Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: This Day in History  (Read 199837 times)

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
  • Hang on, let me overthink this.
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #555 on: September 01, 2020, 12:33:41 PM
I hope this doesn't seem trite and yet I will include this in the thread. 81 years ago today, Germany invaded Poland, starting the path toward World War Two.

Here's what the New York Times front page looked like:

Source: New York Times, 1 Sept. 1939 - ProQuest

Instead of linking to a wargame about this event, I'll link to a book. There are so many to choose from I wasn't sure which to pick. I decided upon Reporting World War II published by the Library of America. Therein you will find a Sigred Schultz's "At dawn this morning Hitler moved against Poland: War begins: September 1-3, 1939".

I know getting books from libraries are difficult right now due to the pandemic. Hopefully if your local library has this book, they also provide a curb side pick-up.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #556 on: September 01, 2020, 12:41:52 PM
David Thompson is working on a new game, Soldiers in Postmen's Uniforms, detailing the defense of a Polish post office in Danzig during that first day of the German invasion of Poland. The game utilizes his excellent system from both Pavlov's House and Castle Itter, so it is a solitaire game where you control the Polish defenders versus the German AI.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1839997/soldiers-postmens-uniforms-defense-polish-post-off/page/1

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #557 on: September 01, 2020, 01:13:37 PM
David Thompson is working on a new game, Soldiers in Postmen's Uniforms, detailing the defense of a Polish post office in Danzig during that first day of the German invasion of Poland. The game utilizes his excellent system from both Pavlov's House and Castle Itter, so it is a solitaire game where you control the Polish defenders versus the German AI.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1839997/soldiers-postmens-uniforms-defense-polish-post-off/page/1

Nice! Thank you for this information, I wasn't aware of it. A quick search shows me it will go the Kickstarter route. I'll keep my eye on it.

While searching BBG I found another game about the defense of the Polish Post Office: Not Yet Lost: The Defense of the Polish Post Office in Danzig It looks like it is a free print and play game by Chris Davis. I am not familiar with his work. You can find the game here: Not Yet Lost

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #558 on: September 01, 2020, 01:40:29 PM
Cool, thanks. I didn't know about that one.

I highly suggest the Solitaire Wargames group on Facebook; David (and many other devs) post there often about upcoming projects.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #559 on: September 02, 2020, 12:36:28 PM
I highly suggest the Solitaire Wargames group on Facebook; David (and many other devs) post there often about upcoming projects.

Thank you for the recommendation. I don't use Fb, so all I can do is browse the group a wee bit and that's fine. I'll check in with the public facing side of that Fb group from time to time to see if I can keep up on their news.

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #560 on: September 02, 2020, 12:52:48 PM
On this day in 1945 Japan formally surrendered in Tokyo Bay aboard the USS Missouri (BB-63), bring an end to World War II. The photo depicts the Japanese delegation sent to participate in the surrender ceremony. The two people in the front are: Foreign Minister Mamoru Shigemitsu, who is holding a walking cane, and General Yoshijiro Umezu, Chief of the Army General Staff. You can find the names of most of the delegation by clicking on the link to the Naval History and Heritage Command.

Source: Naval History and Heritage Command USA-C-2719

There are many games that deal with the Pacific Theater of Operations. I'm will not try to list them all. I discovered while looking for potential games to link to for this post that Mark Herman has designer credits for three Pacific War games, albeit one is a second edition of a game her designed in 1985 with Victory Games. They are:

Pacific War: The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 (1985)

Pacific War: The Struggle Against Japan, 1941-1945 (Second Edition) (2021)

Empire of the Sun (2005)

I think the main difference between them is Empire of the Sun is a card driven game whereas Pacific War is not. I haven't played any of them so I am not sure. What are your favorite games depicting the Pacific Theater?

Don't forget the ACD's own bbmike has a great video about Guadalcanal - A Combat Boots Game. If you haven't watched it yet, what are you waiting for?  ;D

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #561 on: September 02, 2020, 01:46:15 PM
 :bigthumb:

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #562 on: September 03, 2020, 06:07:20 PM
OK, this one is for Panzerde:

On this date in 1651 the battle Worcester took place. This was the last battle of the English Civil war in which Oliver Cromwell, leading his New Model Army, defeats the mainly Scottish forces of the Royalist army.

