Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: One Rule to Bind them all.....  (Read 1331 times)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
on: December 13, 2023, 06:47:10 AM
Just recently, whilst in a somewhat contemplative frame of mind, I was thinking about how, after more that 50 years of board wargaming, I had encountered games with rules that were either so well written and presented, that learning the game was a delight, while at the other end of the scale, so dire were they as to make the game either totally unplayable, or at best, bloody hard work.

I have to say that, in general, however, most games seem to lie somewhere in the middle of this and, usually, maybe after absorbing any errata, or seeking enlightenment on BGG or yes, even CSW, we reach that happy state of equilibrium that allows play to proceed. As ever, such thing fall firmly into that which we call subjectivity.. Well, at least, that’s what I call it.

Now, I’m not talking here about the interpretation of rules which may be perfectly clear to one person and as clear as mud to another. No. I have already talked about that in another thread, so I aint about to bang on about it again here.

What I seek is your nominations for the game that you thought had, in you opinion, the best, most readily understandable, concise and well formatted rules that you had ever come across, and, obviously, the game of which you thought was the worse.

In order to focus on this, please only nominate one game from each category, with at least some sort of explanation. No prizes for the winner, I’m sorry to say.

Times are hard.

So, for what its worth, here are my own personal nominations;

BEST. ‘Dien Bien Phu – The Final Gamble’ from Legion Games. Designed by Kim Kanger.
Its a reasonably complex game, and yet, the way the rules are written and presented made it a delight to learn. Rather than having just a sequence of play list, which, like many games, has links to lots of different rule sections, this is much more programmed approach, in which each rule is laid out in its entirety, and thus as you go through the sequence of play, each rule is fully explained. I may not have been as clear there as I could have been, but any of you that have played the game will, I’m sure, know what I mean.

WORST. Advanced Tobruk System (ATS) originally from Critical Hit and designed, (I think), by Ray Tapio.
I think this game has had a bit of a chequered career, and at one time was a possible contender for ASL. I remember struggling with the base game for a long time, and there honestly were some good idea’s in there; but oh boy, the writing, layout and formatting was so bad as to make learning the game very hard work, and I eventually was forced to admit defeat..

I seem to recall reading that the rules have since been rewritten, so that may have changed the situation, and if that is the case, then all well and good, but its not a game that I would care to explore again. Anyway – I hated the plain map with all those pesky overlays…..

As far as I can see, the game is no longer published and has, for all intents and purposes, sunk into gaming obscurity, although no doubt there are still some adherents out there in gameland.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2023, 08:38:17 AM by bob48 »

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #1 on: December 13, 2023, 08:32:21 AM
Nice.

Best Written
I have a couple of candidates - but I'll go with RAF:The Battle of Britain 1940. Similar to how you described Dien Bien Phu, the rules are laid out logically "as you play"...so it's like a big sequence of play, but where the rules are written within the sequence of play...very easy to read, understand and play. There may be some off shoots, but generally they are a pleasure to read and understand.

Worst Written
It pains me to say this about possibly my No 1 game of all time...Fields of Fire This is actually a relatively simple game to play - made torturously difficult by the manual. It's all over the place and is riddled - like wood worm - with inaccuracies and ambiguities. Once you're through, you have an excellent game that will just keep on giving...I've said it before and I'll say it again - my Desert Island Boardgame.

Thankfully they are re-doing the rules and from what I've seen, they are 100% better. I'm looking forward to the FoF Deluxe Upgrade kit.

I suppose we should mention that some games, and particularly their mechanics, lend themselves to an easier ruleset being laid out in front of the player.

neach-gleidhidh na h-Alba

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #2 on: December 13, 2023, 08:57:54 AM
Without putting a lot of thought into it (I know, I know  ::) ) the two that pop into mind for me:

Best Written: Old School Tactical Volume 3. I love the way the rules are organized and if a rules question came up it was very easy to find an answer.

Worst Written: Midway Solitaire Deluxe. It was very hard to find answers to important questions that I had which meant lots of trips to BGG. I don't think I ever found answers to all of the questions I had.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #3 on: December 13, 2023, 09:32:58 AM
Best written?  Hard to mess up the Tank on Tank rules (though Peter's originals from the "old" LNLP are more entertaining than the current version of the rules), but I'll nominate Manoeuvre, which I've been able to hand over to non-gamers and have them pick it up pretty ealiy; a close second would be Shores of Tripoli

Worst written?  The Matrix-era LNLT rulebook suuuuuuuucked.  As great as that game can be, there's a -zero- percent chance anyone learned it correctly from that book

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love