Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Shadow Empire - what say you?  (Read 42458 times)

Steelie

• Corporal
Reply #90 on: June 03, 2021, 05:52:59 PM
Thanks, Martok. I definitely filled that out.

Somewhere, somehow, I woke up in the wrong timeline. I'm pretty sure this isn't even my dimension.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #91 on: June 16, 2021, 07:23:46 PM
Shadow Empire is now available on GOG, *and* is currently 35% off ($25.99 USD). 

https://www.gog.com/game/shadow_empire

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #92 on: June 23, 2021, 03:21:33 AM
Vic has shared the results of the poll he put up a few weeks ago, along with his thoughts & response to it: 

https://survs.com/report/r4wshuqikc

https://www.vrdesigns.net/?p=2066

Overall, it sounds like he has a vision for the game that he intends to continue to adhere to, but is also working to incorporate at least some of the player feedback into future plans.  This may mean that he skips adding a naval component to Shadow Empire (despite it being the most popular of requested new features), but will perhaps put more effort into making the AI both better and faster (although he's careful to not promise miracles). 

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #93 on: June 23, 2021, 08:14:05 AM
It's interesting that most people rated the supply system in the game so high. I thought that was the one thing people disliked the most. Maybe it has already been improved?

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Steelie

• Corporal
Reply #94 on: June 23, 2021, 08:59:01 AM
The poll pretty much reflects how I voted.  Currently the supply system is more manageable with some of the tweaks and options SE has already. The ability to remove supply (or greatly simplify it further) wouldn't appeal to me personally, but adding it as an option wouldn't hurt the game. Sort of like playing Civ at Warlord level I suppose. The artwork could use a boost but personally I think the game plays pretty well as is.

Somewhere, somehow, I woke up in the wrong timeline. I'm pretty sure this isn't even my dimension.

W8taminute

• Jr Lancer
  • Put the glasses on
Reply #95 on: June 23, 2021, 11:33:23 AM
I haven't played this game for quite a while now but I do remember really liking the original supply system.  I haven't played with supposed newly patched in supply system but from what I read I don't think I'd like the new system. 

Isn't the new system a pull system instead of the original push system? 

Don't be afraid, don't be dismayed

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #96 on: June 23, 2021, 05:54:07 PM
I'm surprised the supply/logistics system didn't get more discussion/feedback as well. 

I think most folks certainly like the idea of having one, but that at least some don't care for how the current system is implemented.  The problem is that a lot of people seem to find it neither intuitive nor easily explained. 

Isn't the new system a pull system instead of the original push system? 

That's my understanding, yes. 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #97 on: November 19, 2021, 04:55:56 AM
(Wow, this slipped past me...) 

While at the moment, Vic is understandably a bit more focused on the just-released Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive, he also still managed to quick push out a new open beta for Shadow Empire (v1.10) on Steam to help tide folks over in the meantime.  It's mostly just bug-fixes and some balance changes, but it's nice to see he's still working on the game, despite everything else he has on his plate:   

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1154840/discussions/0/2990917484149750507/

Steelie

• Corporal
Reply #98 on: November 19, 2021, 10:35:12 AM
Good info, thanks Martok!   :rockon:

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #99 on: November 19, 2021, 03:16:57 PM
Cheers, Steelie

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #100 on: December 07, 2021, 08:56:07 PM
So Vic just teased this today... 

https://twitter.com/VRdesigns/status/1468264831060955140

He gives a little more detail here

Just a quick word on Shadow Empire. The plan is to release the current open beta v1.10.0X in early January as the new release version. Best to not release it while my publisher is on holidays, hence the small delay. If impatient please opt in to the open beta.  In the meantime I have started work for adding a major new feature to the game. I’ll need a few months to finish it as it involves a lot of work. I’ll tell you what the new feature is in the next design snippet, but I am sure you can guess :)

I'm only guessing, but last I checked, Shadow Empires didn't have Gaia-class planets in the game.  So the fact that he's adding them in -- specifically, a planet-type with large bodies of water -- makes me wonder if Vic is adding navies after all. 

Steelie

• Corporal
Reply #101 on: December 07, 2021, 10:48:59 PM
Fingers crossed!

Huw the Poo

• Jr Lancer
  • Hullo!
Reply #102 on: December 24, 2021, 02:34:21 AM
I'm pretty sure I read that navies are indeed the next major feature.

So I did end up buying Shadow Empire but, like many people, was seriously hamstrung by the logistics system. I like logistics in games, but this one is insane. Hex-by-hex logistics coupled with a really poor explanation of how it works made for immense frustration, and ultimately I couldn't get past it - and I really tried. It's a shame because I love every single other thing about this wonder of a game, and it should be one of my all time favourites.

So can anyone tell me how the simpler option works? If it really is just doubling supply range I can't see how that really helps; it would make supply slightly less important but wouldn't make it simpler to manage.

Anyway, I'm willing to give the game one last shot. After the next major update is anyone willing to jump into a multiplayer game to try it out?

Huw the Poo

• Jr Lancer
  • Hullo!
Reply #103 on: February 19, 2022, 06:07:13 PM
Geek and I have just started a multiplayer game of this. I've been looking forward to it. I've concluded that one of the reasons I bounced off it before was the massive effect the randomised starts can have on you...turns out I was enormously disadvantaged in my previous game and I just assumed that was how it generally goes. I since started a new single player game and was enjoying it a lot more.

But multiplayer is where games like these truly shine of course, so I've just sent Geek turn 1 and look forward to replacing his cities with large craters. :)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #104 on: February 19, 2022, 06:17:14 PM
 ;D :bigthumb:

Have you found the pumpkin farms yet?

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'