Source: British Library's flickr account

From what I can tell, Cromwell set a trap for Charles II and Charles obligingly took the bait, hook, line and sinker. The mainly Scottish forces of the Royalist army were out numbered about 2 to 1 by Cromwell's New Model Army. The Scots fought hard and lost. Charles II fled the field and was on the lamb for about six weeks trying to make his way back to France. His escape became known as the Royal Miracle due to the number of times he was almost caught, yet eluded capture. I'm not sure how much of the stories are true and how much are exaggerated into legend. Either way, it makes for an interesting story.

While researching this I found two interesting related pieces of information. They are:

A blog entry by the Worcester Cathedral Library and Archive about Royalist surgeon Richard Wiseman and his book Severall Chirurgicall Treatises. It is a quick read and provides interesting examples of what it was like to be a doctor during this time period. Many of the wounds are treated with egg whites and vinegar.  :o

The second interesting piece of info is, this is also the day Oliver Cromwell dies in 1658, seven years after the end of the English Civil war.

Here are the wargames I found associated with this battle:

Ironsides: Preston 1648 Worcester 1651
This game has two battles in it, Breston and Worcester. I have never played it, so no idea if it is good or not.

Horse & Matchlock: Prelude to an Era
There are 22 scenarios in this game with the battle of Worcester being one of them. I don't have this game, (yet!), so I can't comment on it. If you listen to the ACD podcast you might have heard Panzerde discuss it. It sounds very good and I'm curious to see how it handles the battle of Worcester.

Does anyone else have recommended games either about this battle or time period?

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #563 on: September 04, 2020, 07:00:12 PM
On this day in 1260 the battle of Montaperti took place in Tuscany, Italy

Source: Wikimedia Commons

This battle was a bit confusing to me as I read about it. It honestly read like two gangs fighting instead of two armies, only the gangs were really, really big. The folks on the left are the Guelphs and they are on the side of the Pope. The fellows riding their horses with swords raised, ready to smite all those in their path, are the Ghibellines and they are on the side of German kings who wanted to claim parts of northern Italy, so think the Holy Roman Empire. There was a lot of squabbling over this part of Italy for political and economic reasons which culminated in this battle. The Ghibellines crushed the Guelphs, mainly because a group of Guelphs soldiers changed sides during the battle to fight for the Ghibellines. Never a good thing!

I wasn't sure I could find a wargame about this battle, but thanks to BBG, I found one: The Age of Dante: Montaperti and Campaldino

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #564 on: September 05, 2020, 03:58:10 AM
Interesting!  I hadn't even heard of that one before. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #565 on: September 05, 2020, 08:39:12 AM
Clearly, the folks on the right are coming out of the TARDIS. I suspect the Doctor's involvement in this one. Most likely the First Doctor.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #566 on: September 05, 2020, 11:17:44 AM
Clearly, the folks on the right are coming out of the TARDIS. I suspect the Doctor's involvement in this one. Most likely the First Doctor.

I had not noticed that until you pointed it out!  ;D

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #567 on: September 05, 2020, 11:25:15 AM

:biggrin:

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #568 on: September 05, 2020, 11:52:16 AM
On Sept 5th we have the Battle of Virginia Capes, also know as the Battle of the Chesapeake.

Source: Naval History and Heritage Command: NH 73927-KN Battle of the Virginia Capes

This is the naval battle which helps end the American Revolutionary War, or War of Independence, take your pick. What I didn't realize while reading about this battle was Rear Admiral Graves waited for the French fleet to exit Chesapeake Bay instead of attacking them while they sailed out to sea. It might have been a very different result if Admiral Graves attacked the French ships immediately instead of waiting.

I didn't find a game specifically about this battle; however I did find a scenario for it: Chesapeake 1781

This scenario is for the game Master and Commander published by White Dog Games.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #569 on: September 05, 2020, 01:24:56 PM
I've always wondered about Graves' choices in that battle.  Small wonder they're still scrutinized today. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike