, they way they handle it is really clunky.
In some of the rules I've had to check, there's been additional text and better explanation. Worth the money.

judgedredd

Reply #64 on: November 14, 2019, 02:24:29 PM
Right - Turn 4 and the LVTP7s arrive with the reinforcements. They are heading straight for Government House.

It costs them 4 MPs to move into an ocean hex (even though the TEC says it costs 3 MPs) and 2MPs to move into a beach hex. They stay clear of the British north at the Marine barracks as there's no movement penalty for moving on gorse or clear hexes for tracked vehicles.

I used a random 8 roll die again to determine what hex they started in.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #65 on: November 14, 2019, 02:46:03 PM
 :rockon:

judgedredd

Reply #66 on: November 14, 2019, 02:56:48 PM
Oh - I forgot to mention, they are unbuttoned. If they don't get initiative, they stay unbuttoned until their impulse...can the sniper have a go (being unbuttoned) and if so, what kind of damage is likely? I'm off to look at v5 rules to check. I know the sniper can't do any damage to the vehicle (I presume!) but can they injure the soldiers inside?

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #67 on: November 14, 2019, 03:06:47 PM
The worst the sniper can do is shake the crew of the vehicle. Unbuttoned just means a crew member has his head stuck out. The passengers are not exposed.

judgedredd

Reply #68 on: November 14, 2019, 03:23:44 PM
Thanks Barth - but I just want to check please...

This says that a damage check is taken by the passengers and specifically mentions that only external passengers are checked if the vehicle is buttoned. This vehicle is unbuttoned.

I know it's just a sniper, but the rule earlier on does say about SMCs attacking an armoured vehicle (not shown in my image). I don't see how the sniper could do any damage to the vehicle clearly, but the rule does suggest a damage check for passengers in an unbuttoned armoured vehicle which this is.

The way I read this, if I do perform a damage check, I do as I do with any sniper attack on multiple MMCs and SMCs and attack one.

Are you sticking by only targeting the crew? If so, I will bow to your experience

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #69 on: November 14, 2019, 04:17:17 PM
We had this conversation on the LnLP forums some time back, in fact twice.
https://forums.lnlpublishing.com/threads/snipers-vs-vehicles.5356/

The thread at the link above agrees with you. And we never did get an official ruling.

I just find it hard to accept that a sniper would be able to fire in through an open hatch and affect internal passengers inside a vehicle.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #70 on: November 14, 2019, 04:32:42 PM

I just find it hard to accept that a sniper would be able to fire in through an open hatch and affect internal passengers inside a vehicle.

Is this LnL Tactical, or LnL Hollywood?  ;)

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

judgedredd

Reply #71 on: November 14, 2019, 04:36:08 PM

The thread at the link above agrees with you. And we never did get an official ruling.

I agree fwiw. It was a moot point anyway - the sniper wasn't going to get a shot.

I decided to post this before I forgot...The lead LVTP7 moved forward for AM. It moved 6 hexes and was engaged by the Medic and the 2 squads  (one with a LAW SW). Unbelievably,  the Brits fired the LAW and rolled a 3. At a range of 6, the LAW needed a 3 to hit and got it (I think it actually only needed a 2 because the target was moving)! They then rolled a 3 and added the penetration value of 8 for the LAW 11. The LVTP7 rolled a 4 and added with it's value of 2 for frontal armour, a 6 is less than 11 and so the LVTP7 was destroyed.

Doing a bail-out check, only the commander survived shaken. The 2 squads were killed and the SW was destroyed.

Very lucky for the Brits I think. rolling a 3 on 2D6 was lucky.

judgedredd

Reply #72 on: November 14, 2019, 05:56:53 PM
The squad with Lt Smith attempted to lay smoke and failed. They were marked with Ops Complete.

The Argentinians haven't been very lucky. The other LVTP7 moved along the road and into the LOS of Lt Smith. Although they were marked as Ops Complete, they are allowed to Op Fire. They couldn't fire their LAW as they are in a building (I just notice that) so they opened up with their IFP. They didn't affect the vehicle so no DC (damage check) on the occupants.

