Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Rome: Total War - Remastered  (Read 21290 times)

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
on: March 25, 2021, 03:41:25 PM

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Anguille

• Jr Lancer
Reply #1 on: March 25, 2021, 05:21:21 PM
Just seen it. Looking good. Wondering why though as there is a Rome 2 after all.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #2 on: March 25, 2021, 06:24:10 PM
brings back memories does that

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #3 on: March 25, 2021, 06:27:23 PM
Just seen it. Looking good. Wondering why though as there is a Rome 2 after all.

Why, indeed?  (Since it might not be obvious, I'll point out that my OP was a bit sarcastic/tongue-in-cheek. :P )  While Rome II was undeniably in a poor state at launch, the numerous patches eventually brought it up snuff -- to the point that nowadays, it's a much better game than the first RTW ever was. 

However, Rome 1 holds a lot of nostalgia for a large percentage of the Total War community -- for many, it was their introduction to the series.  I've seen quite a few requests/please over the years for a RTW remaster, so I suspect a lot of folks will be absolutely salivating over this. 

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #4 on: March 25, 2021, 08:56:43 PM
brings back memories does that

Same here. So many all night sessions of this.

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #5 on: March 25, 2021, 08:59:37 PM
I will begrudgingly get this on sale only for a remastered version of the Alexander and Barbarian Invasion (BI) campaigns. The Alexander campaign is the only Total War game I have never played, and the BI campaign is one of my favorites. But I'm waiting for a sale for sure.

Always do what you feel is best.

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #6 on: March 26, 2021, 11:40:48 PM
RTW Was my first Total War game I played. And might be the last one I ever won at.

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #7 on: March 27, 2021, 03:42:31 PM
Heh.  The AI in that game was so bad, about the only way you could lose was if you deliberately futzed around, and/or played with house rules that severely handicapped yourself.  If you couldn't beat RTW, then you probably couldn't pass the Turing Test either.  ;D 

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #8 on: March 27, 2021, 04:16:37 PM
I didn't need to fiddle about with the rules, I was just a shockingly bad player :-)

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #9 on: March 27, 2021, 10:50:38 PM
"Was"?  (Sorry, couldn't resist.)  :D 

Honestly, though, I'm no better.  Despite a lifelong love of 4x and grand-strategy games (for that's what the Total War titles are, even if CA has never called them that), I remain -- at best -- only a mediocre player.  That's perfectly fine, though; it just means the AI in my games consistently provide more of a challenge.  8) 

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #10 on: March 28, 2021, 06:23:53 AM
OK, I admit it, 'am' being the more accurate term :-)

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #11 on: March 28, 2021, 07:24:18 AM
"Was"?  (Sorry, couldn't resist.)  :D 

Honestly, though, I'm no better.  Despite a lifelong love of 4x and grand-strategy games (for that's what the Total War titles are, even if CA has never called them that), I remain -- at best -- only a mediocre player.  That's perfectly fine, though; it just means the AI in my games consistently provide more of a challenge.  8)

I’m watching a guy called legend of total war on YT who with 350k subscribers I imagine plays the game full time - the stuff he knows about the game is amazing - he played the full empire campaign in a 7hr session which I’m working my way through the only problem is he takes the fun out of most it by using the ai against itself in that he has one cav unit he charges straight to the back of the ai army who now give chase, the rest of his army is all archers and 3 melee troops, the archers en masse literally melt any attackers whilst he micros the cav unit at the back and then slowly teases the enemy towards the archers - hugely effective but no fun

Steelie

• Corporal
Reply #12 on: March 28, 2021, 05:12:38 PM
Well gosh, I kinda suck as a player too. Is there a club? Or at least a secret handshake???

Somewhere, somehow, I woke up in the wrong timeline. I'm pretty sure this isn't even my dimension.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #13 on: March 28, 2021, 05:47:40 PM
Both.

(1) You're a here.

(2) Shake, bro.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #14 on: March 29, 2021, 02:49:33 AM
I’m watching a guy called legend of total war on YT who with 350k subscribers I imagine plays the game full time - the stuff he knows about the game is amazing - he played the full empire campaign in a 7hr session which I’m working my way through the only problem is he takes the fun out of most it by using the ai against itself in that he has one cav unit he charges straight to the back of the ai army who now give chase, the rest of his army is all archers and 3 melee troops, the archers en masse literally melt any attackers whilst he micros the cav unit at the back and then slowly teases the enemy towards the archers - hugely effective but no fun

I stumbled across LegendofTotalWar on YouTube around two years ago, and have seen some of his videos.  They can be entertaining to watch, but yeah I wouldn't have any fun playing Warhammer II (or any of the other TW games) the way he does.  His method of ruthlessly employing every cheat & exploit available to win is anathema to me; it essentially renders pointless why so many of us enjoy playing games in the first place. 

Well gosh, I kinda suck as a player too. Is there a club? Or at least a secret handshake???
Both.

(1) You're a here.

(2) Shake, bro.

Bahaha!!  Couldn't have said it better myself, Bawb.  :applause:   

You're already hanging out with the rest of us, Steelie, so no further action need be taken.  8)