Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Old World (Soren Johnson)  (Read 28429 times)

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #225 on: July 05, 2022, 08:28:41 PM
A career or college level course could be made from learning the nuances of Old World. Right now I would fail at both. I fared better as Assyria against Babylonia in my previous game. Now as Persia I am lagging far behind Carthage, Egypt and Greece. Persia is a power with serious military potential but you wouldn't know that from my playthrough :/ Even with my craptacular showing I still enjoy the game a lot. I hope my enjoyment can lead me to getting better.

I too am still in the, wow there is alot to figure out here, I'm terrible at this, but its alot of fun :)

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #226 on: July 06, 2022, 06:31:52 AM
I started a war with Egypt to attempt to reclaim at least one of the cities they took from me…it’s going less than well. In the final third of the game and then may take a break for a little bit. I’ve put about 50 hours into the game in the last six weeks.

Always do what you feel is best.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #227 on: July 08, 2022, 08:30:42 AM
I finally spent some quality time with this and it's really fun. Adding characters was an awesome idea. :bigthumb:
I'm looking forward to playing it again. Plus, it's the first time I've actually played a PC game in quite a while.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #228 on: July 08, 2022, 08:43:58 AM
Despite sucking at it, I do enjoy it.

Reached turn 136 last night and Egypt totally destroyed me. Going to take that break from it for a bit.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #229 on: July 30, 2022, 03:11:02 AM

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #230 on: August 04, 2022, 05:31:26 AM

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #231 on: August 26, 2022, 12:13:14 AM
#96 "End of Summer" update: 

https://mohawkgames.com/2022/08/24/old-world-update-96/

https://steamcommunity.com/games/597180/announcements/detail/3221783406949785424

A bigger patch than usual.  Some of the highlighted features: 

Four new Learn-By-Playing Scenarios

A set of standard games with curated maps. Learn by Playing allows new players to learn the game within a context that is close to the default experience and lets experienced/competitive players benchmark their play.

Dynasty System added for Greece:

For our players with the Heroes of the Aegean DLC they can now play as four additional starting Dynasties: Ptolemy, Leonidas, Pericles, Alexander allowing more distinctive starts for Greece with full family trees.

Improvements to Game Balance

Our community helps build a better Old World and we have made various adjustments to game-play balance based on your feedback. This includes adjustments to family bonuses, archetype abilities, unit and law balance, unit consumption and the ability to trade unimproved tiles between owned cities.

I'm particularly interested/happy to see the "Learn-By-Playing Scenarios" added.  I have a feeling that may work better than the tutorials for some folks. 

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #232 on: August 26, 2022, 09:57:50 AM
^Like me. 50 hours invested but no victory yet :/

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #233 on: August 26, 2022, 04:47:36 PM
What I'm hearing is, Old World continues to offer you a challenging experience.  8) 

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #234 on: August 28, 2022, 02:35:51 PM
^There is no denying that! I haven't played in about a month and now you have me missing it :/

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #235 on: May 29, 2023, 03:36:17 AM
I keep forgetting to post this: 

It's a fascinating watch/listen.  If nothing else, I have to love the genuine passion he clearly has for the subject material, though I also appreciate the time & thought he's put into it as well.  I still think his philosophy on 1UPT is fundamentally flawed, but I can't really blame him for how/why he espouses it.