Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: This Day in History  (Read 200030 times)

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #330 on: January 30, 2020, 05:30:22 PM
I thought he was miscast as Lex Luthor, but still enjoyable

He's no Jesse Eisenberg

:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #331 on: January 30, 2020, 11:38:36 PM
Popeye Doyle for sure.  The Polish general in A Bridge Too Far was good.  I actually enjoyed Heist. I thought he was miscast as Lex Luthor, but still enjoyable

There's always Jimmy McGinty

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #332 on: February 01, 2020, 08:10:41 AM

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #333 on: February 03, 2020, 09:09:36 AM
Sinking of the transport Dorchester.
Once well known by all Americans, the story of the Four Chaplains is one of the most dramatic and moving of World War II, as four men of God, of different faiths but with one cause, gave up their lives to save others, to die side-by-side in prayer.

Very early on the morning of February 3, 1943, the Europe-bound army transport Dorchester, with 869 souls aboard, was steaming through the frigid waters of the Davis Strait, just 20 miles off Greenland. At 0:55 a.m. the German submarine U-223 put a torpedo into her. Struck amidships, slightly aft on her starboard side, in her engine spaces, the ship lost power and began going down. “Abandon Ship!” was ordered. Only two of the ship’s lifeboats could be launched. Panic developed, for many of the troops aboard had disobeyed orders to sleep in their life jackets.

Amid the chaos and fear four men stood out as pillars of strength, four men of God, of different faiths but united in their devotion to their fellow man. The four distributed life jackets and helped men over the side, frequently having to coax, encourage, and even shove the faint hearted. Towards the end each gave his own life jacket to help frightened young soldiers who had none, by some accounts one of them saying, “Take this, my son, you need it more than I do.” As the ship went down they were seen standing together in prayer, by some accounts holding hands. It was just 25 minutes after the torpedo had hit. Only 228 of the men aboard Dorchester survived. Many had gone down with the ship, many others perished in the icy waters. No one knows how many survived because of the heroism and self-sacrifice of the “Four Chaplains.”

George Fox (1900-1943), a native of Pennsylvania, lied about his age in 1917 to enlist in the Army, serving in the Ambulance Corps at St. Mihiel and in the Meuse-Argonne, where he was wounded, leaving him partially disabled. After the war he attended seminary, became an itinerant Methodist minister, married, and became pastor of a church in Vermont. Shortly after Pearl Harbor Fox decided to become a military chaplain. His son saw combat with the Marines Corps in the Pacific.

Alexander Goode (1911-1943) was born in Brooklyn, but his family lived for a time in Washington, D.C., before settling in York, Pennsylvania. The young man was active in his synagogue and in B’nai B’rith. During the 1930s he married and had several children, became a rabbi, and pursued an academic career. He joined the Army as a chaplain in early 1942.

Clark V. Poling (1910-1943), a native of Ohio, was the son of a prominent Reform clergyman and religious publisher. The younger Poling naturally gravitated to the ministry, attending Yale Divinity School. He served in several churches during the 1930s, married, and became pastor of a church in upstate New York. He joined the Chaplains’ Corps shortly after Pearl Harbor.

John P. Washington (1908-1943) was born into a working class Irish-American family in a tough section of Newark, New Jersey. An outstanding athlete, after college, he entered seminary, and in 1935 was ordained a Roman Catholic priest. He worked in various parishes before joining the Army as a chaplain in early 1942.

The men were nominated for the Medal of Honor, but at the time Army regulations limited that honor to deeds committed in direct combat with the enemy (at least one award has since been made contrary to this rule), and they were instead each awarded the Distinguished Service Cross, second highest decoration in the service. The heroic sacrifice of the four chaplains greatly moved the American people, who took it as symbolic of the very meaning of America, and as an outstanding example of interfaith cooperation.

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #334 on: February 03, 2020, 09:26:16 AM
Great story! Thanks for the post.  :applause:

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #335 on: February 03, 2020, 09:38:31 AM
Great story! Thanks for the post.  :applause:

+4

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
Reply #336 on: February 03, 2020, 03:30:25 PM
I see what you did there.  8)

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #337 on: February 03, 2020, 10:24:44 PM
Another amazing (and moving) story I'd not heard before.  Thanks for sharing, besilarius

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #338 on: February 04, 2020, 08:26:20 AM
1779.  John Paul Jones takes command of Bonhomme Richard

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
Reply #339 on: February 04, 2020, 10:34:30 AM
Which they promptly renamed, " Hommie Mc Boat-Face".  :nope:

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #340 on: February 05, 2020, 07:31:17 PM

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #341 on: February 06, 2020, 07:23:59 AM
On February 6, 1952, after a long illness, King George VI of Great Britain and Northern Ireland dies in his sleep at the royal estate at Sandringham. Princess Elizabeth, the oldest of the king’s two daughters and next in line to succeed him, was in Kenya at the time of her father’s death; she was crowned Queen Elizabeth II on June 2, 1953, at age 27.

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #342 on: February 06, 2020, 07:38:34 AM
God Bless Her.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'