Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Twilight: 2000 Kickstarter  (Read 21210 times)

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #45 on: January 19, 2022, 11:22:14 AM
Yes, on the front pa....
Nevermind.

Well, I mean, we *DID* have a banner with the dates at the top of the forum for a month, too...  so even if the forum was the only thing you hit, there was a new image at the top of it for over 4 weeks with the dates.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Yskonyn

• Jr Lancer
  • Running an online thing is like herding cats
Reply #46 on: January 19, 2022, 12:37:13 PM
Its very solo friendly. Even has a chapter in the rulebook dedicated to it, but you reduce the game to a hexcrawler where combat mainly drives gameplay.

judgedredd

Reply #47 on: January 19, 2022, 01:05:24 PM
I don't really understand what is meant by hexcrawler and specifically how it would impact the game

HellCat6

• Jr. Trooper
    • Catastrophe Games
Reply #48 on: January 19, 2022, 01:22:38 PM
A hexcrawler to me is where the party moves into a new hex, rolls (or in this case, draws a card) to find out what they might encounter. They deal with that, with combat, skill tests, or with social interactions, then move on to the next hex. In T2K4e you could add members to the party, gain/lose supplies, or get in a fight with marauders or Soviets.

judgedredd

Reply #49 on: January 19, 2022, 01:38:03 PM
Isn't that how the game plays anyway? Moving from hex to hex and seeing what happens if anything?

HellCat6

• Jr. Trooper
    • Catastrophe Games
Reply #50 on: January 19, 2022, 01:42:28 PM
Isn't that how the game plays anyway? Moving from hex to hex and seeing what happens if anything?
[/quote

It is exactly. That's the definition of what a hexcrawler is. 

judgedredd

Reply #51 on: January 19, 2022, 02:06:47 PM
But Yskonyn said
Its very solo friendly. Even has a chapter in the rulebook dedicated to it, but you reduce the game to a hexcrawler where combat mainly drives gameplay.
So I was just wondering why he said you reduce the game to a hexcrawler when you say that's what it is anyway

It was specifically the phrase reduce the game to a hexcrawler that made me wonder how it was reduced

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #52 on: January 19, 2022, 02:12:11 PM

Mostly yes, but the hexcrawl genre is particularly solo-friendly because of the random nature of what's in the spaces when you get there

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

judgedredd

Reply #53 on: January 19, 2022, 02:31:02 PM
So with a multi player game, there's no randomness in the spaces when you get there? Is that because of the GM (whoever that is...like the dungeon master)

Sorry for the questions but I've never played dungeons and dragons or anything like it so I'm a bit lost with how this plays out and there's no videos I could see on YT of gameplay

judgedredd

Reply #54 on: January 19, 2022, 02:33:47 PM
Actually I just found this - though I waslooking for a solo playthrough

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #55 on: January 19, 2022, 04:49:09 PM
Play any RPG solo = Mythic Game Master Emulator

Let Trevor show you how it's done: Me, Myself, and Die
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 04:51:37 PM by bbmike »

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #56 on: January 19, 2022, 05:21:16 PM
So with a multi player game, there's no randomness in the spaces when you get there? Is that because of the GM (whoever that is...like the dungeon master)

That's up to the GM.
Some GMs pre-program everything while others will pre-program some key locations and either randomize or ignore everything in between.
In a solo game, you get to drive your own train, but most prefer the random hex 'exploration' as it gives them more to do through each step and creates a more robust adventure

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

judgedredd

Reply #57 on: January 19, 2022, 05:29:58 PM
Play any RPG solo = Mythic Game Master Emulator

Let Trevor show you how it's done: Me, Myself, and Die
Bloody hell - he's enthusiastic!

judgedredd

Reply #58 on: January 19, 2022, 05:33:44 PM

That's up to the GM.
Some GMs pre-program everything while others will pre-program some key locations and either randomize or ignore everything in between.
In a solo game, you get to drive your own train, but most prefer the random hex 'exploration' as it gives them more to do through each step and creates a more robust adventure
So - hypothetical...

If I was a GM setting up a game for 4 of my pals, I would "write" the game. Determine the hexes that have things spring up, what kind of things etc, etc...and I would be a player in the game...only the Game Master?

Still - I don't have any pals (at least to play board games with)...so I'd have to play solo.

So was the statement "reduce the game to a hexcrawler" meant as a smite to the game...in that you aren't getting the "full experience"?

Still. Sounds interesting. I didn't think you could play these kinds of RPGs solo so I never even gave it a glance. I'll mention it to my pal  :2funny:

Yskonyn

• Jr Lancer
  • Running an online thing is like herding cats
Reply #59 on: January 23, 2022, 04:31:59 PM
What I meant with 'reducing the game to a hexcrawler' is that playing it this way often tends to focus gameplay on combat and loot, rather than playing the game as a full RPG where combat is but a facet of gameplay. Social interaction and character development are, for me at least, big parts of what makes a great RPG tick.
Solo play pretty much ignores this for the most part as there is no way to get the varied and natural interaction from various characters the  way you get when playing the game with more people. It's becoming more like a looter shooter. Hence my remark.