Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Aetshetics in game design. Does it affect your purchasing choice?  (Read 6075 times)

Windholz

• Fresh Recruit
Reply #15 on: December 09, 2019, 07:36:13 AM
I'd love to say I'm above it, but how stuff looks does play a role in my general enjoyment. It's far from being the most important criteria though. Really far...

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #16 on: December 13, 2019, 01:20:48 AM
Avalanche Press makes up for their mediocre game systems by putting them on utterly unplayably-ugly maps.  Even with some decent topic ideas, I can't stand them.

Hopefully they’re not too terrible.  I just ordered the new edition of SWWAS Coral Sea.  Still looking for a good WWII tactical game focussed on carrier ops that’ll be playable in 3-4 hours and not so complex that it scares away the regulars at the FLGS.  They’re mainly Euro/Ameritrash & skirmish minis players but they’ll play wargames that aren’t too groggy. 

Fires of Midway is a hit with them and surprisingly fun but it’s a card driven game at heart and a lot of stuff like air searches is heavily abstracted.   Battle of Midway from TPS just isn’t very good imo.  Not enough depth and too reliant on dice rolling.  I tried to get them to try Flat Top but the combo of an ugly map, long play times, and a fair amount of bookkeeping stopped it from ever getting to the table.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #17 on: December 13, 2019, 06:21:24 AM
The Avalanche Press naval maps can only get so ugly; they're fields of blue w/ grids on them :)

But I was talking about the land combat maps, especially the operational-level / grand-tactical-level WW2 games.  Some of the PG maps are pretty crap too

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #18 on: December 13, 2019, 06:48:05 AM
No Kidding. The 'Beyond Normandy' map is a joke. Bocage looks like paint squeezed out of a tube.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'