Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Emperor of the Fading Suns now available on GOG!  (Read 8838 times)

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
on: October 20, 2020, 02:47:13 AM
I gotta admit, I did not see this coming.  I shan't complain, though!  :D 

https://www.gog.com/game/emperor_of_the_fading_suns

Now here's hoping for a proper sequel... 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Anguille

• Jr Lancer
Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 05:54:27 AM
You think i may like it? Or do i have to read a 300 page manual first....(don't have the time to do that anymore)?

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 06:39:51 AM
Nice!

I have a boxed copy of EotFS but have had trouble getting it to run on later Windows versions. A few years ago  I tried a few rounds on my old pentium laptop but that had it's own issues and now no longer works. I've been considering fixing up an old Netvista all-in-one and installing Win98SE just to give the game another try. Hopefully the GOG release fixes the issue and saves me the trouble.

You think i may like it? Or do i have to read a 300 page manual first....(don't have the time to do that anymore)?

I have not actually had a chance to play it much (see above) but it has been talked about for a while in positive terms. One thing I do recall hearing is that there are some glitches with the AI.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 06:45:26 AM by Staggerwing »

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 08:36:36 AM
For real?!?!  :o
 :party:
Bought. Haven't played in ages, not even sure I know how any more. But it was Civilization with multiple worlds!!!!  :rockon:

Now here's hoping for a proper sequel... 

THIS!

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #4 on: October 20, 2020, 08:39:59 AM
Oh, and there were a couple of really good mods for this game. I hope they are still around out there on the interwebs.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #5 on: October 20, 2020, 06:05:56 PM
I hope the mods work with the GOG version.  I used to play the Hyperion mod but never managed to finish a game before getting bogged down in the micromanagement.  Never tried the other big mod (reality? I think).

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #6 on: October 20, 2020, 09:56:20 PM
For whoever's interested, this article takes an in-depth look at EofFS, including both its strengths and weaknesses.  (Sounds like the game's biggest problems are dodgy AI and micromanagement, as SDR noted.)  It's a great read, and made me especially keen to try the game, despite its obvious flaws. 

He also lists the three main overhaul mods for Emperor of the Fading Suns (Hyperion, Nova, and Emperor Wars), along with links and brief descriptions of each.  I honestly recommend go checking it out! 

Having played around with the game a bit last night, I'd say newcomers to the genre would struggle to learn it, but that anyone who has played 4x and/or grand-strategy games for years (like we have) will find it familiar enough.  Fortunately, however, EotFS also includes a set of tutorials, which appear to do a fairly decent job of teaching you the game. 

Anguille

• Jr Lancer
Reply #7 on: October 21, 2020, 03:58:24 AM
Thanks for the comments guys!

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #8 on: August 10, 2022, 08:42:36 PM
[Casts Greater Thread Resurrection]

For those who didn't read the blurb on this week's Tuesday NewsDay, Holistic Design is currently beta-testing a new patch for the game: 

https://www.holistic-design.com/emperor-of-the-fading-suns-wants-you/

I know it's too much to actually hope for, but I'm crossing my fingers that -- among other things, the update add/improves the AI.  That would be incredible.  :D 

W8taminute

• Jr Lancer
  • Put the glasses on
Reply #9 on: August 11, 2022, 04:16:13 PM
I really love this game, even if the ai is questionable.  Nothing else merges space and ground battles in a TBS quite like this one. 

The only one negative I have for EotFS is they had to make it such that factions take turns ruling galactic councils and the inquisitors randomly kill your science institutes.  Really bums me out and thus I don't play the game as often as I theoretically should.

Don't be afraid, don't be dismayed

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #10 on: August 12, 2022, 02:20:03 AM
^  A sequel/remake that addressed issues such as this would be fantastic. 

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #11 on: August 12, 2022, 03:24:51 AM
Having watched people get all frothy and moist about this over yonder olde place - is this still a good buy

And has ghost rider been involved in the new patch?

Cos I’m not playing it without a swishy haired big boobed girl baddie

W8taminute

• Jr Lancer
  • Put the glasses on
Reply #12 on: August 12, 2022, 08:31:27 AM
Having watched people get all frothy and moist about this over yonder olde place - is this still a good buy

And has ghost rider been involved in the new patch?

Cos I’m not playing it without a swishy haired big boobed girl baddie

I recommend buying this game only if it is on sale for less than $10 (or it's equivalent in your monetary system).  There definitely is about 5 hours of good game play and even more if you can stomach the flaws I pointed out.

Don't be afraid, don't be dismayed

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #13 on: August 12, 2022, 09:15:35 AM
Did someone type 'Ghost Rider'? Man that takes me back. I also have a boxed copy that I bought from Son of Montfort, also at Ye Olde Place.

Always do what you feel is best.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #14 on: August 12, 2022, 02:28:44 PM
The game is currently selling on GOG for $5.99, which is around £5 if I'm not mistaken.  At that price, I'd say it's worth getting.