Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Thirty Years War army packs  (Read 5301 times)

besilarius

• Corporal
on: September 19, 2020, 07:34:07 PM
https://store.warlordgames.com/collections/thirty-years-war-1618-1648

Warlord games, UK, just announced army packs, artillery, and leader figures for TYW.

This period is not as popular as it should be.  It's a period of experimentation and transitions.  Lots of fun.
There are a number of good books on the war, and one good set of books that were written with wargaming in mind.
Battles of the Thirty Years War, 2 volumes, by WP Guthrie.  Limited production, so overpriced.  If interested, get it through inter library loan.

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 07:35:19 PM
Now you're going to get panzerde all riled up!

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

72z

• Jr. Trooper
    • History Design Center
Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 06:53:49 PM
There is a 3rd volume by Guthrie-  put out posthumously -so not organised the same way; essentially I guess probably was put together as best as could be done after he passed on.  Covering Russia, Poland, Savoy - some of the peripheral actions and periods- I think it covered pre-Gustavus Adolphus.

I read a lot about the period in a variety of books (Guthrie's first volume more than once) -so you could say that it was more done as you might read a reference book. I don't know that I really liked the period that much - I mean you know, it is pretty bleak. Large battles were the exception to the rule and there is far more written about it (especially currently) in other languages -so I never could shake the feeling that there was some critical and commonly known information that just wasn't available in English.

Hoechst is a good example of that ... there was nothing that I found in anything published in English that even set up the battle--- sure they gave you that Christian of Brunswick was trying to delay and slip across the river- but nothing I found until I was scoping out images for graphics an came across German wikipedia ... they don't all share images from one version of wikipedia to another...  the town of Hoechst was essentially sacked several days before - by the side attempting the crossing ... sort of critical if you thought that it was some sort of pro-Christian of Brunswick place to be defended -- when in reality it seems to have been a recent battleground -and would have been damaged in the storming ... made a difference when doing map work.

There were others -but a common theme was trying to slip the noose and get away with a baggage train full of plundered material with varying degrees of success.

But the period - well, I don't know -- you need to have something with a command control system that limits the size and span of armies -as they were not all that big during this period of time.

72z

• Jr. Trooper
    • History Design Center
Reply #3 on: October 23, 2020, 09:09:00 AM
..anyways I got a few of the older Warlord figures from their Pike and Shotte series (including Wallenstein, Tilly, Gustavus Adolphus, and Richelieu) ... and they're fairly substantial as far as soft metal figures go... on the other hand I am probably thinking of them in the sense of painting figures - but not in the quantity that you'd do up an army in.   

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #4 on: October 24, 2020, 10:14:43 AM
The whole Pike and shotte period is a time of experimentation and transition.
Definitely not everyone's cup of tea.
For me, the challenge of hammering out a good battle is part of the fun.  Each side has a different way of fighting and trying to gain a tactical advantage.
This can be frustrating but very involving.
In its own way, this is as involved as how tanks and anti-tank constantly evolved during WWII. 

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.