They continued along the road moving at full speed to Government House. Although they passed the hex with Lt Smith, the British were not spotted because the vehicle continued onwards. They were then attacked with the squad residing with the Medic on the approach to Government House. They managed to shake the vehicle and the occupants inside.

Cpt Edwards and his squad with their SW opened up and had some rather poor rolls - making no hits. I might not have been allowed to do this. IIRC I can Op Fire up to the value of the MP cost of the hex being moved into. As the LVTP7 was moving on a road at a cost of 1MP, then I don't think Cpt Edwards should've been able to attack as the squad with the medic had already done so.

As Lt Smith opened up on the LVTP7, they were spotted and so The Argentinian officer, two squads and SW open fire on them and perform dismally.

The sniper then targets The Argentinian officer and his squads and also fails.

The dice just weren't rolling - they seemed to have been all used up on the first LVTP7.

It looks like this might be all over for the Argentinians. They've got no way of getting to Government House. The officer is at the lower end of the map and shaken. The squad shaken in the LVTP7 at the north end of the map is shaken as is the LVTP7 and so cannot move towards Government House. They already currently own all 3 Marine Barracks buildings and the points that go with them...unless the Brits can tek them back. So I can't see them gaining anymore points.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #73 on: November 15, 2019, 01:40:52 AM

I agree fwiw. It was a moot point anyway - the sniper wasn't going to get a shot.

I decided to post this before I forgot...The lead LVTP7 moved forward for AM. It moved 6 hexes and was engaged by the Medic and the 2 squads  (one with a LAW SW). Unbelievably,  the Brits fired the LAW and rolled a 3. At a range of 6, the LAW needed a 3 to hit and got it (I think it actually only needed a 2 because the target was moving)! They then rolled a 3 and added the penetration value of 8 for the LAW 11. The LVTP7 rolled a 4 and added with it's value of 2 for frontal armour, a 6 is less than 11 and so the LVTP7 was destroyed.

Doing a bail-out check, only the commander survived shaken. The 2 squads were killed and the SW was destroyed.

Very lucky for the Brits I think. rolling a 3 on 2D6 was lucky.

It’s -1 for firing at a moving vehicle, +1 for firing at moving infantry.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #74 on: November 15, 2019, 01:43:05 AM
The squad with Lt Smith attempted to lay smoke and failed. They were marked with Ops Complete.

The Argentinians haven't been very lucky. The other LVTP7 moved along the road and into the LOS of Lt Smith. Although they were marked as Ops Complete, they are allowed to Op Fire. They couldn't fire their LAW as they are in a building (I just notice that) so they opened up with their IFP. They didn't affect the vehicle so no DC (damage check) on the occupants.

They continued along the road moving at full speed to Government House. Although they passed the hex with Lt Smith, the British were not spotted because the vehicle continued onwards. They were then attacked with the squad residing with the Medic on the approach to Government House. They managed to shake the vehicle and the occupants inside.

Cpt Edwards and his squad with their SW opened up and had some rather poor rolls - making no hits. I might not have been allowed to do this. IIRC I can Op Fire up to the value of the MP cost of the hex being moved into. As the LVTP7 was moving on a road at a cost of 1MP, then I don't think Cpt Edwards should've been able to attack as the squad with the medic had already done so.

As Lt Smith opened up on the LVTP7, they were spotted and so The Argentinian officer, two squads and SW open fire on them and perform dismally.

The sniper then targets The Argentinian officer and his squads and also fails.

The dice just weren't rolling - they seemed to have been all used up on the first LVTP7.

It looks like this might be all over for the Argentinians. They've got no way of getting to Government House. The officer is at the lower end of the map and shaken. The squad shaken in the LVTP7 at the north end of the map is shaken as is the LVTP7 and so cannot move towards Government House. They already currently own all 3 Marine Barracks buildings and the points that go with them...unless the Brits can tek them back. So I can't see them gaining anymore points.

Correct. Cpt. Edwards could not Op Fire. But then could immediately do regular fire at them anyway so it’s a wash in this situation.