Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: This Day in History  (Read 199919 times)

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #405 on: February 24, 2020, 05:12:45 PM
Oh!

So its not hockey played on ice then?

You mean this?

No, that’s field hockey. It gets a descriptor because it’s not real hockey, which is played on ice.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #406 on: February 24, 2020, 05:13:51 PM
It's HOCKEY, not Ice Hockey.  :nerd:

Only countries that don't understand hockey call it ice hockey.  ;)

ahem

What? That link leads to a field hockey team... see above...

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #407 on: February 24, 2020, 06:23:30 PM
Oh! So you're just trying to confuse me - it IS ice hockey after all  ;)

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #408 on: February 24, 2020, 07:17:54 PM
OK, so this was Saturday. Should've posted it then.

Michaels was part of a recent NBC conference call discussing his Miracle on Ice call, and he answered the question of whether his call was pre-planned.

“Ken Dryden, who’s phenomenal, he had retired, had never done any broadcasting, was a great partner, a great analyst, and he did so many things during the telecasts. He and I were walking over to the arena. The hotel was four blocks away, and I remember the bottom line of the conversation was if it’s only like 3-1 Soviets midway through the second period, maybe we can keep the audience. Remember the U.S. is trailing three separate times, 1-0, 2-1, 3-2. As it turns out, the U.S. had been out-shot 39-16, so the Soviets really dominated so much of the game, and there was never a moment where I really felt, hey, the U.S. could win this game. Second period was dominated by the Soviets, they lead 3-2, then all of a sudden now you’ve got Mark Johnson scoring again and then Mike’s goal. Now with exactly 10 minutes to go, whoa, holy mackerel, is this possible? And then at that point the crowd is just going out of its mind.

The guys in the production truck forgot to let the key get undepressed or however that works downstairs. They pressed the key down, left it down, and meanwhile now I’ve got a building that’s shaking, a crowd that’s going crazy, and I’ve got to hear all this craziness going on in the truck. So all I did was work in an intense state of concentration. To think about what would be said at the end of the game or how it would be said never could enter my mind. I’ve got to call it pass by pass, shot by shot.

And then just serendipitous that with six or seven seconds to go, the puck comes out to center ice, and now the game is going to be over. The Soviets have no time to mount a last rush. The puck is in the neutral zone. And the word that popped into my head was miraculous. That’s just the word that popped in, and it got morphed into a question and quick answer, and away we went.

But all I’m trying to do at that point is call the game and don’t blow a call. The Soviets could have tied the game. How insane would that have sounded if I would have said that as the Soviets tie the game with one second to go? It was from my heart. It had nothing to do with what it meant to the country or anything beyond sports, but as somebody who’s loved sports since I was five years old, this was an upset. This was a gigantic upset, and so that’s why the word miraculous came into my brain, and I said what I said. But that had everything to do with what an upset, what an incredible moment this is, and not something that I ever thought would live in posterity, because remember in those years, too, nobody had a home video machine, videotape machine, so this is not something you think lives forever. Now of course anything anybody says gets played 18 gazillion times, but that was never a thought back in 1980.”

Most everyone thinks that the US team won the gold medal that day. Even back in the nineties it seemed the collective memory.

Not true. They won it when they beat the Finns a couple of days later.

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #409 on: February 24, 2020, 07:33:58 PM
Correct. Both wins were historic in nature because both the Russkies and the Finns were excellent teams. Nobody ever beat the Russian team, they were all in the Russian Army were essentially  professionals paid to do nothing else but play hockey--- excuse me-- ICE Hockey. So when the U.S. beat them, it was like winning the Gold Medal then. The win over the Finns was also a huge upset.

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #410 on: February 25, 2020, 07:55:24 AM
And the Soviets were so pissed they went on to beat the snot out of Sweden, 9-2. They then refused to turn in their silver medals to get their names inscribed on them.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #411 on: February 25, 2020, 08:27:04 AM
And the Soviets were so pissed they went on to beat the snot out of Sweden, 9-2. They then refused to turn in their silver medals to get their names inscribed on them.

Not quite as bad as the US basketball team in 1972. They have still never even picked up their silver medals after the refs gave away the game at the last second to the Russians

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
Reply #412 on: February 25, 2020, 11:23:39 AM
You gotta feel for the losing Russians, their next appearance was probably Afghanistan.  :notme:

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #413 on: February 26, 2020, 03:23:18 PM

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
Reply #414 on: February 26, 2020, 03:41:25 PM
Happy Birthday Winnie!  :biggrin:

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #415 on: February 26, 2020, 03:45:05 PM
He was a bit of an odd duck.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #416 on: February 26, 2020, 04:13:28 PM
Yes he was, but he was just the man for that theatre, so it would seem.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 04:25:19 PM by bob48 »

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #417 on: February 26, 2020, 04:23:49 PM
True. You had to be a bit of an odd duck to fight in those conditions.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #418 on: February 26, 2020, 04:26:02 PM
Oh aye - pretty awful by any stretch of the imagination.

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
Reply #419 on: February 26, 2020, 07:33:11 PM
He is revered in Israel. Seems he was responsible for training and organizing the first Israeli settlers to defend themselves against Arab attacks in Palestine back in the '20's. Some there consider him the Father of the IDF.