Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Stellaris  (Read 4095 times)

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
on: March 01, 2020, 06:57:43 PM
I've really enjoyed this game since it first came out.  Not always happy with some of the changes, but still enjoying.

The next update/expansion is due out 17 March.

https://www.paradoxplaza.com/stellaris-federations/STST01ESK0055000.html

Here at ACD, we all pee the same color.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 08:28:49 PM
I haven't played it in a while. Maybe I'll try a game after the first hot patch for the 17 March update.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Steelie

• Corporal
Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 09:38:33 PM
I'm glad to see Stellaris still going strong. At one point the community was pretty evenly divided as to the merits of Stellaris vs Polaris Sector, but PS seems to be abandonware at this point. Seems like lost potential there.

Somewhere, somehow, I woke up in the wrong timeline. I'm pretty sure this isn't even my dimension.

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #3 on: March 01, 2020, 09:47:57 PM
Polaris Sector is interesting.  I have it, but haven't played quite awhile.  I don't think it's really fair to compare the two.  It would be more accurate to compare Stellaris and Distant Worlds.

Steelie

• Corporal
Reply #4 on: March 01, 2020, 10:08:27 PM
They both have their good points and play very different. I'm simply disappointed that Stellaris has continued to grow and improve while Polaris Sector hasn't.

Somewhere, somehow, I woke up in the wrong timeline. I'm pretty sure this isn't even my dimension.

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #5 on: March 01, 2020, 10:09:21 PM
Good point Steelie. 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #6 on: March 01, 2020, 10:17:27 PM
I have such mixed feelings regarding Stellaris.  My personal opinion is that the game started off as something special, something genuinely great, but that Paradox then proceeded to slowly turn it into something more conventional, thus stripping it of what made it enjoyable. 

I didn't play the game much when it first came out, but then started diving in around the time the Utopia expansion came out.  I steadily became hooked after that, and even more so when I picked up the Leviathans and Synthetic Dawn DLC's.  (I grabbed the Humanoids & Plantoids species packs as well when they were on sale, as I found they added a nice bit of flavor.)  By the end of 2018, I'd poured hundreds hundreds of hours into Stellaris, and could easily say it was my favorite space 4x/grand-strategy game of all time -- no small feat, given it's my favorite genre. 

However, I was deeply & bitterly disappointed by the changes made in the 2.0 update (released simultaneously with the Apocalypse DLC) at the beginning of 2018.  I ended up sticking with the changes so that I could play the game with the subsequent Distant Stars DLC, but it's never been quite the same experience it once was.  For me, version 1.9 will always be "peak" Stellaris. 

The 2nd major rework at the end of 2018 (the infamous 2.2 update coinciding with the release of MegaCorp) ended any interest I had in the game's future development, as I couldn't stand how the devs had butchered their once-great masterpiece...again.  The addition of districts & jobs added complexity without adding depth, failed to reduce micromanagement to any significant degree, and just overall made the game less fun.  I do not understand why/how other people seem to find it enjoyable, unless those who profess to do so are mostly the fanboys slobbering over Paradox's erect member. 

The subsequent DLC's -- Ancient Relics, Lithoids, and now Federations -- all sound like a blast, and I wish I could partake.  That won't be possible, however, since it would require dealing with the shitty economic & planetary management systems introduced in 2.2 -- something that alternatively spurs either migraines or boredom.  (If I'd wanted to play Victoria 2, then I would've fucking *bought* Victoria 2, thank you very much.)  :vomit: 

So I'm now condemned to forever play Stellaris with the 2.13 version, or occasionally 1.9 when I feel the urge.  And try not to thing about what could have been... 

I'm glad to see Stellaris still going strong. At one point the community was pretty evenly divided as to the merits of Stellaris vs Polaris Sector, but PS seems to be abandonware at this point. Seems like lost potential there.

As good as Polaris Sector is, it was never gong to be able to compete with Stellaris.  While it has a number of things going for it, including an excellent battle system (the best I've seen in any space 4x title I've played), it's focused on the 4th "X" (extermination), and therein lies its biggest weakness. 

While most 4x gamers do enjoy wars and battles to some extent, they enjoy exploration, empire-building, and diplomacy as much or more.  Stellaris has all this in spades, plus an amazing ability to generate stories with all the event-chains, Fallen Empires, and interesting end-game crises.  There's simply no way PS can match that, let alone top it. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #7 on: March 01, 2020, 10:21:59 PM
Polaris Sector is interesting.  I have it, but haven't played quite awhile.  I don't think it's really fair to compare the two.  It would be more accurate to compare Stellaris and Distant Worlds.

Agreed.  Distant Worlds is the only space 4x title out there that can hold a candle to Stellaris.  I'm very much looking forward to DW2. 

They both have their good points and play very different. I'm simply disappointed that Stellaris has continued to grow and improve while Polaris Sector hasn't.

As I mentioned in my above post, PS suffers in comparison to most 4x games (not just Stellaris) from being oriented around war & combat, perhaps to the detriment of the other 3 X's. 

And I strongly dispute that Stellaris has "grown", much less "improved".  If anything, it has badly regressed the past two years. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike